It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Free yoga class shut down because yoga is now offensive

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 22 2015 @ 06:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: LanceCorvette
a reply to: trollz

I teach yoga, three classes a week. They can bite my ass.

I haven't appropriated anything.

What, next non-Italians won't be able to eat pizza?

If someone tries to take my pizza slice away...I WILL bite them....Hard!

I'm serious about my pizza.

posted on Nov, 22 2015 @ 06:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: lovebeck
Someone wake me up when this "generation of the offended" is over.

Please and thank you. Don't want to offend anyone.

Uugghhh, I'm SO offended that you didn't say namaste along with the 'please and thank you.'

How could you be so culturally insensitive to yoga practitioners?

posted on Nov, 22 2015 @ 06:59 PM
link   
a reply to: MagesticEsoteric

would that be 'cultural appropriation'. Because culture and the designers of yoga pants had a specific culture in mind when they were designed. Anyone who is to big for yoga pants, stole them from the skinny people.

posted on Nov, 22 2015 @ 07:08 PM
link   
Look at the positive side Yoga peeps - thanks to the political correction train, at least you are flexible enough to bend over and kiss your own ass good-bye, because no-more normal-soup for you - the precious snowflakes have taken over due to their "feelings"

posted on Nov, 22 2015 @ 07:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: thinline
a reply to: MagesticEsoteric

would that be 'cultural appropriation'. Because culture and the designers of yoga pants had a specific culture in mind when they were designed. Anyone who is to big for yoga pants, stole them from the skinny people.

I suppose I'm guilty of 'cultural appropriation' then....

People better just keep their hands off my pizza and my yoga pants.

I need them both. Yoga because of all the damn pizza.

posted on Nov, 22 2015 @ 07:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sublimecraft
Look at the positive side Yoga peeps - thanks to the political correction train, at least you are flexible enough to bend over and kiss your own ass good-bye, because no-more normal-soup for you - the precious snowflakes have taken over due to their "feelings"

OMG, that is the funniest thing I've read all day. LOL!!!!

posted on Nov, 22 2015 @ 07:19 PM
link   
Reminds me of an old saying: "Nobody expects the INQUISITION!"
Whoda thunk that yoga would be offensive?
Sounds like a plot by BigPharma to me. Those people might get healthy and not need their meds---those yoga people MUST BE STOPPED!

And yes, I'd like to see companies prohibited from manufacturing yoga pants in the extra large sizes. Just because you can't un-see things.

posted on Nov, 22 2015 @ 07:27 PM
link   
a reply to: mahatche

From your link.

Cultural appropriation is when members of a dominant culture adopt parts of another culture from people that they’ve also systematically oppressed. The dominant culture can try the food and love the food without ever having to experience oppression because of their consumption.

Does this mean people are going to try to take away my Mexican food? But I hate Taco Bell. I go to real Mexican restaurants with real Mexican employees! Sniff. I'm supporting their business. I leave tips. Tell me it ain't true!

And this whole yoga thing is over the top crazy. Oh, this is depressing.

posted on Nov, 22 2015 @ 07:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: Quetzalcoatl14

originally posted by: Sremmos80
This is the examples of 'PC' out of control that I can get behind.

Yes we stole the practice, but if we got rid of everything we stole then we wouldn't have jack.

The thing is, many Indians teach such classes, and yoga in the West actually got going because several prominent yogis from India were sent by their masters to the West to do exactly that!

This is all understandable, but the system of masters is part of a much larger problem.

The avatars themselves are sworn to maintain this place as the garbage cesspool that it is, not to mention its affiliation with Judeo-Christianity.

In the end it is all the same, control groups, doorkeepers making sure NOONE, even themselves ever escape, all the while deluding themselves that they know what delusion is.

One can bypass all the work of Yoga in a few short days if they will, and activate energies that rival anything ever mentioned, while yoga is a slow trivial path, meant to delay and STOP you from ever realizing the TRUE SELF,

They love it when people actually believe that Yoga is the answer, it is just another ceiling.

posted on Nov, 22 2015 @ 07:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: LanceCorvette

Yes we stole the practice, but if we got rid of everything we stole then we wouldn't have jack.

