It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Only good looking people find real love

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 23 2015 @ 04:23 PM
link   
a reply to: snypwsd

Surprise, you're adopted!

posted on Nov, 23 2015 @ 04:37 PM
link   
I've been told I'm attractive but still I crave buttugly sluts, with a bad drinkin problem and a mean old man in jail.
Keeps life interesting....

posted on Nov, 23 2015 @ 05:06 PM
link   
a reply to: plainsailing
You cannot choose who to love and who not

posted on Nov, 23 2015 @ 06:51 PM
link   
In the end, the hooker is cheaper. Long term emotional sadness and loneliness bam here's some jack. People always choose convenience over things that require work, especially in almost always awkward and trying situations, like a relationship. Convenience trumps beauty.

posted on Nov, 23 2015 @ 07:02 PM
link   
a reply to: rukia

First off - Pics, or it didnt happen

Second, i concur wth what you are saying.

posted on Nov, 23 2015 @ 07:08 PM
link   
Usually people pair off that are of equal physical attractiveness.

When you see a lopsided couple it could be a few things:

1. The good looking person has poor self esteem

2. The non-good looking person has a lot of money

There are a lot of good looking people that have very poor self esteem and self worth. They actually look in the mirror and see something different than everyone else does.

posted on Nov, 23 2015 @ 07:44 PM
link   
a reply to: MystikMushroom

and i bet there are a lot of ugly dudes who are thankful for #1 lol

posted on Nov, 23 2015 @ 09:26 PM
link   

I really shouldn't, but I can't resist the temptation to throw in my two cents' worth.

Of course good-looking people get hit on more, and maybe even enjoy a higher strike rate themselves than the aesthetically less-favoured.

That is because, according to Nature's rule of thumb, good-looking means genetically superior. Evolution has programmed us to seek the smartest, healthiest, most fertile possible gene donors to mix our own genes with. And the way we are programmed to identify these traits is by finding their possessors attractive.

But good-looking people are also programmed the same way, so they tend to reject the uglies' advances and seek out fellow lookers. Unless, of course, the lovelorn toad pursuing them happens to be very powerful or rich... or a genius.

In the end people settle for what they can get, which is usually someone about as good-looking as themselves, and similar in other ways too.

If they're smart, they'll settle for this and be satisfied. If they think they deserve better, they will remain unfulfilled and unhappy.

It seems hard, doesn't it, that those whom Nature has endowed with so many other gifts should also be more beautiful and desirable to others? But nature is not interested in fairness, only in successful reproduction.

edit on 23/11/15 by Astyanax because: one should always acknowledge genius

posted on Nov, 23 2015 @ 09:46 PM
link   
a reply to: Astyanax

That doesn't explain why men are often attracted to some of the things they are. There is an entire industry out there to make women look different than what they do. The end result is something their ancestors wouldn't recognize as attractive if the attraction is based on reproductive success. Likewise, abs and a clean shave look nice but I don't see how that guy would improve my life over a bearded heavy programmer who likely has more to offer.

If this evolutionary attraction is being updated, wouldn't that mean that women would be sexually attracted to men who show paternal traits and men be attracted to maternally-aligned women?

I don't know. When I see my friends act "boy crazy" over an actor or drool over some supermodel, I just don't get it. I'm over here thinking Bill Nye and Mariska Hagartey are like the hottest things around. Or Patrick Stewart. Or Cillian Murphy. Or... Jada Pinket Smith (ok, she's conventionally attractive). Or etc.
edit on 23-11-2015 by Abysha because: spellinz

posted on Nov, 23 2015 @ 10:48 PM
link   

I've seen some funny lookin dudes with beautiful woman.... Even married to them

Looks are only a small part of the equasion... But they definately help

Love comes when you least expect it... And many times you fall in love with a person that you never Even considered

edit on 23-11-2015 by Akragon because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 23 2015 @ 10:48 PM
link   
I don't know. I think I ended up with someone who was my equal, looks wise.
When younger, I had dated men better looking than I, and I had been in relationships with men not good looking.

The biggest problem when the attractiveness factor is not equal doesn't seem to be desire, but insecurity on the part of the one that feels less attractive. I was crazy in love with men who were not that attractive at all, but that constantly felt sure I wasn't really, or they were trying too hard, or sure I was going to cheat. The insecurity would kill the relationship.
Likewise, I did the same thing with boyfriends I felt were better looking than I.

I wouldn't want to encourage this bleak idea of physical attractiveness as key to finding and keeping a mate.
Nor the blather about money. That is bound to make insecurity issues worse.

Being able to have good conversation, make the other laugh, and be considerate of their feelings without denying your own, can get you far.
edit on 23-11-2015 by Bluesma because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 24 2015 @ 02:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: plainsailing

In your imagination, perhaps.
If you knew unconditional Love, you would never have made that statement.
So you make these excuses!
Experience = knowledge.
It appears that you speak from ignorance, a 'sour grapes' thing; "couldn't have it anyway because of something that I cannot control!

And, I Am all that is necessary to refute your assertion! *__-

posted on Nov, 24 2015 @ 03:21 AM
link   
a reply to: Abysha

That doesn't explain why men are often attracted to some of the things they are.

I never said it did.

There is an entire industry out there to make women look different than what they do.

That's right. And there has always been, all the way back to caveman days.

The end result is something their ancestors wouldn't recognize as attractive if the attraction is based on reproductive success.

How can you tell what their ancestors recognized as attractive?

Likewise, abs and a clean shave look nice but I don't see how that guy would improve my life over a bearded heavy programmer who likely has more to offer.

That is not how it works. Conscious reasoning is not involved.

If this evolutionary attraction is being updated, wouldn't that mean that women would be sexually attracted to men who show paternal traits and men be attracted to maternally-aligned women?

