It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Did Robert Palmer make "The Stepford Wives" sexy?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 21 2015 @ 01:45 AM
link   
I've always thought of the film "The Stepford Wives" as belonging completely in the horror genre. I know some people like the idea of clonish sameness however.

www.youtube.com...

I read some of the comments on the music videos below recently. One of the commenters made a really interesting point, the videos depict a situation like "The Stepford Wives." I always thought of the videos as just being a beautiful fantasy (I was an adolescent when they were released). I never asked the question until recently, what's the fantasy being portrayed?

As a commenter pointed out, based on the video, the title of the song "Simply Irresistible" could be changed to "Simply Interchangeable." Again, I'd find that nightmarish in any other context. But, when you put it in the context that Robert Palmer did, it becomes attractive somehow. Based on the comments I read, both men and women seem to generally agree on that.

All this reminds me of a quote I heard a Hollywood actor say once, "It's not what you say, it's how you say it." In other words, you can get away with saying almost anything if it's said in the right context. In this case, "The Stepford Wives" is not put in the light of being a nightmarish scenario but a sexy fantasy instead. I could understand one buying into that view if they had a weird fetish for it (although I'd say it's a bizarre fetish). But, somehow Robert Palmer apparently took his bizarre fetish and got most of the world to accept it and agree with him on some level.

Does anyone fully understand the power of media? The more I learn about it, the more unreal it seems.

www.youtube.com...

www.youtube.com...
edit on 21-11-2015 by Profusion because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 21 2015 @ 02:30 AM
link   
a reply to: Profusion

What bothers me about the music industry (music videos in particular) is the subliminal messaging.

I've got proof of subliminal messages in a music video I found and have been meaning to make a thread about it but can't for the life of me find the time or know-how to upload all the images and so on..

For those who want to know what it contains, it's mostly "illuminati" imagery, the pyramid with the eye of horus, some images that look like a star system and other strange occult type things.

The song is called just what I am and the artists name is kid cuddi, he's a hip hop musician who apparently is also pushing an agenda.

posted on Nov, 21 2015 @ 05:02 AM
link   
first of all this is one creepy yet seriously important movie and S&F for drawing my attention to this wow.

posted on Nov, 21 2015 @ 05:29 AM
link   
Not wishing to hijack the thead, but ...

originally posted by: threeeyesopen

The artists name is kid cuddi, he's a hip hop musician who apparently is also pushing an agenda.

He isn't. He and/or his record company are just using the imagery in the belief that it will sell more product.

posted on Nov, 21 2015 @ 05:43 AM
link   
I've always thought that Stepford Wives was a cop-out, from the "horror" point of view.
As the film develops, it looks as though it's about the geunine horror theme of hostile mind control.
"Something is taking people over and turning them into a different kind of person.Could that happen to me?"
But the grand revelation at the end of the film is that they are not being taken over at all. They are being killed and replaced by robots. OK, so this is a still a crime. But from the wife's viewpoint, being killed and replaced by a robot is not appreciably more horrific than being killed and replaced by a younger woman.
"Being turned into a robot against your will" is "horror".
"Being killed and replaced" is only crime story/thriller.

edit on 21-11-2015 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 21 2015 @ 06:35 AM
link   
I remember the fuss generated by Palmer's video but I thought the women in the videos were like chorus girls- all dressed alike however the aloof boredom on their faces gave the impression that they were unattainable. Sort of a "yes I am out of your league and we both know it" expression. I also saw them as an homage to the artist Patrick Nagel whose prints of fashionable women were everywhere for so many years.

Sal

posted on Nov, 21 2015 @ 09:20 AM
link   
I know this is off topic, but most of today's music "artists" (LOL! Artists ...) don't write their lyrics, and allot of times the beats or music is created by the same people that do everyone else's. Most, not all, but most.

posted on Nov, 21 2015 @ 09:34 AM
link   
I'm always joking with my techie husband that I'm his own customized Stepford Wife....now mind you, this is a guy who likes to customize everything, writes his own code and who is notorious for making Franken-computers....so I guess I check out on the spec platforms he prefers, because he keeps me around for some reason.

I guess what I'm getting at is in the original movie, the Wives were customized to each mans preferences, with a compatible social proxy for keeping the town mellow and pleasant without female infighting and irrational emotional chaos so the guys could focus on their work without histrionics.

Oh sure, I suppose most guys would think the Palmer Girls a bland stock model housing, but come on....most programmers like keeping their private source code private, so the "interchangeability" aspect must be for consumer grade platforms. You know, like the Google-Gear-heads and iPeople-Pods....so really, what I think we're looking at here in Palmer's video is more of a Consumer Grade Fantasy Bot for the average man on the street....and of course marketers always get it wrong, so they'll sell the upgrades and DLC after you get the rent to own versions.

Of course, that could just be my personal opinion programming....but....beep beep boop boop...there it is.

edit on 11/21/15 by GENERAL EYES because: grammar edit

posted on Nov, 21 2015 @ 11:26 AM
link   
a reply to: lacrimoniousfinale

seems like such a backwards idea for them to do if they want to sell products..isn't everyone against the "illuminati".

new topics

top topics

join