The thing is, many Indians teach such classes, and yoga in the West actually got going because several prominent yogis from India were sent by their masters to the West to do exactly that!

Ha ha, I teach a regular class at the local gym where I have three *Indian* women who come all the time!

Haha, nice man. Are they actually Indian, given your quotes?

I've actually always wanted to do the yoga teacher course at some point. A lot of my friends have taught at various points.

Which style do you teach?

posted on Nov, 22 2015 @ 08:00 PM
link   
I`d give an equally stupid reply be claiming that yoga is actually Beelzebub worship and by banning it, it is infringing on ones religious beliefs. Because no one wants to infringe on ones religion's beliefs no matter how stupid or asinine it is. Remember there was someone not long ago able to sue for not being able to wear kitchen tools on her head at the DMV.

Or just change the name of the class from "Yoga" to a more politically correct term like "graceful stretching". There problem solved.

edit on 22-11-2015 by StratosFear because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 22 2015 @ 08:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: and14263
BS non-story. There's more to this than what is reported. That's why it doesn't make sense.

The Daily Mail is as palatable as bell cheese.

Actually, no, other people have made the exact same argument, i.e. that Westerners shouldn't do yoga because it is "cultural appropriation." I've heard people say it in my presence.

Get with it brah.

posted on Nov, 22 2015 @ 08:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: Wildbob77
When will this idiotic behavior stop?

Using this logic, everything is cultural appropriation because some culture did it first.

No one has the balls anymore to point out when people are being just plain stupid

Need to stop apologizing and start speaking up straight about what we reject.

One thing is: having a minority over ride our customs. They can leave and not soon enough for my liking!

posted on Nov, 22 2015 @ 08:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: ladyinwaiting
a reply to: mahatche

From your link.

Cultural appropriation is when members of a dominant culture adopt parts of another culture from people that they’ve also systematically oppressed. The dominant culture can try the food and love the food without ever having to experience oppression because of their consumption.

Does this mean people are going to try to take away my Mexican food? But I hate Taco Bell. I go to real Mexican restaurants with real Mexican employees! Sniff. I'm supporting their business. I leave tips. Tell me it ain't true!

And this whole yoga thing is over the top crazy. Oh, this is depressing.

i have no idea. i can't even begin to understand why they think i need to experience oppression before enjoying food to begin with. you'd think supporting the businesses that they themselves decided to open helps them, but apparently my enjoyment brings pain.

posted on Nov, 22 2015 @ 08:23 PM
link   
a reply to: UKWO1Phot

that was the argument a few years ago when a school district established yoga as part of their physical education program. Parents, who had no idea what the hell they were talking about, claimed the school was trying to indoctrinate students into some sort of Budda based program. Absolutely ridiculous. Yoga is a great thing to teach to high school and junior high school students. It is one tough workout. It is strength building and low impact. It does not tear rotator cuffs or blow out knees. It is mostly isometric exercises that doesn't require expensive equipment. I used to be a pretty advanced weight lifter and pretty good athlete. I tried yoga because as I was getting older I found I was losing agility. It was difficult to get started but I loved it. The way I felt after a workout could not be produced any other way. There is nothing spiritual about it and anyone who thinks there is should give it a try. They wont because that requires some sweat and these people are not interested in improving our country, they are more interested in being the catalyst to stop something...anything... Progress.....just to feed their own miserable need to make a difference in something in their life, good or bad (but probably bad). The sad human nature this brings out surrounds us everyday. Pedantic people who would rather feign indignation and stop progress so they can say "I did that, therefore I am smarter than you".

posted on Nov, 22 2015 @ 08:29 PM
link   
The pc here is nlbs. Tides are turning in that pc will affect the pro pcers.

I dont know but its similar to carson trump who want a chart on everyone including legal gun owners.

posted on Nov, 22 2015 @ 08:31 PM
link   
Yoga isn't offensive. It's disgusting unless you put blueberries or peaches in.... what? Never mind.

Someone needs to be slapped for this one. WTF is wrong with yoga? Many NFL players use it to extend their careers.

posted on Nov, 22 2015 @ 08:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: ParasuvO

This is all understandable, but the system of masters is part of a much larger problem.