No. That is not how evolution works. The reality is far more subtle and complex.

I don't know. When I see my friends act "boy crazy" over an actor or drool over some supermodel, I just don't get it.

But they do.

I'm over here thinking Bill Nye and Mariska Hagartey are like the hottest things around. Or Patrick Stewart. Or Cillian Murphy.

And they don't get that, but you do.

I am not prepared to write a textbook on evolutionary psychology, which is what would be needed to address the points you raise. If you are really interested, I recommend the following books:
  1. How the Mind Works by Steven Pinker

2. The Mating Mind by Geoffrey Miller

Happy reading!

edit on 24/11/15 by Astyanax because: of quibbles.

posted on Nov, 24 2015 @ 05:17 AM
link   

Hmmm, I have an idea why you think this is the case but in fact they are more likely to find real love because they don`t judge themselves and look at people the same way, they look for the positives in people. Not all ofcourse but those who do are more likely to find true love. So it basically has nothing to do with good looks, only with self-acceptance. Accept yourself and others will too, no matter how you look. However, unfortunately, there are still people out there who buy the new-age media propaganda and feel they are worth more because of their good looks and unfortunately there are also people out there who buy the same # and think they are worth less because of their lack of physical beauty and this is exactly where the root of the problem lies.

posted on Nov, 24 2015 @ 10:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: AbyshaIt almost sounds like you are complaining because you feel that attractive people haven't been compromising for you therefore you will now have to compromise for a less attractive person. It is like you are angry at others for not doing something that you haven't been willing to do, either.

I've been rejected by many attractive people but to be honest, it hasn't made me angry. And I'm certainly not complaining. I'm simply pointing out what too me appears to be an obvious characteristic of human attraction, that many people subconsciously choose to live in denial over; because the reality appears bleak. If I was angry I'd be on here blaming people.

I would go with the person I fell in love with.

Aww, bless your little cotton socks! Conveniently skirting around the fact that if you met an ugly person with a great personality, and a good looking person with THE SAME personality (I shouldn't have to tell you this is a hypothetical scenario), the former wouldn't even get a look in.

You can pretend you're a 'superior being' immune too their evolutionary instincts all you like but the fact is, everyone feels a little disappointed when their date isn't attractive. And frankly anyone who says they don't notice such things is a twee person, lying too themselves.

I lucked out with a super attractive spouse but I have dated physically unattractive people before because it is not something I value very highly in others.

Sure, you keep telling yourself that!

I'm sorry but I just do not get the preoccupation with conventional physical attractiveness. At first glance, it would be the thing that grabs my attention but it is just one feature among many.

Well I know looks are only a small part but in your anger at me revealing an inconvenient truth about the nature of attraction, which you would rather deny, you have completely missed that.

posted on Nov, 24 2015 @ 10:36 AM
link   
I've got to say, some people's reactions to my OP reminds me of this...

Sometimes I guess the truth just hurts!

posted on Nov, 24 2015 @ 10:50 AM
link   

Yeah but you said it yourself...you still married an attractive man. You didn't "luck out", you chose that.

At the end of the day all the traditional biologically attractive traits still won you over in at least some way.

posted on Nov, 24 2015 @ 11:00 AM
link   

a reply to: Lysergic

Only time I've seen an Ugly Boy/Hot girl (or visa versa) scenario is when the ugly one was effing loaded. Even when I was in school, that's the way it was. If their parents were loaded then suddenly they'd look right past it!

Artistic talent helps too.

posted on Nov, 24 2015 @ 01:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: AbyshaIt almost sounds like you are complaining because you feel that attractive people haven't been compromising for you therefore you will now have to compromise for a less attractive person. It is like you are angry at others for not doing something that you haven't been willing to do, either.

I've been rejected by many attractive people but to be honest, it hasn't made me angry. And I'm certainly not complaining. I'm simply pointing out what too me appears to be an obvious characteristic of human attraction, that many people subconsciously choose to live in denial over; because the reality appears bleak. If I was angry I'd be on here blaming people.

I would go with the person I fell in love with.

Aww, bless your little cotton socks! Conveniently skirting around the fact that if you met an ugly person with a great personality, and a good looking person with THE SAME personality (I shouldn't have to tell you this is a hypothetical scenario), the former wouldn't even get a look in.

You can pretend you're a 'superior being' immune too their evolutionary instincts all you like but the fact is, everyone feels a little disappointed when their date isn't attractive. And frankly anyone who says they don't notice such things is a twee person, lying too themselves.

I lucked out with a super attractive spouse but I have dated physically unattractive people before because it is not something I value very highly in others.

Sure, you keep telling yourself that!

I'm sorry but I just do not get the preoccupation with conventional physical attractiveness. At first glance, it would be the thing that grabs my attention but it is just one feature among many.

Well I know looks are only a small part but in your anger at me revealing an inconvenient truth about the nature of attraction, which you would rather deny, you have completely missed that.

I didn't mean to skirt the question. To answer, let's say you had Johnny Depp and Donald Trump with the exact same personality and brain. Of course I would pick the one in Johnny Depp's body. That's a silly question.

Now let's say that there were two Johnny Depp clones, one boring and the other smart and funny. I would pick the smart and funny one.

Don't you understand? Physical attractiveness is just one of many things that attract a person. That's why it's called "physical attractiveness" and not just "attractiveness".

posted on Nov, 24 2015 @ 01:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bennyzilla

Yeah but you said it yourself...you still married an attractive man. You didn't "luck out", you chose that.

At the end of the day all the traditional biologically attractive traits still won you over in at least some way.

So I should take your word over my own simply because you think that physical attractiveness is the most important thing? All that tells me is that it is something YOU prioritize.

Are you saying that it is impossible for a physically attractive person to find a partner that isn't shallow? Projecting much?

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join