It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Theocrat Cruz Indoctrinating Kids in Iowa

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 23 2015 @ 09:50 AM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

Does a secular humanist believe in God?

This one (myself) is a Deist agnostic. I certainly don't believe in the Abrahamic "God", though.

This country was founded by people who decided to keep church and state separate. THAT is how this country was founded. Not by atheists, and not by Bible-Thumpers.

edit on 11/23/2015 by BuzzyWigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 23 2015 @ 09:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: BuzzyWigs

Does a secular humanist believe in God?

This one (myself) is a Deist agnostic. I certainly don't believe in the Abrahamic "God", though.

This country was founded by people who decided to keep church and state separate. THAT is how this country was founded. Not by atheists, and not by Bible-Thumpers.

I agree, but freedom OF religion does not mean freedom FROM Religion.

Hey, I think religions can be annoying. That is why I don't have one, but I don't expect to go through life without ever being challenged by beliefs different than my own. That is what keeps everything interesting in my opinion.

posted on Nov, 23 2015 @ 10:00 AM
link   

Okay, fine. But, we are talking about little children living in Iowa where lots of grown-ups don't really research both sides of things.

Like I said, my two (now-grown) children were exposed to religious ideologies (note that is plural) - but raised secular.
There was no "atheism" involved at all.

They were taught to 'look it up' - just like my parents taught me to 'look it up.'

These kids are being brainwashed, and their parents are taking them for more brainwashing - just like they themselves received and never questioned. Not necessarily their fault, but to stop the cycle of ignorance and lies, we have to speak up when we see it being passed down the family system.

posted on Nov, 23 2015 @ 10:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: Foderalover
I would not go so far to say Obama is not a muslim, there are lots of pics of him in muslim garb , wassup with dat ? I honestly thought he was a member of the Jeremiah Wright white hater church since he had to separate himself from the guy when he first was running. I think the only things (not rumors) that made me think he is a muslim are his actions and unwillingness to say the words radical Islam and terrorist all in the same sentence. I think Obama sucks just like Cruz regardless of their religions.

And just exactly what would using the term "radical Islam" accomplish?

Is that the magic weapon that's gonna make ISIS self-destruct?

Is using that term going to enhance our ability to defeat ISIS?

The only thing it would really accomplish is exactly what ISIS (and our American right-wing, neo-con evangelicals) want, which is to define this as a religious war and doing so would only serve as a recruitment tool for ISIS.

Terrorism is an act! It's not a faith and it's not a race of people, it's an act of indiscriminate violence.

The U.S. Military is in place to defend the people and the territory of the United States and NOT for the purpose of defending biblical ideologies, or to serve as "The Lord's Army."

posted on Nov, 23 2015 @ 10:18 AM
link   
a reply to: BuzzyWigs

Yeah, Ted Cruz is one sick puppy!

So are the parents who would expose their children to such a pathetic excuse for a presidential candidate.

posted on Nov, 23 2015 @ 10:39 AM
link   
a reply to: BuzzyWigs

posted on Nov, 23 2015 @ 10:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: butcherguy

originally posted by: damwel
Politicians and people in authority should be held to a higher standard and jailed when they lie to the public.

I agree.
If it isn't implemented very slowly, we would be left with no politicians.

And wouldnt that be a shame

posted on Nov, 23 2015 @ 10:46 AM
link   
a reply to: starwarsisreal

Yep! Disturbing, isn't it? I've seen that one, but encourage all readers to view it.

posted on Nov, 23 2015 @ 10:57 AM
link   
It is the same fear mongering from both sides to keep us divided.

This thread is no different than the right spewing BS about Bernie going to make us a communist nation if he is elected.

Same thing. Sensationalized BS. Stick with your team though and embrace the fear and hate.

Enjoy.

Avoiding propaganda rags like salon and Breitbart may ease your fears. They are not real.

posted on Nov, 23 2015 @ 10:58 AM
link   
a reply to: stosh64

Salon is pretty real -
Breitbart is as ridiculous as Alex Jones and Beck and Fox.

Just my opinion.

posted on Nov, 23 2015 @ 11:04 AM
link   
a reply to: starwarsisreal

I feel sorry for those kids.

