It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NYPD Anti-Jewish Harassment Of Fellow NYPD Officer Recorded

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 25 2015 @ 01:51 PM
link   
Oh yeah, New York City is going to pay big time for this one. News video with the voice recordings at link.

I have a feeling that this will require a lot of workplace harassment training in the NYPD very soon.

This is some heavy duty lawsuit evidence:

Officer No. 1: "I hate that haircut."
Attali: "Want me to shave my head?"
Officer No. 1: "I want to push you into an oven and (expletive) burn."
Officer No. 2: "I want to tattoo a number on you."

abc7ny.com...

The Investigators: Recordings show cops' anti-Semitic harassment of fellow NYPD officer

By Jim Hoffer
Monday, November 23, 2015 06:26PM

NEW YORK (WABC) --
A former NYPD officer who claims he was the victim of constant anti-Semitic harassment at the hands of his fellow officers is speaking out, describing the relentless torment he was forced to deal with on an every-day basis.

And it's not just his word against theirs. David Attali recorded their anti-Jewish barbs, and for the first time, he has agreed to go public with his recordings.

Soon after, some of his fellow officers started to make jokes about Jews. Attali, an Israeli Jew, initially tried to ignore them, saying they seemed like the occasional workplace joke. But the slurs kept coming, targeted directly at him with increasing cruelty.

"They got very aggressive with it," he said. "Non-stop about Hitler, and 'he did such a good job' and just non-stop every day, every day, references to concentration camps, 'I should throw you in an oven.'"

Attali says the racial and religious attacks intensified, even occurring in front of supervisors.

"Certain officers will come in, regardless of who is standing there, sergeant, lieutenant, no referring to me as David," he said. "It is just '(expletive)' or 'What's up, dirty Jew.'"

The six-year-veteran asked to be transferred anywhere, but it was denied. And that's when Attali started secretly recording the slurs.

Police officer (in fake German accent): "Do you want to go to this camp for the summer?"
Attali: "Why?"
Police officer: "Oh, you will lose so much weight, you'll be in the best shape of your life.
Attali: "How so?"
Police officer: "It's a concentration camp."

This is the first time he is sharing the recordings.

Police officer: "Think about it. Where do Jews with ADD get sent?"
Attali: "Where?
Police officer: "Concentration camps."

The daily attacks became more degrading and vicious.

"You smell like (expletive) and fish," one officer told him. "You smell like Gefilte (expletive)."

Attali says one officer, Christoper Delbrocolo, relentlessly harassed him and never called him by his real name, only "dirty Jew." He is heard throughout the recordings taking jaw-dropping anti-Semitic jabs at Attali.

"I wish I could go back to the 30s and shake Hitler's hand," he once said.

Officer No. 1: "I hate that haircut."
Attali: "Want me to shave my head?"
Officer No. 1: "I want to push you into an oven and (expletive) burn."
Officer No. 2: "I want to tattoo a number on you."
Officer No. 3: "DKS7741, step up, breathe in this tube," another said. "And, oh wait, he died, surprise, surprise."

The anti-Semitism was also plastered all over Attali's locker, including grocery store pork ads. He eventually filed a complaint with the NYPD Equal Employment Opportunity, which concluded his locker had been vandalized but found his allegations of verbal harassment unsubstantiated.

"It was too much for me," he said. "That's it, I'm done. I'm out...I really had no option."

And so he quit the force. He has since filed a discrimination lawsuit against the NYPD and nine officers, including Delbrocolo. Attali's attorney says the NYPD basically pushed his client out.

edit on 25-11-2015 by infolurker because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 25 2015 @ 02:02 PM
link   
a reply to: infolurker

I have a feeling that this will require a lot of workplace harassment training in the NYPD very soon.

Im immediately reminded by the studies that have showed the same types of personalities that become cops are also the same that become criminals. In other words, those people are destined to spend their life involved in law, one way or another.

People Who Become Cops Tend to Have Authoritarian Personality Characteristics

Research shows a correlation between police behavior and authoritarianism.

However, there is a rising consensus on some aspects of the relationship where local police culture reinforces social dominance and authoritarian tendencies (as well as intolerance of the Other), those individuals who are most authoritarian are more likely to succeed in the profession, and that police are recruited from a sub-segment of the population that may be more prone to authoritarian behaviour.
h
ttp://www.alternet.org/news-amp-politics/people-who-become-cops-tend-have-authoritarian-personality-characteristics

posted on Nov, 25 2015 @ 02:04 PM
link   

Going to be a slam dunk case for whichever lawyer gets the honor of representing this guy.

The city is going to pay, and pay dearly for this one. At least guy doesn't have to worry about a transfer anymore. He can go wherever he pleases now with his millions(tens of?) care of the NY city taxpayer through the incompetence of the NY city police.

Personally, if it were me, I'd be willing to only take a few million in exchange for a dozen or so jobs. I'd like the officers, their superiors and if he was ever present the chief to all lose their over payed jobs.
edit on 25-11-2015 by MisterSpock because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 25 2015 @ 02:13 PM
link   

Those cops sound clinically sociopathic. What kind of mind could even think of that crap, much less actually say it out loud? And the supervisors turned a blind eye? (Or a deaf ear so to speak). Wow.

