It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sicilian Mafia Offers Big Apple Protection From 'Psychopathic' ISIS

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 22 2015 @ 07:07 PM
link   
Mafia to the rescue.
Um...okay. I guess you never know who your real friends are...until ISIS threatens to kill you.
This is another illustration of just how topsy-turvy the world has become in these trying times.
First, Obama makes Iran an offer they can't refuse...and now, it appears the Godfather is gonna do the same thing for ISIS.

Politics may make strange bedfellows, but International terrorism takes that old adage to a whole new level..

And speaking of 'strange bedfellows', I don't know about you, but I can't wait to hear about Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi waking up to that camel's head in HIS bed.

The son of a New York mob boss has given Islamic State a stark warning, saying if they are planning any attacks in New York, they will have to contend with the Sicilian mafia. The notorious crime syndicate say they want to do their bit to protect locals.

Giovanni Gambino, the son of a key figure in the Gambino mob organization, says the mafia is in a much better position than security bodies, such as the FBI or Homeland Security, to give New Yorkers the protection they need.

“They often act too late, or fail to see a complete picture of what's happening due to a lack of ‘human intelligence,’” he said in an interview with NBC News, as cited by Reuters, adding that the mafia’s knowledge of individual movements and interaction with locals gives it the upper hand, even compared to the latest surveillance technologies.

Gambino, who is trying to carve out a career as a Hollywood screenwriter, says that, following the horrendous terror attacks in Paris on November 13, protection is more important than ever.

"The world is dangerous today, but people living in New York neighborhoods with Sicilian connections should feel safe," he said. "We make sure our friends and families are protected from extremists and terrorists, especially the brutal, psychopathic organization that calls itself the Islamic State,”

Gambino Jr, who was brought up in Torretta, a mountainous area overlooking Palermo, the capital of Sicily, says that Islamic State (formerly ISIS/ISIL) fear the Sicilian mafia, and this has been one of the main reasons why they have not tried to set up any underground cells in Sicily.

The Italian island has not suffered from any terrorist attacks and Gambino feels that the mafia can offer protection in New York to help curb the rise of the Islamist terror group and help people see the mob in a new light.

"The mafia has a bad reputation, but much of that's undeserved," says Gambino, who moved to Brooklyn in 1988. "As with everything in life, there are good, bad and ugly parts – the rise of global terrorism gives the mafia a chance to show its good side."

www.rt.com...

edit on 22-11-2015 by IAMTAT because: (no reason given)

edit on 22-11-2015 by IAMTAT because: (no reason given)

+5 more 
posted on Nov, 22 2015 @ 07:13 PM
link   
Well, Lucky Luciano and the precursor to the Genovese Crime Family had a secret deal with the government during World War II to help prevent Nazis from infiltrating the New York docks.

posted on Nov, 22 2015 @ 07:25 PM
link   
No such thing as "the mafia". I'd rather rely on law enforcement's intel.

posted on Nov, 22 2015 @ 07:38 PM
link   
This is one of my favorite OPs lately, the smart-assedness got me.

ISIS is really just pissing everyone off at this point. Good reminder that most of our differences are rather petty little things.

posted on Nov, 22 2015 @ 07:50 PM
link   
Sorry, I just have to laugh, somewhere here at ATS there is another thread as to who or what takes over from IS..now I know...I think.
Those Sicilians, they ain't even proper Italians.

posted on Nov, 22 2015 @ 07:56 PM
link   
I know that the mafia is a criminal organization. This is just more of the benefits of the mafia being around and totally approve of these families doing this. However it's only because they would have it much harder under the strict sharia law the nut bags want to spread around the world.

posted on Nov, 22 2015 @ 07:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

Well, Lucky Luciano and the precursor to the Genovese Crime Family had a secret deal with the government during World War II to help prevent Nazis from infiltrating the New York docks.

Was just going to say this, funny how people don't remember history isn't it?

