It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

It's Time To Look At The Bible From A Different Perspective

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 24 2015 @ 01:16 AM
link   
a reply to: Raggedyman

You can believe what you want, I really don't care.

But Leviticus 14 43 - 45 actually says what I claim about mouldy houses

43 “If the defiling mold reappears in the house after the stones have been torn out and the house scraped and plastered, 44 the priest is to go and examine it and, if the mold has spread in the house, it is a persistent defiling mold; the house is unclean. 45 It must be torn down—its stones, timbers and all the plaster—and taken out of the town to an unclean place.

www.biblegateway.com...

And even Jesus himself said in Matthew 5:18

For truly I tell you, until heaven and earth disappear, not the smallest letter, not the least stroke of a pen, will by any means disappear from the Law until everything is accomplished.

So therefore what my 'silly and irrational' argument proves is that either

a) We're all guilty of not following God's teachings

or

b) As I originally contended, the bible is not to be taken literally in a lot of cases because times have moved on and some of what is in there is no longer relevant.

edit on 24-11-2015 by markosity1973 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 24 2015 @ 01:22 AM
link   
The bible is one of the strangest books to ever read because its two different books stuck together for religious purposes by Christian scholars in order to introduce a means of governance.

The first part is a mix of borrowed mythology altered to fit Jewish aspirations and concepts for creating a nation of elite with their own customs and higher attitude to the rest of the peoples of world.

The bible's contents tell of an indecent grab for land and a lot of other equally unpleasant stories that include murdering people and deceipt. None of which any decent minded human would regard as sacred. Christianity cherry picks its bits, and glibly pops over the unpleasantness of people being impaled by Yahweh to kill off idolatry and the worship of Ptah, El and Baal (hence 'No other Gods or idols but me) in order to get his dominance over the Jews. Yahweh commands "Thou shalt not kill" then starts wars killing people who are inconveniently in the way of his grabbing a piece of valuable and viable real estate. Then he disappears off the face of the earth and no questions are asked after having taught people that he is an eternal being.

The second part is about a renegade rabbi who has been adopted by a new religion that benefitted the Roman Empire and deified its Emperors (and later the British monarchy). I won't even touch of why someone called Paul is included, except to note his is more hardline on the obedience side and a stickler for rules - so was the antithesis of Jesus. (A small point overlooked by most judging by how many times the church waffles on about Paul during its services.

The bible has spawned three religions albeit Christianity thankfully only uses it exclusively because a quick read through other religious scriptures such as the Talmud which is another equally unpleasant book (especially for the treatment of non Jews) is also the foot for much that is in the Hadiths and what Sharia is based on.

We call this little lot 'sacred' e.g. deserving of our veneration. Looking at their legacy today around the world one wonders about this.

posted on Nov, 24 2015 @ 02:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: 3NL1GHT3N3D1
Take a moment to think about who you are. What is the most obvious thing about yourself? What you see, right? What is it that you see? The world around you, yes, but more importantly what you see is light. Light is what gives the world its form and without it nothing would be seen.

What is the light that you see in the form of? An image and that image is what we refer to as sight, it is what constitutes our vision.

Really?
From whence comes the light
that illuminates our 'dreams',
with our eyes stitched tightly
at the seams? *__-

What is it that lights up the world around us? The image we see, it is the image of God and light of the world.

That be unconditional Love, dear, not photons!

The bible is an allegorical commentary on the human condition, not a literal history book. I think it's time we start looking at the Holy books (whichever they are) from a very personal viewpoint. Only when you internalize the narrative are you able to decipher its true meaning.

Literalists remain ever clueless!

posted on Nov, 24 2015 @ 04:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: markosity1973

You can believe what you want, I really don't care.

43 “If the defiling mold reappears in the house after the stones have been torn out and the house scraped and plastered, 44 the priest is to go and examine it and, if the mold has spread in the house, it is a persistent defiling mold; the house is unclean. 45 It must be torn down—its stones, timbers and all the plaster—and taken out of the town to an unclean place.

www.biblegateway.com...

For truly I tell you, until heaven and earth disappear, not the smallest letter, not the least stroke of a pen, will by any means disappear from the Law until everything is accomplished.

or

b) As I originally contended, the bible is not to be taken literally in a lot of cases because times have moved on and some of what is in there is no longer relevant.

We can discuss the law at another date
I would like you to focus on Christians condemning their homes because of a mould outbreak.

