It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Orange County, CA school district apologizes for making 7th graders sing Islamic 'fight song'

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 20 2015 @ 10:54 PM
link   
a reply to: MagesticEsoteric

Two. Was that quick enough?

posted on Nov, 20 2015 @ 10:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: FlySolo

originally posted by: DBCowboy
a reply to: FlySolo

Sorry. I just don't see it. Some parents freak if there's a Harry Potter book in the library. Other parents freak over a bible passage uttered by a teacher. Yeah, I saw the lyrics. I actually rad them and guess what!

I didn't convert to Islam.

So I don't see the issue. I think people are just too sensitive.

You missed the point. The only thing those lyrics are missing is an Allah Akbar war cry. It's "explosive"
Children, I can understand having all this stuff go over their heads. What's your excuse?

If we were actually fighting a war on terrorism instead of generating sound bites for the nightly news, I'd say the better to know your enemy.

I don't see kids strapping bomb vests on after the class. Maybe college students, they seem to be idiotic lately. But not kids.

posted on Nov, 20 2015 @ 11:01 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

It's called indoctrination. I have a very hard time with watching kids get taught religious stuff at an age before they can ask the right questions. It should be limited to university and only be historical.

posted on Nov, 20 2015 @ 11:06 PM
link   
a reply to: Sremmos80

We are in 100% agreement.

posted on Nov, 20 2015 @ 11:07 PM
link   

a reply to: DBCowboy

It's called indoctrination. I have a very hard time with watching kids get taught religious stuff at an age before they can ask the right questions. It should be limited to university and only be historical.

The bible, Islam, Harry Potter, all the same as far as I'm concerned. Only susceptible minds get indoctrinated. Only weak minds get indoctrinated.

posted on Nov, 20 2015 @ 11:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy
a reply to: MagesticEsoteric

Two. Was that quick enough?

LOL!

I should have written more literally.

"Quick question...."

"Do you have children?"

I like your sense of humor

LOL!

posted on Nov, 20 2015 @ 11:52 PM
link   
What's a matter your not PC Brah!?

(south park 2015)

posted on Nov, 20 2015 @ 11:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: Brotherman
What's a matter your not PC Brah!?

(south park 2015)

I'm not surprised South Park is making fun of the politically correct BS this season... And it's spot on, lol. That's how I also treat PC bs, as COMEDY.

posted on Nov, 21 2015 @ 12:11 AM
link   
a reply to: Kromlech
Dantes Inferno was a work of satire too. I felt like I just read an ad not the news. My poor brain and the content I put in it ugh!

posted on Nov, 21 2015 @ 03:24 AM
link   
This school is just a few miles away from my new home and I was in shock when I learned children were being told to sing this song. In my opinion religion should only be brought up in schools when 1) its relevant to history or 2) the beliefs are being taught in a way that's not biased. This assignment was insulting to not only Christians but Muslims as well. Kids are so impressionable and this could have them, wrongly, left believing Islam = hate and violence. Who knows, it may even be enough to start radicalizing a misguided child too.

posted on Nov, 21 2015 @ 07:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: peppycat
I'd be upset over this and I don't have a huge problem with Islam. Teachers aren't supposed to teach religion and the song she made/changed doesn't even teach Islam as a whole, it seems to teach the part of Islam that the world has so many problems with.

It definitely crossed the line.

My daughters go to a catholic school (primary for Uk readers, elementary for US readers
) and they've been introduced to a range of religions. They school has even invited the local Imam, Rabbi, Sikh... err, I forget what Sikh religious leaders are called but someone from the local temple anyway... at various times to come in and talk to the children about their faith. I think that's brilliant and I fully support it.

What the school hasn't done, of course, is to make the kids effectively take part in worship in a religion that goes against the faith of the school. If the school didn't have any religious affiliation, I wouldn't expect them to have any element of worship at all - they should be completely neutral.

posted on Nov, 21 2015 @ 07:33 AM
link   

eta:
ISIS banner propaganda poster assignment in Utah school. Canceled once parents found out
fox13now.com...

SALEM, Utah -- Students in ninth grade at Salem Junior High School were given a homework assignment where they were told to draw a propaganda poster for a terrorist organization.

After parents complained, the assignment was canceled. However, many students had already completed it, leaving some parents concerned about what they had been exposed to in the process.

Smh. I'm telling you something is really messed up.

The propaganda poster is a very different issue. It's an attempt to understand the process by deconstructing it - and one of the most effective ways to deconstruct it is to try to construct it. ISIS was most likely picked because it was the most topical and the students would have more exposure to the issues surrounding the group thanks to constant media attention.

We did something very similar at school, though our focus was on Stalin's Russia. The goal was to force us to look at an issue - even a difficult one - from both sides.

Ninth grade would be... what, 15 years old? They should be intellectually and emotionally stable enough to handle this.

This situation is more of a problem with parents than teachers.

<< 1  2  3   >>

join