We're watching it all happen right before our eyes

No offense to the OP and no disrespect. But the amount of surprise in many posters is indicative of how public education now days fails to teach history

The extortion, err I mean protection racket has always been a big money maker for the mob

Good story OP! S and F
edit on 11/22/2015 by ManBehindTheMask because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 22 2015 @ 08:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

ISIS is bad for business.... you don't want to be bad for business... or jeopardize "protection money / insurance"

posted on Nov, 22 2015 @ 09:04 PM
link   
Giovanni Gambino has been known to "talk too much" when he's trying to sell a book or something similar. He did an interview in 2012 and said some things about the mob's dealing to get attention for his book. I'd give this a grain of salt at the most.

posted on Nov, 22 2015 @ 09:18 PM
link   
Nothing personal ISIS, just business. Rights? Due process? Sure. C'mon over here and we'll give you all you could ever want.

posted on Nov, 22 2015 @ 10:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: mikeone718

I prefer law enforcement too, but if you really think there's no such thing as the mafia, you have another think coming.

And that's all I have to say about that.

posted on Nov, 22 2015 @ 11:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: mikeone718

What do you mean "the mafia" of course there is...How can you not think the mafia real? There are mobs that run areas of town in most major cities.

posted on Nov, 23 2015 @ 12:23 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

their secret deal with the govt went futher than just protecting docks. they were also asked, and successfully did so, to infiltrate the Italian fascists in north Africa and act as moles dropping dime on who was who and what their plans were to the US and UK intelligence services. OSS were the ones going around recruiting Italian mob to help in the war effort.

posted on Nov, 23 2015 @ 12:49 AM
link   
Ey, what's right is right, Jimmy.

You're gonna have to dig a lotta holes.

posted on Nov, 23 2015 @ 06:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: BASSPLYR
their secret deal with the govt went futher than just protecting docks. they were also asked, and successfully did so, to infiltrate the Italian fascists in north Africa and act as moles dropping dime on who was who and what their plans were to the US and UK intelligence services. OSS were the ones going around recruiting Italian mob to help in the war effort.

Yes, they did, Operation Underworld was fairly comprehensive. Luciano also got his sentence commuted and was, after the war, deported to Italy. He ended up in Cuba where he ran the Commission from Havana for a few years and remained influential in Mafia politics until his death.

edit on 23-11-2015 by AugustusMasonicus because: Never go in against a Sicilian when death is on the line

posted on Nov, 23 2015 @ 02:51 PM
link   
a reply to: IAMTAT

Hey if China, Russian and the US can get along lets hope the bloods, latin kings and the crips can get together and stomp out isis on our turf...they certainly have the guns...

posted on Nov, 23 2015 @ 03:35 PM
link   
Government used to turn a blind eye to domestic Mafia's, so ISIS type radical groups couldn't gain ground. How far do you think terrorists would get today, in the USA, if the mafia was still as powerful as it was in the post war period?

Not very far. In that kind of environment, terrorists would not be able to launder dirty money, buy weapons or find safe-houses because the mafia would always find out if something was going on in their territory. Then combine that mafia influence with the efforts of the FBI, CIA and NSA and terrorists would always be "between a rock and a hard place".

Why do you think the Japanese government has traditionally turned a blind-eye to Yakuza activity?

Japan's yakuza are deeply connected in both their operations and core values to the political right wing. Many of the crime syndicate's members see themselves as soldiers in an unofficial resident army that would take up arms if Japan were ever attacked. "We're ready to fight, any place, any time," a member of Japan's third-largest yakuza organization told VICE News at a meeting of right-wing nationalists. He asked that his name not be mentioned. "When I saw the beheadings, I thought, # those guys!" he remarked. "If I saw one of those IS guys on the street, I'd beat the # out of them. You won't see us killing anyone this way."

Our government hurt themselves by weakening the Domestic Mafia in the USA. That weakening gave room for other foreign mafias and terrorist to move and become successful, unburdened by an established mafia that was loyal to the USA.
edit on 23-11-2015 by boohoo because: (no reason given)

join