It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Great Martian War: 1913-1917. Is the History Channel Offensive?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 25 2015 @ 06:15 PM
link   
a reply to: Raggedyman

"The History channel are making money off others misery, from death and destruction and loss.
Making up a story and using real human misery to make that story look good."

Well if thats what you consider the History channel to be doing via producing this FICTIONAL program i imagine you must be rather miffed with just about all of our other mass media news networks considering they make more monies from reporting other peoples misery, death and destruction on a daily basis than the history channel ever will.

To be honest i cannot see the harm considering there is pretty much no one around from the time of the first world war to offend anymore, and even if there were i really dont think they would be that offended. It a story nothing more, nothing less.
edit on 25-11-2015 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 25 2015 @ 07:02 PM
link   
a reply to: andy06shake

FICTION should stay fiction sometimes.

How the real the other news is, is questionable.
edit on 25-11-2015 by halfoldman because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 26 2015 @ 12:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: andy06shake

"The History channel are making money off others misery, from death and destruction and loss.
Making up a story and using real human misery to make that story look good."

Well if thats what you consider the History channel to be doing via producing this FICTIONAL program i imagine you must be rather miffed with just about all of our other mass media news networks considering they make more monies from reporting other peoples misery, death and destruction on a daily basis than the history channel ever will.

To be honest i cannot see the harm considering there is pretty much no one around from the time of the first world war to offend anymore, and even if there were i really dont think they would be that offended. It a story nothing more, nothing less.

There is a difference between reporting the news as opposed to fashioning real violence to tell a made up story.

You are welcome to disagree and I dont mind if you do

I understand the OP position once he gave it to me, I understand it and agree with it

posted on Nov, 26 2015 @ 01:43 AM
link   

"There is a difference between reporting the news as opposed to fashioning real violence to tell a made up story."

These days considering what our news agency's get up to and/or away with i would have to question the above considering that seems to be exactly what they get up to and with an unseen agenda behind there actions no less.

Think on it this way if indeed our Earth had been attacked in 1913 by forces from the red planet and we defeated them our world most lightly be a far different place to live. We would have come to our scenes, put our differences aside, stopped all of our petty struggles and pointless conflicts and united humanity behind a common goal.

Not to mention the technological prowess in to such fields as force-field technology/energy weaponry and interplanetary travel we would quite possibly have gleamed from the alien craft/war machines. WW-1 and WW-2 would probably never have taken place so no Hitler, Stalin or the holocaust would ever have taken place. Chances are we would be amongst the stars by this day of age or taking our first step to colonize other worlds in our own system. Just a thought.
edit on 26-11-2015 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 26 2015 @ 01:44 AM
link   
a reply to: halfoldman

Looking at the world today mate the reality of the situation is far more perverse than fiction.

posted on Nov, 26 2015 @ 02:03 AM
link   

This is true.

I mean you can't make some of the stuff nowadays up (there's a shorter way of saying that, but less socially graceful).

I'm just not sure how to place this flick.
Does it draw our attention to the artificiality and propagandistic qualities of modern media, or is it a further psy-op and sign of the social decay?

posted on Nov, 26 2015 @ 07:59 AM
link   

Irrespective regarding psyops and agendas
It's in bad taste to use others suffering to make entertainment for money

posted on Nov, 26 2015 @ 08:33 AM
link   

Lets take a look at some of the other crap they crack out with and call entertainment these days, horror movies for instance. Are they really any better?

What about Saving Private Ryan? That was a great war movie, certainly brings home the horror of said conflict(WW-2), but can you tell me you would not have wished a crack at that beach? We dont really have any concept of what these people went through and frankly i hope we never do. That being said the heroism and entertainment value speaks volumes.

We glorify war, pain and strife, IMHO the history channels no worse than any other similar type of programming. End of the day they are only working with the tools and scripts that humanity has provided. Something else worth keeping in mind, history is written by the victorious, shades of grey is probably a whole lot closer to the mark with respects to anything and everything that transpired, or will transpire for that matter.

posted on Nov, 26 2015 @ 09:06 AM
link   

The "Private Ryan" movie or even a lot of Vietnam movies were ultimately Hollywood.

They have their academic debates.

But they never took people who really lived and forced them into being unwitting actors after the fact.

If World War III really breaks out (as I suspect it will) would you be happy if somebody took your photo for a third-rate fantasy flick, and usurped it to be all about aliens?

What about the true story behind that image - that's history!

posted on Nov, 26 2015 @ 09:41 AM
link   

Can I ask you a question? Why didn't you just turn the channel or shut off the tv?

I find that when I'm confronted by something I find offensive, I remove myself from the subject.

To place it in some perspective, how many movies have been made about the revolutionary war, civil war, WWII, Vietnam, Gulf Wars I and II, that have distorted or abused actual facts?

posted on Nov, 26 2015 @ 10:10 AM
link   

Why would world war three break out? Certainly not over one fighter/bomber and a helicopter.

We will never use nukes in any sufficient exchange on planet, simply because it would end our race or at least retard our progress and end our history for the next couple of hundred to a thousand years.

posted on Nov, 26 2015 @ 11:02 AM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

Well firstly because race, ethnicity and national identity are public matters.

But as I said above, I'm not saying "ban it".

posted on Nov, 26 2015 @ 11:03 AM
link   

Maybe.
But that's conjecture.
I hope you're right.
edit on 26-11-2015 by halfoldman because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 26 2015 @ 11:22 AM
link   

"If World War III really breaks out (as I suspect it will) would you be happy if somebody took your photo for a third-rate fantasy flick, and usurped it to be all about aliens?"

Well i have to get my Warhol's 15 minutes of fame somewhere, and serial killing just doesn't seem to be my calling or passion these days.

To be honest i don't really care as to what people or even aliens use my image for once i have departed this verse. Think it was Marcus Aurelius that stated "what we do in life echoes in eternity" but at the end of the day, all things considered, eternity's a big place.

Im more inclined to be worried over far more pressing matters than WW3 taking place, possibly this is because i grew up while the Berlin wall was still in place, pretty much nothing new, same crap different decade.

posted on Nov, 26 2015 @ 11:37 AM
link   

Same crap, different armies.

Every country will wash its hands, but they all sponsor some army or militia.

I know where my loyalty will lie.

posted on Nov, 26 2015 @ 11:45 AM
link   

Very true, war via proxy seems to be the colour of the day. Truth be told it has been that way for quite sometime.

Tell you this my loyalties would never be nation orientated, i could not give a crap as to countries or nation states, and believe me when i say nether could our current political establishments. Fact is "They" simply have to many fingers in several different pies. End of the day is all a dog and pony show and eye candy for the masses. If im honest, whether or not reality offers up any entertainment value these days generally depends on my mood.

posted on Nov, 26 2015 @ 11:57 AM
link   

I will fight to the death.

Even if I'm just gnarly cannon-fodder.

For my people and my tribe, I will gladly die.

posted on Nov, 26 2015 @ 02:03 PM
link   

OK, ever had that feeling that something bad was going to happen?

I feel a bad moon rising.

posted on Nov, 26 2015 @ 02:18 PM
link   

Great, now I have that song stuck in my head lol.

posted on Nov, 26 2015 @ 03:03 PM
link   
a reply to: Autorico

Well, here goes:

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join