You said it now justify it

You don't know what you are talking about

The law stands, you and I are under it though you can't comprehend it

posted on Nov, 24 2015 @ 05:31 AM
link   
a reply to: Murgatroid

There's nothing religious about it. What's religious is a man coming down to Earth to die for sins, that is the most central point in the biggest religion in the world no matter what denomination it is.

posted on Nov, 24 2015 @ 07:03 AM
link   
a reply to: akushla99

Not just the bible, pretty much any holy book. They're all talking about the same thing just from different cultural perspectives. I'm more familiar with the bible which is why I use it as an example most of the time, I also think it's the easiest to digest from a spiritual perspective. Even the Greek and Roman pantheons have the seed of truth within their myths.

posted on Nov, 24 2015 @ 07:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: Raggedyman

originally posted by: olaru12
a reply to: VegHead

Instead, let's focus on the big picture, the big story, the big message. Let's focus on a personal relationship with Jesus.

How is that even possible when the "WORD of GOD" is filled with so many inconsistencies....?

The inconsistencies are the BIG STORY....

I have never understood how the Old Testament can be the word of God...then Gods says "nevermind, I've changed my mind...ignore that last part" We got a New and improved version.

God doesnt say ignore the past, He says be prepared for it coming again

The New Testament is not an improved God, its the same one
God has taken judgement on Himself rather than let it fall on us, Jesus.

You dont understand what it teaches

Sir, I don't think you understand the teachings in the Bible either. You were just told an interpretation depending on what Church you adhere to.... and took it on FAITH....that's not understanding; that just a belief.
edit on 24-11-2015 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 24 2015 @ 09:02 AM
link   
a reply to: olaru12
Well please Omari explain my error
Jesus said the law was made for man not man for the law
Do you understand what Jesus meant by those words?

I know the law is in existence, no jot or title will be dismissed
I also know the law was written in love, not bondage

Explain your understanding, maybe I am wrong, I will listen

And yes it was an interpretation, based on ignorance and mindset, we are not Jewish, we don't live under the juristiction of the law, Christians live for Jesus, in His name, His teachings
Love God, love each other, as Jesus taught
edit on 24-11-2015 by Raggedyman because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 24 2015 @ 05:22 PM
link   
a reply to: 3NL1GHT3N3D1

The bible is an allegorical commentary on the human condition, not a literal history book. I think it's time we start looking at the Holy books (whichever they are) from a very personal viewpoint. Only when you internalize the narrative are you able to decipher its true meaning.

I think I'd have to disagree. 2 peter says, "But know this first of all, that no prophecy of Scripture is a matter of one's own interpretation, for no prophecy was ever made by an act of human will, but men moved by the Holy Spirit spoke from God"

I don't feel you are letting the text speak for itself. You took a few key verses and combined them with a hint of science to make a beautiful idea, but that doesn't necessarily make it true.

I'd be interested in hearing you explain each verse you pull those messages from and explaining why your interpretation is the true interpretation.
edit on 24-11-2015 by ServantOfTheLamb because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 24 2015 @ 05:50 PM
link   

The body bears the light, the body bears US because we are the light and life within the body (human).

See the bible tells us though that Jesus is the Life not you and I. It also tells us that Jesus is the vine and we are the branches. The branch cannot live apart from the vine. You have no life apart from Jesus. Also it tells us that God breathes life into things. So I would what confirms I have life is that I can choose to breathe. If I can't breathe then chances are I am already dead which means I won't be able to tell I am dead but I definitely won't know that I am alive or will continue to live without the ability to breathe.

posted on Nov, 24 2015 @ 07:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: markosity1973

www.biblegateway.com...

or

Yes Leviticus does say that, Leviticus is written to the Jews, my question is and remains, how many Christians condemn their own homes for mould issues?

To say they do condemn their homes is both silly and irrational, if you think they do, then you are both being silly and irrational, unless you can prove it

And yes the law still stands and humanity will be judged and condemned by the law. All of us

If you dont accept it thats ok, just dont think that ever you have done enough research in the bible to claim you understand a book written over some 4000 years in many languages and in many different cultures.
It makes you sound silly and irrational.

posted on Nov, 24 2015 @ 07:18 PM
link   

If you dont accept it thats ok, just dont think that ever you have done enough research in the bible to claim you understand a book written over some 4000 years in many languages and in many different cultures.

Silly and irrational is putting one's faith in unproven cosmology, doctrine, theology, and superstition.

posted on Nov, 24 2015 @ 08:24 PM
link   
a reply to: ServantOfTheLamb

How do you know the Holy Spirit is not moving me? I see movementl in my body, the Holy Spirit is moving me literally, but also spiritually as well. Have you tested my spirit? Is there anything that has led you to believe I am trying to deceive you or
anyone else? Even you say my idea is beautiful. I see the light, I am looking at it as I type this, the life.

posted on Nov, 24 2015 @ 09:25 PM
link   

I mean I think you are using the same words, but I think we mean drastically different things.

Have you tested my spirit?

Not completely, but you seem to be making claims contrary to what Jesus taught.

