It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Thanksgiving 2015: What are you thankful for and/or what's for dinner?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+6 more 
posted on Nov, 25 2015 @ 05:54 PM
link   
Hiya Fellow 'Muricans and ATSers worldwide!

Just finished all the feast preps for our Thanksgiving dinner. Everything that can be done, is done. We have family coming over as usual so I like to prep as much ahead as possible. Turkey injected, table set, side dishes prepped or staged, porch and house decorated.

On the menu:

- Fried Turkey
- Cornbread Dressing w/oysters
- Paleo Sweet Potatoes (a new recipe being test driven this year soooo.....if I'm not here on Friday, you'll know why - a Thanksgiving rebellion at KJ's house.
)
- Green Bean Casserole (no - not UR Grandma's recipe, super fresh & light, not drowned in cream of mushroom soup.)
- Roasted Brussel Sprouts w/Bacon
- Parker House Rolls (cuz we're sick of crescent rolls, they suck now.)
- Pumpkin Pie
- Apple Pie

Tonight it's White Bean Soup

As for thankfulness, I'm thankful for my family, my kid's school, my neighbors/neighborhood, and that - overall - we're not doing bad. Not great, but not bad.

And of course I'm thankful for ATS!

How about ya'll?
edit on 11/25/2015 by kosmicjack because: wine

posted on Nov, 25 2015 @ 06:03 PM
link   
Roasted brussel sprouts with bacon?!! That sounds great. Gonna have to look that one up.

Our T-Givin was in october here in canada.
We usually put on a big dinner for family and friends.
Turkey and every thing you can think of that goes with it.
But this year the wife and i decided no turkey.
We did a homemade garlic fettuccini alfredo and baked bread.
It was a very good dinner with quarter of the dishes afterwards

posted on Nov, 25 2015 @ 06:09 PM
link   
Happy Thanksgiving

Although I don't partake in such a festivity, being English and all that. I appreciate how important it is for families in the U.S.

So, I always see it as a Thanksgiving for family.

Tis the holiday season.
edit on 25/11/15 by Cobaltic1978 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 25 2015 @ 06:16 PM
link   
a reply to: kosmicjack

Excellent.....

Well my family of course; my beautiful bride most of all...had some health issues, but overall thankful I am in the health I am.. Thankful for my family and friends here.. Thankful I have a job I love where I can help people.. Thankful for my kitties....Thankful I live in the greatest country....

Menu

Turkey
Stuffing
Mashed Potatoes
Gravy
Mac and Cheese
Sugar Snap Peas
Sweet potato casserole
Fried Oysters (Holt family tradition)
"Grands" Biscuits
Pumpkin Pie
Mince Meat pie

YUMMY

(Don't think I forgot anything)

posted on Nov, 25 2015 @ 06:24 PM
link   
Dang you guys... everything sounds so delish !

I want thanksgiving dinner all over again.

Mmmmm pumpkin pie with fresh whipped cream...

Nom nom nom.

posted on Nov, 25 2015 @ 06:24 PM
link   
First off, the three of us will be having our own private Thanksgiving at home tomorrow.

Our menu for that will be:

Roasted bone-in turkey breast
Cornbread stuffing (just got done baking the cornbread, actually)
Green-bean bacon bundles (bundles wrapped and ready to roast)
Roasted butternut squash
Potatoes au Gratin (need to build that one tonight too)
rolls and garlic butter

We anticipate LEFTOVERS!

Then on Saturday, we will have the big family to-do at my aunt's. It will be a traditional meal with all the usual trimmings.

This year, we are thankful that my aunt beat her cancer. It cancelled out family Thanksgiving get-together last year. We are also thankful that another year has gone by with everyone still healthy and employed. There are so many who cannot say as much, and there are no guarantees for any of us in the coming year. We are also praying for my husband's father who has his own health battle to fight this year. We are thankful that so far, the test results have not been harder than they are.

posted on Nov, 25 2015 @ 06:32 PM
link   
Lets see. My eyes opened every day , my chest was moving , and I stood up under my own power (i.e. I woke up above ground) . That is something to be thankful for .

Cant say what we are having. I dont know yet. I leave that to my wife. We have had a custom for years now where we invite our friends (some are from different nationalities and religions) over to celebrate. It takes a lot of planning . Usually turns out very well though.
I have asked my wife several years if the United Nations knows about this. She asks why. I tell her call em up and let em know where their missing delegation is....
PEACE

edit on 25-11-2015 by Gothmog because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 25 2015 @ 06:33 PM
link   

Well, I got off work early so...I am thankful for that!

Prepping as well, the cheese platter and veggies...
Made the deviled eggs, stuffing, pasta salad, pea salad, tried to finish the tater salad but, ran out of ingredients...
AND I'd been to the store several times this week...oh well...

The girls will finish desserts later tonight ( a tradition) fudge (cause we need ONE MORE CARB!) and in the morning we will get the rest together...the old man went to the liquor/beer/wine store (as usual) so...that is done...

