It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Thanksgiving 2015: What are you thankful for and/or what's for dinner?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 25 2015 @ 07:32 PM
link   
a reply to: kosmicjack

Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday. Just good food, good people, and good times. We'll be having our Thanksgiving dinner on Friday though, when we can be all together. And I'm thankful for that, especially because until this morning I thought I'd be spending tomorrow alone!

I'm even more thankful because my mother-in-law came home from the hospital yesterday, bless her heart, and can look forward to a full recovery and another Thanksgiving. And I'm thankful that my daughter's health issues seem to be resolving, and she hasn't been to the hospital since April -- and we're hopeful it will stay that way. That's alot to be thankful for

Our Menu:

Roast Turkey
Stuffing
Green Salad
Mashed Potatoes
Gravy
Green Bean Casserole (my son's special recipe)
Broccoli w/cheese sauce
Cranberry Relish (homemade -- not the canned stuff!)
Cheddar & Garlic Biscuits
Tangerine Mimosas
Buttermilk Pie
Apple Pie

I always make about twice what we need because the best part of Thanksgiving dinner is always the leftovers!

My best wishes to all for a special blessed Thanksgiving

posted on Nov, 25 2015 @ 07:34 PM
link   
Wife and little boy had our little thanksgiving tonight, we had pecan crusted salmon with beets sautéed with onions and the greens, roasted potatoes with coarse sea salt, and toasted pumpernickel and a nice red wine.

Tomorrow is family day and we get basic stuff that everyone gets. I am making Parker house rolls though.

Grateful for: my family, this is my first year as a dad and I can think of nothing better to be thankful for. My job, the roof over my head and the food on my table. The coffee in my kitchen.
edit on 25-11-2015 by Mr Headshot because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 25 2015 @ 07:37 PM
link   
a reply to: Boadicea

Buttermilk pie? Green salad? Do tell!

Of course...I did forget to include the gravy and cranberry sauce on my list in the OP - must haves of course.
I used to make a cranberry relish but it must have been awful since there was always tons left, so I gave up.

posted on Nov, 25 2015 @ 07:40 PM
link   
I'm thankful for my dogs. Also, I'm thankful for all you people here at ATS. You never fail to amuse me, educate me, or make me think. So, thanks.
As for the menu: I have no clue. I think there's going to be ham and turkey. Maybe green bean casserole and cranberry sauce (both the home made kind and the canned; I could eat a whole can by myself lol). There might be venison but I'm not sure. I could only hope.

posted on Nov, 25 2015 @ 07:40 PM
link   

Is buttermilk pie like chess pie?

I've never made it, scared of the vinegar...

posted on Nov, 25 2015 @ 07:45 PM
link   

Thanks jack!
Sounds like your house is already A buzz with family and friends.

mystic-mush: Your absolutely right, everyday we wake up in our homes with our loved ones. Its something to be grateful for the second we wake up. Throughout the day little things happen that add to it.
A smile to a passing stranger, can make all the difference in that persons day.
Its amazing how fast and easily we forget how much we all truly have.

I hope you all have a wonderful thanksgiving.

link   
Thankful to be working on a feature movie on Thanksgiving; location only available on holidays...

Thankful for Double time union scale. Union proud, Union strong....

Food available at the crafty truck and catered whatever....

www.sagaftra.org...

link   
I am thankful for my family, for my dear friends, for my church family. I am grateful for living in such a beautiful place, for having a home (albeit humble), a car, food enough and relative ease of life compared with much of the world.

Tomorrow we are starting with smoked gouda, chipotle havarti, brie, crackers, potato crisps, olives, and vegetable crudites with sour cream ranch dip. For dinner we have Tofurky with mushroom gravy and stuffing, mashed potatoes, green bean casserole, home-grown yams, marinated cucumbers, cranberry sauce, rolls, and sparkling cider. Dessert is pumpkin pie, double crust apple pie, berry pie, whipped cream, and coffee with Holiday flavored creamer (peppermint mocha and pumpkin spice).

posted on Nov, 25 2015 @ 07:49 PM
link   

What are you thankful for and/or what's for dinner?

I'm thankful for the NSA Turkey Drones keeping us safe from the terrorists & the hazards of deep fried turkey.

edit on 25-11-2015 by ShadowChatter because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 25 2015 @ 07:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: kosmicjack

Buttermilk pie? Green salad? Do tell!

I think the buttermilk pie is a southern dish. My gran used to make it every year, when she died my mom didn't carry on the tradition, but I made it part of my own Thanksgiving dinners. It's a delectable combination of sweet and creamy with a hint of a tang. Yum!

Of course...I did forget to include the gravy and cranberry sauce on my list in the OP - must haves of course.

Just don't forget it Thanksgiving Day and you're all good!

I used to make a cranberry relish but it must have been awful since there was always tons left, so I gave up.