The avatars themselves are sworn to maintain this place as the garbage cesspool that it is, not to mention its affiliation with Judeo-Christianity.

In the end it is all the same, control groups, doorkeepers making sure NOONE, even themselves ever escape, all the while deluding themselves that they know what delusion is.

One can bypass all the work of Yoga in a few short days if they will, and activate energies that rival anything ever mentioned, while yoga is a slow trivial path, meant to delay and STOP you from ever realizing the TRUE SELF,

They love it when people actually believe that Yoga is the answer, it is just another ceiling.

I 100% disagree with you here. "Real" yoga teaches you that all of the society stuff is an illusion and then gives you a system specifically designed to go to the doorway within and become free. The system of esoteric yoga is the opposite of what you are saying. It is anti-fundamentalist religion and pro-liberation. It's ONLY about removing the illusions and reclaiming our natural birthright, i.e. our real self which is already at union with the universe, and by doing so gaining access to all things and knowledge.

Don't confuse yoga classes with real yoga.

Also, there are no shortcuts for most people. You claim in a few days someone can become liberated but in reality most people have to put forth a concerted effort to pierce all of the delusion and superimpositions of society that cut us off from our real self. Very few people in history, even if those anecdotes can be believed, have spontaneously become aware or in a short time become so. And often for those kinds of people it's some very powerful experience that rocked their worldview.
edit on 22-11-2015 by Quetzalcoatl14 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 22 2015 @ 08:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: icewater
a reply to: UKWO1Phot

that was the argument a few years ago when a school district established yoga as part of their physical education program. Parents, who had no idea what the hell they were talking about, claimed the school was trying to indoctrinate students into some sort of Budda based program. Absolutely ridiculous. Yoga is a great thing to teach to high school and junior high school students. It is one tough workout. It is strength building and low impact. It does not tear rotator cuffs or blow out knees. It is mostly isometric exercises that doesn't require expensive equipment. I used to be a pretty advanced weight lifter and pretty good athlete. I tried yoga because as I was getting older I found I was losing agility. It was difficult to get started but I loved it. The way I felt after a workout could not be produced any other way. There is nothing spiritual about it and anyone who thinks there is should give it a try. They wont because that requires some sweat and these people are not interested in improving our country, they are more interested in being the catalyst to stop something...anything... Progress.....just to feed their own miserable need to make a difference in something in their life, good or bad (but probably bad). The sad human nature this brings out surrounds us everyday. Pedantic people who would rather feign indignation and stop progress so they can say "I did that, therefore I am smarter than you".

With all due respect, it is your perspective that is what fuels the appropriation arguments.

Yoga isn't stretching nor "yoga classes." Those are called Asanas. It should be called Asana Class, what you are describing. Yes, those are amazing for all of the physical things you just mentioned, and are good for any work out or health regime.

However, calling it yoga is a bastardization of what real yoga is. Yoga is nothing less than a purported system of life and spirituality aimed specifically at enlightenment, going within and finding the true self, and attaining union with a pantheistic universal force (God). So you are wrong, it is a very spiritual thing. Christians are actually correct that it isn't just a work out. I just disagree with their fear of such.

So the cultural appropriation accusers are actually correct to a degree that calling a workout version of a very sacred spiritual system "yoga" Is kind of a mockery of it.

I disagree with them, however, that people like me who study the real thing (or at least have before) shouldn't be able to practice it.

posted on Nov, 22 2015 @ 08:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: mahatche
Here's another one that blew my mind. the PC police have release a guide on how to eat without culturally appropriating your food.

Can't just enjoy the food of other cultures anymore, now you have to feel guilt ridden about it. The parts of culture that were once the most effective bridges, are now a reason to self-flagellate.
everydayfeminism.com...

Let me sum up her lengthy point-by-point rant:

"People are introduced to new food from other places & LIKE it! Some go all idiot & think I'm the Taiwanese food authority, so I'm going to get my little girl panties in a bunch and rant about it being cultural appropriation instead of saying it's just food, dudes. And I'm going to somehow shoehorn feminism in the title there while I'm at it, and cry over the injustices I invent."

Basically, she's yea-shy of going full retard here.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join