I am incredibly grateful for my family. I am family by marriage only but, they are the lot I've been dealt in life so...they are mine...
Mom and Dad are gone, my Sis is in another state, my biological family and I aren't close close although I am sure we will talk...
I am grateful that the kids are healthy and not on drugs or any of that...
I am grateful that I have a roof, food, and am warm. I am grateful that I live in a town where most people know each other, I am grateful that my old man's heart has held out a few more months.
I suppose I am just grateful for the life I have, it could have been worse, it has been worse, and I am grateful that I am alive...
Sorry for the ramble but, you asked...LOL

posted on Nov, 25 2015 @ 06:42 PM
link   
I havent seen anyone mention it yet, but do any of you make spaghetti squash with thanksgiving dinner?

posted on Nov, 25 2015 @ 06:44 PM
link   
a reply to: TNMockingbird

Deviled eggs! That was the one thing i missed this thanksgiving.
My mom makes amazing deviled eggs. Even makes them look pretty.

Never heard of pea salad. Is that a hot or cold dish?

posted on Nov, 25 2015 @ 06:45 PM
link   

Pretty much y'all have covered what I am making too - except my all time favorite scalloped corn - sweet corn with bacon, a white rue, green peppers, scallions and corn bread and cream. My Mother always loved this and I feel a need to honor her this year.

Tonight, We are having pizza from our favorite pizza place around the corner - just DH and me. Oh, also, Med. Salad with delicious feta. Having a Sky and Tonic currently, and if is Yummy!

Been kinda an emotionally, rough year - but we are lucky to have our health and prosperity.

Have a Blessed Thanksgiving and everybody love your loves!

edit on Nov4700001147000047America/Chicago by Missmissie173 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 25 2015 @ 06:50 PM
link   
a reply to: Macenroe82

It's cold AND sort of odd (pea salad) LOL!

It's the only way some people will eat peas...It's peas, mayo, onion, and boiled eggs...mix it all up...

It will be gone first...

My oldest daughter HAS TO HAVE canned cranberry sauce...when you open the can, and dump it out, the lines from the can are still on it, it is jelled and wiggly and such...every year, she makes sure I have bought her the cranberry sauce in the can!

She just LOVES it!

posted on Nov, 25 2015 @ 06:54 PM
link   
Made a turkey and all the trimmings earlier in the week for hubby and I and my Brother who lives in the apartment down stairs. We'll be going out to a nice restaurant with my Sister and her family tomorrow so I had my fill of turkey. Maybe stuffed shrimp or ham or whatever.

Thankful for my family and amazing friends.

I'd like to wish you all a wonderful Thanksgiving with love!

posted on Nov, 25 2015 @ 06:55 PM
link   
a reply to: Missmissie173

honouring family traditions is what makes thanksgiving special. Same with christmas dinner.
Gosh I miss christmas dinner at my grandmas.

posted on Nov, 25 2015 @ 06:57 PM
link   

It sure does sound good though! Another thing i havent had in a very long time was homemade
Corn bread.... Really making me miss my family tonight!

posted on Nov, 25 2015 @ 07:02 PM
link   
a reply to: [post=20075603]Macenroe82[/post
Cornbread!
The best!

Make you some, it's not hard....

Some of the stuff I make is cause I miss Mom, she left us in August last year!
I was thinking tonight when I cut the celery just as small as I could get it, I used to do this for MOm, she couldn't chew it if it wasn't small enough...I don't have to do it now, it was just habit...

Come on over! LOL!
I'll make cornbread!

posted on Nov, 25 2015 @ 07:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: Macenroe82

It sure does sound good though! Another thing i havent had in a very long time was homemade
Corn bread.... Really making me miss my family tonight!

That's why we do cornbread stuffing - a nod to my husband's upbringing in Tennessee. He'd have grits too if I liked them.

And our cornbread is already baked and ready to go.
edit on 25-11-2015 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 25 2015 @ 07:21 PM
link   
I learned this idea a while back:

Get a box of some kind that has a hole or slot in it. Every day, take just a few seconds to scribble something you're grateful for on it, and put it into the box. Once every few months, open the box up and dump out the contents and read them.

You'd be pretty surprised at just how much you have to be grateful/thankful for even if you don't think you do...

posted on Nov, 25 2015 @ 07:26 PM
link   
Thanks for chiming in everyone!

This is my favorite holiday, it's all about gratitude, family and generosity. And, with no presents involved, it's simple and meaningful. I love making it fun and memorable for my family and extended family. We also donate to local pantries and we've volunteered to sort and deliver to other families.

I'll be in and out tonight, which is kind of my favorite part...everyone arriving, catching up, BSing, board games, politics and gossip. Kind of like ATS, ya know.

posted on Nov, 25 2015 @ 07:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: Macenroe82
Really making me miss my family tonight!

Well, we're here.
(((HUG)))

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join