It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New UK ALDI ad

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 25 2015 @ 03:50 PM
link   
The misses and I have just seen the new ALDI ad on TV. I don't know what to say. They have called it a parody to the John Lewis ad, but it's a blatant p take. Even the 2 telescopes are John Lewis and ALDI. I thought the John Lewis ad was actually kind of heart warming, but to see the ALDI one just annoys me big time.

Sorry, but just had to get that off my chest.

posted on Nov, 25 2015 @ 03:54 PM
link   
a reply to: TerryDon79

I haven't seen either advert so I have no idea of what you are whining about.
...perhaps try not watching ad's if it affects you negatively enough to rant about them?

posted on Nov, 25 2015 @ 04:05 PM
link   
You made me look it up for you.
This one?

Is it a parody if this?

I don't get what offended you personally.

posted on Nov, 25 2015 @ 04:18 PM
link   
Maybe it's just me. I've always found the John Lewis ads around Christmas to be nice and thoughtful. And ALDI just copied it and made it stupid. I like parodies though. I dunno. Probably just me. Meh. Not likes its going to make my world crumble or anything, but just felt I wanted to say something about it is all.

posted on Nov, 25 2015 @ 04:21 PM
link   
The John Lewis add was classy, tacky spoof adds I don't give any thought.

posted on Nov, 25 2015 @ 04:24 PM
link   
a reply to: stosh64

Yuh beat me to it!

Anyway, I always like the Christmas Coca Cola ads..even though I don't drink the stuff very often.

posted on Nov, 25 2015 @ 04:33 PM
link   

They're both turgid BS designed to tug the strings of the nation, crassly. Very, very crassly.

posted on Nov, 25 2015 @ 04:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: and14263

They're both turgid BS designed to tug the strings of the nation, crassly. Very, very crassly.
Agreed.
This is the lamest rant I've seen in a long time, bleating about a parody TV advert of a retailers original TV advert.
Number one in the top ten of first world problems is seriously possible here lol.

posted on Nov, 25 2015 @ 05:32 PM
link   

Just knowing you are there OP brings great comfort to my heart.

Now I know that with such aware, lateral thinking, intelligent analytical, pro active, independent thinking, BS detecting members of the community we are sure to crush the indoctrination by the MSM and Corporate Military Industrial Complex and free the sheep from the pen of the evil Farmer Giles.

Thanks Superman, you saved us again!

EDIT: Wow man! So impressed with this thread darn it that I here by award you with a zombie award for most crucial thread of the last 10 seconds.

edit on 25-11-2015 by Revolution9 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 25 2015 @ 05:48 PM
link   
Both adds want me to buy balloons from them? Or spy on someone..

posted on Nov, 25 2015 @ 06:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: stosh64

Kinda reflects the difference between the stores too..

posted on Nov, 25 2015 @ 07:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: Misterlondon

Good point.
So true.

posted on Nov, 25 2015 @ 07:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: Misterlondon

You show your own indoctrination with that statement fella.

posted on Nov, 25 2015 @ 10:31 PM
link   

I must need to pick up a copy of Rosetta Stone UK. Who is John Lewis? Why have I not heard of his telescopes? And what on Earth is a "p take?"

posted on Nov, 25 2015 @ 11:06 PM
link   
a reply to: dogstar23

A "p-take" is UK regional slang for the little-known challenge of stealing low-value products from major supermarkets. Gangs of youths compete to steal the lowest value items and a small can of peas is very affordable at 15 English pennies.

It's almost impossible to beat someone who's got the peas hence "p-take."

posted on Nov, 26 2015 @ 05:50 AM
link   
p-take is a uk slang term for urine ,as in your taking the urine mate ,hope this helps it has nothing to do with pea's

posted on Nov, 26 2015 @ 10:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kandinsky
a reply to: dogstar23

A "p-take" is UK regional slang for the little-known challenge of stealing low-value products from major supermarkets. Gangs of youths compete to steal the lowest value items and a small can of peas is very affordable at 15 English pennies.

It's almost impossible to beat someone who's got the peas hence "p-take."

Best ever answer given on ATS =] Star

posted on Nov, 26 2015 @ 10:49 AM
link   
a reply to: pr0ph3t

Yeah but the answer was pretty much wrong though, for most of the UK anyway.

P take is short for piss take.
Here's the wiki explanation, it is spot on:

Taking the piss is a Commonwealth term meaning to take liberties at the expense of others, or to be unreasonable. It is often used to mean (or confused with) taking the piss out of, which is an expression meaning to mock, tease, ridicule, or scoff.[1] It is also not to be confused with "taking a piss", which refers to the act of urinating. Taking the Mickey (Mickey Bliss, Cockney rhyming slang) or taking the Michael is another term for making fun of someone. These terms are most widely used in the United Kingdom, Ireland, South Africa, New Zealand and Australia.
en.wikipedia.org...

CX

posted on Nov, 26 2015 @ 10:49 AM
link   
As said on the net a while back, it cost John Lewis £7,000,000 to make an ad that highlighted pensioners being on their own at Xmas.

Just imagine if they had spent £,7,000,000 on presents for pensioners who were on their own.

I'd be more annoyed at that.

CX.

posted on Nov, 26 2015 @ 11:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: TerryDon79
The misses and I have just seen the new ALDI ad on TV. I don't know what to say. They have called it a parody to the John Lewis ad, but it's a blatant p take. Even the 2 telescopes are John Lewis and ALDI. I thought the John Lewis ad was actually kind of heart warming, but to see the ALDI one just annoys me big time.

Sorry, but just had to get that off my chest.

Terry, could you post a link to the adverts?

We do have a few Aldi here in the states, but to my knowledge they do not have adverts on tele. And frankly, whereas I am no expert on UK culture or commerce, I am unfamiliar with John Lewis....

top topics

<<   2 >>

join