Oh noes! It sure seems to be one of those dishes that people either love or hate. My hubby and daughter don't like it at all -- But I sure do! I always add a little cinnamon and nutmeg, giving it a warm fall kinda flavor. Just seems to fit the day, ya know?
edit on 25-11-2015 by Boadicea because: Formatting

posted on Nov, 25 2015 @ 07:58 PM
link   

Do you do anying extra special for your gravy?
My Mom makes it just right. She adds tiny round onions amungst other mother magical ingredients lol.

Another thing i havent seen anyone post yet is cucumber salad. Sour creme, sliced cucumber and chives. Simple but great!

edit on 25-11-2015 by Macenroe82 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 25 2015 @ 08:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: TNMockingbird

Is buttermilk pie like chess pie?

Hmmm... I don't know... I've never heard of chess pie...

I've never made it, scared of the vinegar...

I think I would be too!

The buttermilk pie is just buttermilk,eggs, a little flour, sugar, butter and vanilla in a pastry crust. Its consistency is similar to custard or pudding. I like to give the top a nice golden touch

ETA: I just looked up the chess pie... take away the cornmeal and vinegar, and it looks like a cookie recipe. I just don't know about that cornmeal and vinegar... hmmm!

edit on 25-11-2015 by Boadicea because: formatting -- as usual -- sheesh!

edit on 25-11-2015 by Boadicea because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 25 2015 @ 08:15 PM
link   

It's a BIG thing 'round here...LOL

Chess Pie

Buttermilk pie is similar to both of these, using buttermilk for souring instead of vinegar, but without cornmeal.

I've never been brave enough to try...but, I have bought it...

posted on Nov, 25 2015 @ 08:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: Macenroe82

Do you do anying extra special for your gravy?
My Mom makes it just right. She adds tiny round onions amungst other mother magical ingredients lol.

Yum! She sounds like a cook after my own heart. I think there's a perfect onion for almost every dish!

Another thing i havent seen anyone post yet is cucumber salad. Sour creme, sliced cucumber and chives. Simple but great!

That sounds delicious. What a perfect combination of ingredients. And the perfect complement to the many "heavy" dishes traditional to the holiday. Thank you -- I'm going to try that!

posted on Nov, 25 2015 @ 08:19 PM
link   

We don't make the cranberry sauce for our home Thanksgiving because I'm the only one who would eat it. I can't stand the "looks like can" stuff. I do the recipe on the bag you buy in produce.

My dad has a recipe he got from his mother (my grandmother) that incorporates Jell-O, chopped walnuts and grapes. I'm not as fond of it, but most everyone in the family prefers it. I stubbornly make the bag version for myself.

posted on Nov, 25 2015 @ 08:22 PM
link   
a reply to: TNMockingbird

I'll have to try it. I guess I can see the similarity of the vinegar and buttermilk... but that cornbread is still throwing me for a loop. Nevertheless, I've been surprised before at how well some ingredients complement each other so maybe I'll be surprised again. It sure looks similar to my buttermilk pie.

posted on Nov, 25 2015 @ 08:36 PM
link   

First of all I do not think anyone should need a holiday to give thanks, particularly one that is based on such a convoluted history full of half truths and lies like this one is and has been.

All this holiday does is jump start a monetarily commercialized silly economic system.

It leads to another ridiculous holiday that is steeped in manure.

What will we be eating? Something that doesn't require a fake family gathering where everyone pretends to give a crap.

posted on Nov, 25 2015 @ 08:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

We don't make the cranberry sauce for our home Thanksgiving because I'm the only one who would eat it. I can't stand the "looks like can" stuff. I do the recipe on the bag you buy in produce.

Haha! After you said that, I had to go check out my bag of cranberries! My recipe uses brown sugar and OJ instead of the water. And I add a dash of cinnamon and nutmeg. I might have to buy another bag and make that recipe too... it sounds a kinda sparkly and crisper than mine and that could be good too.

My dad has a recipe he got from his mother (my grandmother) that incorporates Jell-O, chopped walnuts and grapes. I'm not as fond of it, but most everyone in the family prefers it.

That sounds just like the stuff my mom makes... and why I always thought I hated cranberry sauce!!! But then, I've never liked jello either. I do like the walnuts though. That sounds like a yummy addition.

I stubbornly make the bag version for myself.

Good for you! It's a day for feasting, so feast on the best. Kinda like me making my buttermilk pie

posted on Nov, 25 2015 @ 08:43 PM
link   

My grandmother got the recipe out of an Army Wives cookbook around about WWII if that helps.

I don't do anything to dress up the back of the bag recipe, but I imagine I could sub some of the water with OJ and sub in some holiday spicing like cinnamon, cloves and nutmeg. I just haven't tried it yet.

posted on Nov, 25 2015 @ 08:50 PM
link   
What am I thankful for? Mr. Cheddarhead had a heart attack earlier this month and LIVED! He's got a long road ahead of him, but he's home now.

We're going to dinner at his daughter's tomorrow for turkey, mashed potatoes and rolls. It's just a meal, I truly don't care about the food.

edit on 11/25/2015 by Cheddarhead because: More details

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join