It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ISIS defector explains a key reason why people continue to join the group

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 20 2015 @ 10:03 AM
link   
Great article and key to understanding how ISIS has grown so large.
They also get money shoveled to them by Saudi Arabia, Qatar and probably the US.
Has anyone else noticed how Israel doesn't seem to be a concern to ISIS?

posted on Nov, 20 2015 @ 10:04 AM
link   
a reply to: redhorse

These vain-glorious, ridiculous soap boxes will crumble to splinters under your self-righteous feet, as they should.

Exactly.

The arrogance and ignorance is astounding.

posted on Nov, 20 2015 @ 10:05 AM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

I'm explaining how a terrible situation can lead someone to do the unthinkable. Such actions may be hard for you to conceptualize, but that is just because you lack perspective.

I just brought my BF in here so he could join me in laughing. I lack perspective. Right.

To the OP: This is a rather unique perspective, and I appreciate your posting it. Obviously desperation can cause people to take desperate actions, particularly when it injures those we love, even moreso than ourselves. Any human being knows that. I'm just not sure the primary motivation in this case is to attain money to feed children. If fact, I'm certain it isn't. If that were case we would have paid them off a decade ago. From what I've read their desire to obtain money is to further their war.

edit on 11/20/2015 by ladyinwaiting because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 20 2015 @ 10:05 AM
link   
a reply to: Dr1Akula

So we should feel sorry for those, that economic needs pushed them to join a terrorist group and went on beheading innocent people and murdering women and children for money.

You miss the point: not everyone in Daesh is a terrorist. Some of them are just truck drivers or oil rig hands. What you are doing is akin to say every American on welfare deserves to die because the United States army has killed innocent Muslims. There is a reason why the United States and its allies are being careful about choosing targets, and warning civilians if they are going to be in the line of fire. The US is following the Geneva Conventions. Certain other nations are not.

posted on Nov, 20 2015 @ 10:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: FamCore

So are we supposed to "feel bad for them"? Is there any reason we should be defending these peoples' choices of joining up? Not that I'm aware of. They are people just like we are.

Did I say we should feel bad for them? They made their decision, they should be prepared to live with the consequences.

I don't have to make those tough decisions so I don't know - but acting like "this was their only choice" is stupid - we have no idea what other options they could've had. Limited options, yet. Would they be raking in as much cash doing labor/other work? No.

Every person's life is different. Are you trying to tell me that NO Syrians were stuck between a rock and a hard place when it comes to starving or joining ISIS?

But the fact of the matter is that ISIS and groups like this are not only killing innocent people, but also causing the Western World to demonize all Muslims as a result. I don't feel bad and I don't condone these peoples' decisions to join up.

I've already said I don't condone ISIS. Stop preaching to me.

I understand journalists are trying to "find out more" about these issues but I don't think it's helpful when it starts a dialogue where we start making excuses for why ISIS has a growing following and what tough circumstances might have led people to follow.

Starting a dialog can introduce us to answers to the problem that don't involve fighting, thus radicalizing more people by blowing up civilians. Why is that a bad thing? I didn't realize that exploring all options was such a terrible thing to do?

posted on Nov, 20 2015 @ 10:07 AM
link   
a reply to: Asktheanimals

Has anyone else noticed how Israel doesn't seem to be a concern to ISIS

Driving those white Toyotas up the Golan Heights would be a tactical nightmare, don't you think?

posted on Nov, 20 2015 @ 10:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: ladyinwaiting

I'm explaining how a terrible situation can lead someone to do the unthinkable. Such actions may be hard for you to conceptualize, but that is just because you lack perspective.

I just brought my BF in here so he could join me in laughing. I lack perspective. Right.