Oops, I mean those victims of religious prejudice.

edit on 23-11-2015 by Flatfish because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 23 2015 @ 11:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

How about NO religion should be talked about by candidates? Who said anything about atheism?

If religion is part of who someone is then they have a right to talk about it...even if they are a candidate. I know that I don't want to vote an Atheist into office so I like to know if I have a belief in God in common with a candidate.

Well anyone who REALLY cared about their government and how it is ran would know that letting people know your religion as a politician is an irrelevant piece of information because of separation of church and state and all.

I should say vote ANOTHER Atheist in to office because Obama ACTS like a secular atheist even if he pretends to worship God. Actions speak louder than words.

*eyeroll* And this is why having a conversation about a politician's religion is stupid. People such as yourself blatantly and unashamedly lie about their religions anyways.

posted on Nov, 23 2015 @ 11:28 AM
link   

Imagine if Bernie and Ted joined forces.

We'd have a Communist Theocracy.

posted on Nov, 23 2015 @ 11:43 AM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

That would be pretty Christ-like, actually.

posted on Nov, 23 2015 @ 11:46 AM
link   

So - yeah, I just read your post again.
Are you saying Cruz DID NOT SAY THOSE THINGS to those people? That simply because Salon picked it up and ran it, this man, an anthropologist, author, and journalist is lying?

Bernie has never said he was going to make this a communist country.

Cruz has OPENLY said he wants to make this country a theocracy.

posted on Nov, 23 2015 @ 11:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: BuzzyWigs
a reply to: DBCowboy

That would be pretty Christ-like, actually.

If that's the sort of thing you're into, there are probably communes still around.

hahahaha

posted on Nov, 23 2015 @ 11:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: NihilistSanta
Buzzy please explain to me how a theocracy could be created here. I keep seeing claims about this but how does one actually come about? I mean its not like Cruz could change the Supreme Court in such a way that they would suddenly all agree with a theocratic agenda. Did you notice the Gay Marriage ruling this year? I am just curious because I have seen this claim several times but no one explains the actual process of arriving at a theocracy.

As a Christian that was raised in very conservative circles and graduated from a Christian College. You're basically told as a kid & as an adult "lure" people in through good deeds and what is called friendship evangelism. Unlike how we see what radical Islam does, killing infidels and spreading it through violence, far right Evangelical Christens spread their radical beliefs through being "nice" and your friend. so when they change laws its under the radar and in disguise. They simply do it one law at a time. It begins with morality laws. We right now have many states basically trying to root out legal abortion clinics, trying to pas laws that say religious people are exempt from performing gay marriages, women's reproductive rights, aka the vagina probe before an abortion, the laughable anti-sharia laws, etc...In Iowa one representative wanted to ban no fault divorces because it may make teenage girls more promiscuous. That is one example. They do it one law at a time, undercover as they do with their evangelism. They enter these positions of power because they want to change laws to match their hardline theocracy. They see it as their mission field and America as their target. I've been in prayer meetings where people have laid hands on someone running for office and the prayers went straight to "turning American back to its moral state" and its all about those heathens are a danger to the church and America. Since they won't convert then its up to good ole Christians to run for office to change the laws for them. They run for office for the soul purpose of enacting hard line right wing Christian morality. It should scare the shait out of people even if it's a few laws. Do people have to wake up to an "ISIS" type of situation before its recognizable?

posted on Nov, 23 2015 @ 12:13 PM
link   

a reply to: Bluntone22

That's an awfully big stretch. I'd agree he did nothing illegal, but as for doing anything wrong? Lying to children is wrong no matter how you slice it.

I would think that you would be way more concerned with how our schools and universities are churning out far left wingers who dont like free speech and want racially segregated "safe spaces".

posted on Nov, 23 2015 @ 12:34 PM
link   
I personally don't think there's enough support for theocracy in this country for it to happen at this time but that shouldn't be mistaken for a lack of theocratic influence, trends in theocratic sympathies or the very real fact that there are theocratic leaning politicians in office today.

Back in 2013, there was a HuffPost / YouGov Omnibus Poll with 32% of 1000 adults surveyed saying they'd support an amendment to the Constitution to establish Christianity as the state religion of the US. 46% of the 244 self-identified Republicans expressed support of this.