Question for anyone who knows: Could this guy's lawsuit include a demand for specific department reform measures? Such as cameras in the locker room? Or the removal of the officers and supervisors? Or can a plaintiff just ask for monetary damages?

posted on Nov, 25 2015 @ 02:54 PM
link   
a reply to: Boadicea
Is it not a jailable offence. Anti Semitism.
Or is that just for the public.

serious question.

posted on Nov, 25 2015 @ 03:33 PM
link   
The best part: its the South that gets a bad rap for racism. Meanwhile, folks in NY are given a free pass because their city is so multicultural.

posted on Nov, 25 2015 @ 04:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: chewi

serious question.

I really don't know. Anti-semitism isn't a crime in and of itself. Expressing such isn't a crime. But maybe harassment? Particularly by a public official to a citizen? Threats to his person? (Although I'm not sure wanting to push someone into an oven would be deemed a "credible" threat.)

But even if there were appropriate criminal charges on the books, who's going to press charges? Sure not the supervisors who ignored the behavior.

Hence my question about what limits are placed on what a plaintiff in a civil suit can demand, and if civil litigation could be a means to reform. Another tool (weapon) for we the people to get the job done, since we already know the authorities won't do it.

posted on Nov, 25 2015 @ 05:11 PM
link   

It really shows how reckless the police are and how much above reproach they know they are. With all the "sensitivity" training required these days, it's hard to believe they thought this behavior was not only okay but not punishable. But look at Attali's efforts to fight the harassment through the proper channels and the reaction from the NYPD EEOC "NYPD Equal Employment Opportunity, which concluded his locker had been vandalized but found his allegations of verbal harassment unsubstantiated." Not only the cops should be fired but so also should the reviewers of his complaint who gave him no reprieve to stop the harassers.

I have to say, in this era of technology and PC, I'm surprised this behavior still exists so obviously. It shows those who practice it are REALLY stupid.

edit on 25-11-2015 by StoutBroux because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 25 2015 @ 05:21 PM
link   
If this was the treatment of a white Jewish LEO; can you imagine the abuse a person of color might have to endure?
edit on 25-11-2015 by olaru12 because: xxx

posted on Nov, 25 2015 @ 05:22 PM
link   
Should all be fired on the spot and never allowed work in any job with any type of authority again. If they harass one of their own so easily imagine what they do to civilians. Hope he gets a big pay day from this and the one harassing are sent packing.

posted on Nov, 25 2015 @ 06:07 PM
link   

This is an outrage.

The entire NYPD should hang its head in shame until these disreputable swine in their midst are removed from duty permanently, and publicly shamed in an unmissable and ceremonial fashion.

posted on Nov, 25 2015 @ 06:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: sosobad
Should all be fired on the spot and never allowed work in any job with any type of authority again. If they harass one of their own so easily imagine what they do to civilians.

I know that the mods get irritated when we do this, but seriously, excellent point.

Hear, hear.

posted on Nov, 25 2015 @ 06:22 PM
link   
WEll, if I was a juror......I'd say 144 million is spot on.......

just to talk numbers....

posted on Nov, 25 2015 @ 08:59 PM
link   
Since the cop's want to make attacking them a hate crime.
The one's doing it should be charged with hate crimes as should the ones that look away.
With all the stuff going on they don't need to be making enemies out of someone who they might need to save their own ass one day

posted on Nov, 25 2015 @ 09:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: chewi

serious question.

You understand they're talking about a city run workplace being made hostile, right? You can hate whoever you want to hate. You can not make a hostile work environment, even moreso in a public workplace.

posted on Nov, 25 2015 @ 09:31 PM
link   
Sickening.

What the hell kind of an upbringing are these people coming from ?!

What the hell kind of an upbringing are they giving their kids ?!

... and the cancer continues to spread

posted on Nov, 25 2015 @ 11:23 PM
link   

I don't think I've ever heard anyone say a peep against Jewish people....... ever. Except maybe those ridiculous 'skinhead' ne'er-do-wells.

Where is this coming from? I hope the guy sues their pants off.

*We must ALL remember to rise up individually against this anywhere we find it. I'm talking verbal confrontation, and at least cause embarrassment for the perp. We CANNOT have this. If things go badly in Western Europe for Jewish people, they will need a safe haven, and I've thought it should be here, as we have such a good relationship. American Jews are just 'one of the guys" here. I want it stay that way.

posted on Nov, 26 2015 @ 12:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan
The best part: its the South that gets a bad rap for racism. Meanwhile, folks in NY are given a free pass because their city is so multicultural.

Well, except for things like the outcry about the "Stop & Frisk" policy, which specifically targeted African Americans & Latino Americans.

posted on Nov, 26 2015 @ 08:30 AM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

Why is that the best part Tex?

I know the south has felt put upon and singled out. Especially lately

There's racism all over this country - in every nook and cranny. Chicago for instance

The south has a kind of regional sense of pride that is obvious and exceptional. I can see why people there look at things differently - I think they're more likely to feel this kind of criticism personally

Why do you think folks in NYC are given a free pass?
edit on 11/26/2015 by Spiramirabilis because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 26 2015 @ 09:01 AM
link   
a reply to: Spiramirabilis

Because the criticism tends to come from these major northeastern cities.

I admit i have a chip on my shoulder. Living way out here in no mans land, it gets tiresome seeing laws created to enable urbanizing. But harmful to rural lifestyle. "Gun control" is a major one, as I am sure you notice from my prior posts.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join