So you HAVE been starving on the street in a war zone wondering if you'd live to see the next day then? I wasn't sure since you cleverly ignored that question earlier in the thread.
edit on 20-11-2015 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 20 2015 @ 10:08 AM
link   
With the differing interests groups wanting a piece of the MSM 24/7 news cycle to help promote their own agenda/21 ,maybe, maybe, it might be a point for the UN to step up to the plate to resolve this eh ? They do want to see a re-distribution of wealth and so this could be their propaganda contribution ....poor unemployed isis fighters ....

posted on Nov, 20 2015 @ 10:08 AM
link   
just nvm
edit on 20-11-2015 by FamCore because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 20 2015 @ 10:09 AM
link   
a reply to: FamCore

Y'all are the ones attacking me for having an opinion. Inserting words into my argument. Being sarcastic and derisive. Heck one person just told me they called their boyfriend over to laugh at me, and YOU are trying to lecture me about being rude? HA!

posted on Nov, 20 2015 @ 10:12 AM
link   

I agree. Hence young women selling their bodies. I doubt that's what they dreamed they would be doing when they grew up but if needs must...

posted on Nov, 20 2015 @ 10:12 AM
link   

Well the condescending manner in which you've said "you lack perspective" comes off as "I know better than you, and thus you are inferior", I wasn't trying to attack you in any way.

You can share your thoughts and information about the subject without shutting others down. That's all I was trying to say

posted on Nov, 20 2015 @ 10:15 AM
link   

That's better. I honestly believed you were trying to defend ISIS. Defending Islam is one thing entirely, but defending ISIS is off the charts crazy, so I'm glad you cleared that up.

Just don't make the mistake of making judgments about other people, and what they know/don't know about themselves and how they might react to any given circumstances.

Even if you and others cannot, there are some of us who are able to that .

posted on Nov, 20 2015 @ 10:18 AM
link   
a reply to: ladyinwaiting

I disagree. When I was in the military and in Iraq. The ones who were sure of their decisions they'd make under stress were usually the first to fall down into a quivering sack on the floor. I'm sorry, but I refuse to believe that you'd know how you'd act when the chips are down unless you've actually been there before. It's just too extreme of a situation to be in from how we normally live to make that judgement call.

posted on Nov, 20 2015 @ 10:19 AM
link   

Is it an incorrect statement? Have you been in a situation such as that before? I am READY to admit that I lack perspective. I'm not afraid to admit it. That's why I keep saying that I don't know how I'd react in that situation.

posted on Nov, 20 2015 @ 10:25 AM
link   

I've been thinking about this during the course of the thread. If I had starving children, I would steal. I might try to rob a grocery store. I might try to trip someone on the way out to cause them to drop their groceries so I could steal them. I might beg.

If my kids were going to die TONIGHT without food, and I had a gun, I might shoot a person in the arm or the leg to cause them to run away so I could steal their food.

But Mass Murder is patently out of the question. Believe or don't Budweiser. It matters to me not.

posted on Nov, 20 2015 @ 10:29 AM
link   

You're talking under the assumption that daesh haven't just stormed your village with kalashnikovs pointed at your family.

Let that sink in and then reply please.

posted on Nov, 20 2015 @ 10:29 AM
link   

See. You have just told me that you are willing to go against your morals even slightly if given enough desperation. Now let's pretend your child has a very serious illness in addition to being hungry. ISIS holds the cure (or they say they do). What then? There are tons of terrible situations I can think of that would make you question your 1st world morals. Maybe you are right and mass murder is a line that you'd never cross, but then again you could be wrong. Life or death situations make people make impossible decisions. It's just how it is. It sucks.

The way I see it is that if I were in a situation like that I would hope I'd try to resist or flee instead of join, but if I was too weak and ended up joining hopefully I will account for my sins when the time comes. It's a depressing line of thought to consider, but I like to explore all angles not just the ones that leave me looking favorably.

posted on Nov, 20 2015 @ 10:30 AM
link   
NO. He's right. You are lacking perspective in your safe little bubble.

posted on Nov, 20 2015 @ 10:34 AM
link   
a reply to: Wide-Eyes

I never claimed to have a full understanding of the situation, ALL I said was that you can make your point without talking down to others or "shaming" them as some might say. we don't have to act like hyenas towards each other just because someone questions our statements. That's the point of forums, to talk to each other.

I place higher value on people who are always respectful versus people who are "always right". Peace

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join