Earlier this year, 57% of respondents to a Public Policy Polling survey of 316 Republican primary voters said they would "Support establishing Christianity as the national religion."

Polls are far from perfect but you've only got to look around to see that the uptick in "America is a Christian nation" and "America was founded as a Christian nation" rhetoric from politicians and more importantly, everyday people, to know that there is considerable support for the idea. This concept of America as a "Christian Nation" is central in a larger nationalist movement that has flourished on the Right since the 2008 elections. A popular narrative among those on the Right is that "Christianity is under attack" from the Left and in the most extreme instances, there is widespread belief in a conspiracy — one that goes all the way to the Oval Office — to subvert Christianity and replace its influence with that of Islam. How many millions of people in this country honestly believe that?

These are just some of the more overt indications of what's been going on (mostly) behind the scenes.

Since at least the late 70's-early 80's (in some cases like Falwell, it goes back to the 50's), a growing Christian Right, controlled by evangelist fundamentalist, has been gaining increasingly more influence over American politics. They have a lot of sway over the voting behavior of their collective congregations and they are major contributors to political campaigns (directly and through PACs) as well as constituting a very large and powerful lobby.

The New Yorker - A Disciplined, Charging Army (May 18, 1980)

On October 3, 1980, just a month before his victory in the Presidential election, Ronald Reagan stopped in Lynchburg, Virginia, to address a convention of the National Religious Broadcasters, whose host was the Reverend Jerry Falwell, pastor of the Thomas Road Baptist Church in Lynchburg and the president of the Moral Majority.

About a year before, the press had begun to report on a campaign, already under way, to mold conservative Christians into a political voting bloc. The leaders of the campaign—a number of political organizers for conservative causes and a number of television evangelists—claimed a constituency of fifty million Protestant evangelicals and thirty million “morally conservative” Catholics, as well as a few million Mormons and Orthodox Jews. The political organizers did not, in spite of their public statements, really expect to enlist this whole constituency or to create a Christian political party. What they expected was that a campaign focussed on such concerns as abortion, homosexuality, and the proposed Equal Rights Amendment might swing sufficient numbers of Catholics and Protestant evangelicals to change the normal voting patterns and the election results.

Jerry Falwell who said in 1958 of the Brown v Board of Education:

"If Chief Justice Warren and his associates had known God's word and had desired to do the Lord's will, I am quite confident that the 1954 decision would never had been made. The facilities should be separate. When God has drawn a line of distinction, we should not attempt to cross that line."

and in a 1976 sermon:

"The idea that religion and politics don't mix was invented by the Devil to keep Christians from running their own country. If [there is] any place in the world we need Christianity, it's in Washington. And that's why preachers long since need to get over that intimidation forced upon us by liberals, that if we mention anything about politics, we are degrading our ministry."

and in 1979 in his book America Can Be Saved!

"I hope I live to see the day when, as in the early days of our country, we won't have any public schools. The churches will have taken them over again and Christians will be running them. What a happy day that will be!"

People like Rick Santorum go to Liberty University (founded by Falwell, run by his son since his death) and say things like this (in 2014):

"We stood and confronted evil," he said. "We confronted evil in our own country because of people of faith motivating us to combat those injustices, and we had the courage to combat evil around the world because we were not afraid to call evil 'evil.' We were not afraid to make that judgment because we saw it clearly through the eyes of faith."

Revisionist history is a big part of their platform obviously. He also went on a long rant about how secularism is making us tolerant of evil. Anyway, this post is already too long but if anyone wants to get an idea of some more of these associations (and actually some that are quite a bit WORSE), check out these recent threads of mine:

Three GOP Candidates Speaking At Hate Monger's Bigotry Fest
About those 'Free Speech Protesters' at the University of Michigan
edit on 2015-11-23 by theantediluvian because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 23 2015 @ 12:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheBulk

a reply to: Bluntone22

That's an awfully big stretch. I'd agree he did nothing illegal, but as for doing anything wrong? Lying to children is wrong no matter how you slice it.

I would think that you would be way more concerned with how our schools and universities are churning out far left wingers who dont like free speech and want racially segregated "safe spaces".

Why would I be concerned with something that isn't happening?

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join