Even you say my idea is beautiful. I see the light, I am looking at it as I type this, the life.

It is, but just because something is beautiful doesn't make it true.

posted on Nov, 24 2015 @ 10:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12

Silly and irrational is putting one's faith in unproven cosmology, doctrine, theology, and superstition.

and you place your faith in the Pope? Dalai Lama? Your own head?

You have made a simple but all to common error olaru
My faith s not in cosmology, doctrine, theology, and or superstition.

My faith is in Jesus

posted on Nov, 24 2015 @ 11:17 PM
link   

What did Jesus teach exactly? All I know is he taught us to love others and God who is light. When you look at someone, they are part of the light and are part of you, the same consciousness viewing the world around it from a different viewpoint (mind).

John 14
9 Jesus answered: "Don't you know me, Philip, even after I have been among you such a long time? Anyone who has seen me has seen the Father. How can you say, 'Show us the Father'?

Jesus is the light and image, we see him right now, we in him and him in us just as he said he and his Father were one. Branches are not separate from the vine, without the branches the vine could not bear fruit whether good or bad. The branches are just as important as the vine. Jesus even called us the light of the world just as he said of himself.

posted on Nov, 25 2015 @ 08:33 AM
link   

What did Jesus teach exactly? All I know is he taught us to love others and God who is light.

He also taught that the only way to the Father was thru him. That he was the Life not us. Also Jesus is not called the image of God in the same sense we are. Jesus taught that he was the Son of Man, which comes from OT writings.

"13 “In my vision at night I looked, and there before me was one like a son of man, coming with the clouds of heaven. He approached the Ancient of Days and was led into his presence. 14 He was given authority, glory and sovereign power; all nations and peoples of every language worshiped him. His dominion is an everlasting dominion that will not pass away, and his kingdom is one that will never be destroyed."

When you look at someone, they are part of the light and are part of you, the same consciousness viewing the world around it from a different viewpoint (mind).

Thats not my personal experience here in the world though. Its a fun thought experiment but I don't feel when I look at someone that we share the same consciousness. Mind and consciousness seem basically synonymous to me so I suppose you we have to clarify your definitions for me to understand what you meant cause right now I could read it as "the same MIND viewing the world around it from a different MIND."

posted on Nov, 25 2015 @ 10:10 AM
link   

The only way to the Father is through Jesus. Who is Jesus? The light of the world and image of God. If you see the light and image, you see the Father who is light.

You see the Father right now, he is not God of the dead but of the LIVING. Aren't you alive right now seeing the light? That's your ticket to the living God, you've already cashed it in, you just have to realize it.

When your eye is single, your whole body will be full of light. When you look at yourself in the mirror, what is what you see full of? Light. The single eye is the image you see right now, it is the image of God, it is "Jesus". Jesus said that before Abraham ever was, I AM. This refers to consciousness, the light of life, it is what allows someone to know that they are (I AM).

As for consciousness being synonymous with the mind, I disagree. Meditation is a form of putting the mind aside and experiencing consciousness without all the distractions the mind loves to be distracted with. This is why Jesus said to go into your room alone, shut the door, and pray in secret, he was speaking of meditation prayer, a way to connect and communicate with God who is within you.

posted on Nov, 25 2015 @ 10:35 AM
link   

The light of the world and image of God.

Jesus is the visible image of the invisible God. He is God. He is teaches that he is God in the very chapter of John that you are quoting.

58 “Very truly I tell you,” Jesus answered, “before Abraham was born, I am!”

The Jews try to stone him for this because the understood very clearly what he was claiming by that statement because the Jews knew the OT writings.

"14God said to Moses, "I AM WHO I AM"; and He said, "Thus you shall say to the sons of Israel, 'I AM has sent me to you.' "

He is the great I AM. The uncaused first cause. Jesus is the part of the God we can visibly see. We are the image bearers of God not literally his visible image.

You seem to think that you are God. That you are the great I Am the uncaused first cause. That just doesn't make any sense to me.

As for consciousness being synonymous with the mind, I disagree. Meditation is a form of putting the mind aside and experiencing consciousness without all the distractions the mind loves to be distracted with. This is why Jesus said to go into your room alone, shut the door, and pray in secret, he was speaking of meditation prayer, a way to connect and communicate with God who is within you.

Sorry but again you are just using words that are synonymous to me. In order for me to understand your position you are going to have to define the words themselves.

posted on Nov, 25 2015 @ 11:03 AM
link   
You Should Confirm Your Beliefs Through "Goetia"... Before You Decide To Spread Your Testimony. There Are Things To Know And Refrain From... Whilst There Are Things To Experience... Things That Go Well Into The Trusted Verse Of The Image And The Light.

I Am Pinocchio! I Shall Tell You A Lie!

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join