It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Opportunity Rover finds Dome

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 27 2015 @ 03:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: TWILITE22
I get so tired of these Mars Curiosity threads and how NASA manipulates the public. they are constantly taking crappy pictures of unknown possibly man-made objects at a distance just enough to peak our curiosity(pun intended)and there is never any answers given never an investigation of what they are.
this is getting old fast...I'm over it.
It's possible this is what the mission was about from the beginning.giving us just enough to get us curious and never giving an answer.

This is a natural artifact of digital imagery and not isolated to NASA images. Many digital images show strange artifacts when view just outside of clear discernibility. In other words we are viewing pixel artifacts. Our minds try to make sense of these shapes and we tend to see all sorts of things that are not really there. With the number of rover images you’re bound to find one or more ‘close up’ which then debunks the supposed alien base or statue. They turn out to simply be rocks, *sigh. I still find this phenomena and the process of identification to be entertaining.

posted on Nov, 27 2015 @ 05:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Gordi The Drummer
Yes, there seems to be 2 similar formations, could raise more questions(or answers).
Until we get a better and closer view i stick with natural formations.
An image blown up to a 1000% isn't really reliable and you'll get all sorts of artifacts that your imagination start to take over and begin to see reflections on a dome and even lights inside the dome's windows??

I have no problem believing a 'dome' sphere is a natural formation, we got a lot of them on earth, big and small.
The earth itself and the planets are kinda spherish too.

Interesting in what Nasa has to say about it , if they even care to examine it further.

posted on Nov, 27 2015 @ 05:38 PM
link   
a reply to: ArMaP

Thank you for the validation. Not a math wiz. Regardless of what this area contains it certainly is fun sleuthing things out in lieu of any NASA release.

posted on Nov, 27 2015 @ 10:04 PM
link   
a reply to: intergalactic fire

I don't think the shape of a planet is much validation for the shape of a rock. Two different things, really.

Regardless, even if it's a natural formation I feel like that "dome" contains reasonably valuable information.They'd surely be able to extrapolate something about the environment from it.

posted on Nov, 27 2015 @ 10:16 PM
link   
What I'd love to see is a HiRISE image of that area. Could anyone savvy in this field point to coordinates the rover was at and in which direction it was "looking"?

posted on Nov, 28 2015 @ 02:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: Eilasvaleleyn

I don't think the shape of a planet is much validation for the shape of a rock. Two different things, really.

Regardless, even if it's a natural formation I feel like that "dome" contains reasonably valuable information.They'd surely be able to extrapolate something about the environment from it.

They both are natural formations, no difference there. If not so point them out for me please.

I'm not saying the area couldn't be of interest to explore more, i'm just not making assumptions on blown up photographs with lots of jpeg-artifacts. I'd love it to not be a natural formation but first let's get a closer look before fantasizing.

posted on Nov, 28 2015 @ 02:43 AM
link   
a reply to: wildespace

Good question! I couldn't find the direction the photo was taken, but was able to find the location of the rover on Sol 4073 and Hirise image of the area. Attached is a little mock up I put together and some details that may help.

If the scaling is accurate on Hirise the "dome" is about 10'x10'. I'm not a Mars geography expert so feel free to correct any of these items

Sources:
mars.nasa.gov...
hirise.lpl.arizona.edu...
mars.nasa.gov...

Zoomable jpg to view area in a little more detail:
planetary.s3.amazonaws.com...

posted on Nov, 28 2015 @ 03:13 AM
link   

The scale and mechanics behind the formation is completely different. Planets are spherical because of gravity, not wind or water erosion.

posted on Nov, 28 2015 @ 03:48 AM
link   
a reply to: Eilasvaleleyn

Has nothing to do with it, look at a galaxy, look at a hurricane, look at the water running down the drain, all the same mechanism and different scale. But that's a whole other topic and belief.

Want to see more domes from the area...

begins to look like an iglo
link1
link2

Well we also got 2 pyramids on the other side of the hill
link3

The Iglo

link nasa

edit on 28-11-2015 by intergalactic fire because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 28 2015 @ 06:42 AM
link   

Forgive me I just don't see how your links compare to the original image. I thoroughly understand your point on perspective I just don't see comparison.

posted on Nov, 28 2015 @ 06:46 AM
link   

Gravity and wind/water erosion are not the same kind of force, and do not result in the same kind of effects.

posted on Nov, 28 2015 @ 07:06 AM
link   
a reply to: bkfd54

just wanted to make a point.
It's not the same 'dome' just some similar shapes from that same area.

So you believe that every rock in the universe in shaped because of wind and water/liquid erosion?
Ever wondered where rocks come from?

for example, if you brake a magnet into 1000 pieces and put them together, what shape will it eventually take?
Yeah what does that have to do with anything, right, as i said it's for another thread.

posted on Nov, 28 2015 @ 07:10 AM
link   
Going back throught the pages you can see where ArMap validated the distance from the camera lens to be approx. 130 meters or so. This would make the hemispheric object to be approx. 4 to 5 meters in height (8-10 in diameter) and 15-20 meters in elevation from the camera.

Multiple debunkers have gotten on here to say it's just a pile of rocks and, it very well maybe. However, I have yet to see any image additionally provided here of piles of Mars rocks or boulders that comparably look even remotely like the dome in the original image.

posted on Nov, 28 2015 @ 07:11 AM
link   

I appreciate that and the debate, that's what makes this so fun.

posted on Nov, 28 2015 @ 07:16 AM
link   
a reply to: jpants

I did some rough stitching and I agree with you on the size, but not on the position.

Link to 8.0Mb version

Apart from SOL 4073, I think I identified the object in
SOL 3923
SOL 3954
SOL 3958
SOL 3959
SOL 3967

It feels like a rock, but a really peculiar one.

posted on Nov, 28 2015 @ 07:25 AM
link   
a reply to: Mastronaut

According to your work and the tracking map it would appear NASA hasn't investigate this anomalous object. At least yet. AESOME WORK

posted on Nov, 28 2015 @ 07:30 AM
link   
Thx for that, I now see that my linked image from the 'iglo' is the same dome.
Can you confirm?

sry for that rough sketching

sol4142

sol4142all

posted on Nov, 28 2015 @ 07:31 AM
link   

I'd say SOL 3958 is the most pertinent one there as to figuring out what this is. Looking like a rock, unless that's an igloo-style entrance.

posted on Nov, 28 2015 @ 08:04 AM
link   

Ye I'd say that SOL 4142 has 2 sets of photos (I can't stitch them all together reasonably) and the one you called igloo is most probably the dome from the nearly-opposite side.

EDIT: I also think SOL 4154 shows it again.

From the images above it seems it's a composition of 2 rocks, the smaller is hidden by the bigger one in all other photos that I saw so far (and didn't finish yet thanks to the #ty NASA interface).
edit on 28 11 2015 by Mastronaut because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 28 2015 @ 08:23 AM
link   
a reply to: Tardacus
Mhhh, this is a pile of....

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join