It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My computer just burgled

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 20 2015 @ 03:44 AM
link   
I got a message from Goggle saying that there was access to my account that was suspicious.

I followed up the message and google shows that my computer (PC) was synced by a computer located on the other side of the country about 10 days ago.

My hard disc is partitioned with one part used as the C drive and the other part used for data storage.

Whats the chances of the the hacker gaining access to my data partition or can they only access whats on my C drive? (no data at all)

I run win 7 home edition.

thanks in advance.

posted on Nov, 20 2015 @ 04:05 AM
link   
a reply to: Azureblue

Are you sure it was Google sending you the message and not a scammer? Seems mighty strange to me that Google are monitoring your security so personally at this level.

Hope you have not given any personal information away to whoever sent you that message until you are absolutely positive it is Google.

The only messages I have ever received like that are from scammers and phishers.

If both your drives are accessible from your desktop then yes a hacker can go anywhere on your pc they want.

posted on Nov, 20 2015 @ 04:12 AM
link   

Why would Google send this? Definitely need to share more, could have been a phishing attempt.

posted on Nov, 20 2015 @ 04:14 AM
link   
I doubt Google would have sent you a message like this, its more than likely a scammer trying to steal your information.

Nowadays scammers use pop-ups and emails displaying proper business logo's and such which are pretty convincing and can easily trick people into thinking they are dealing with a legitimate threat to their system.Most of these scams require you to log in or download software from a link which then compromises your system. If for example you had to 'log in' to Google when you received the message you would have more than likely just given the scammer your email address and password.

My advice is to change the password on your Google account and any other account you use the same password for, then run a full malware/spyware scan on your system. Also, if you're using Chrome install the extensions 'Ad-Block' and 'Ad-Block Plus', both are completely free and will stop pop ups and even the annoying ads you get before watching some Youtube video's.
edit on 20/11/2015 by longy9999 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 20 2015 @ 04:27 AM
link   
They are probably uploading illegal content to stream it from your pc.

posted on Nov, 20 2015 @ 05:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: TsukiLunar
They are probably uploading illegal content to stream it from your pc.

Yeah, your computer is probably now a dark web server for criminals and perverts. It's probably double encrypted too, so even if you wipe it, it'll never go way.

There's no proof that you didn't set it up yourself. You could go to jail for a very long time. A very long time indeed mister.

posted on Nov, 20 2015 @ 05:06 AM
link   
i have had this message and deleted it,it is spy wear in my opinion ive had a few from paypal to asking me to log in .

my advice is if you get any mail like this delete it wait a bit and log in to said site directly and NOT from any links in
YOUR EMAIL...

posted on Nov, 20 2015 @ 05:21 AM
link   
With email its quite often a good idea to look at the headers as all sorts of goodies can be found in there, it could just be that your isp has allocated you a new ip address and the block was detailed for the east coast but they've had a tidy up and is now for west coast use and google won't know that so it seems strange and thus it flags it up

but anyway to be sure malware/antivirus sweeps and change the password - tip dont try 'GH16u^44' etc as its quite easy for a computer to brute force try things like 'OhLordyThisIsALongPassword' as it'll take a lot longer and the best thing is you can remember it quite easy

posted on Nov, 20 2015 @ 06:31 AM
link   

Dont sound like Google to me, more like some other nefarious person or bot attempting to gleam personal information from you. Simple solution and since you drive is already partitioned would be to reinstall windows just to be on the safe side. Also change all you passwords, not that they help much these days.
edit on 20-11-2015 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 20 2015 @ 06:33 AM
link   
If I remember correctly (it was a while back) I received the same message . Part of joining "the cloud" I would guess. Do research on the web on internet security , upping your defenses such as "stealthing ports" .
And one question, forgive me if it has already been answered.Are you new to google mail , etc ? This could be normal.

posted on Nov, 20 2015 @ 07:22 AM
link   

Yep... You've been had..... and you opened it.... Best of luck now....

posted on Nov, 20 2015 @ 08:26 AM
link   

Look closely at previous account history.
support.google.com...

posted on Nov, 20 2015 @ 09:57 AM
link   
a reply to: socketdude

You're mean.

posted on Nov, 21 2015 @ 01:40 AM
link   

The messsage came from google inform of a banner saying they supect there was unauthroised aaccess of my computer so changed the password.

In addition, there was graphic showing my computer and a link to the other computer in Queesnland.

My computer has been acting stragely for the last week or two. Never before have a seen my my details apepar in sall writing when I enter them in forms etc.

I cant seem to open a PDF document without it downloading now. Of greater concern is that every time I open the net the last website I visisted appears and it seems to roll back sometimes to the last page visisted.

Yesterday I uninstalled firefox using the IOBit uninstaller wich does a hunt around after using the programs installer and mopping up any leftovers, restated and then reinstalled again.

This has improved it a bit but I still get previous websites coming up.

I dunno he difference between being hacked and phissing so I cannot comment on that.

I use Malwarebyes, AVG, Superantispyware, Adaware and Adware plus CCleaner, nCleaner, Advanced system care and NOT one of these programs found anything at all.

Doesent say much for any of these programs does it?

posted on Nov, 21 2015 @ 01:59 AM
link   
Righto - playing around with "View your data and account activity in the Google Dashboard"

dunno how to upload pics but it goes like this

Orange filled black borded Rectangle - Date xxxx City Australia Nov? time xyz

Orange filled Rectanlge balck borded - Date xxxx city Australia Nov 15 xyz time

white filled rectanble with stop sign in it - Date Brisbane Australia Nov 12 2.51 PM red shield along sode that

Thanks for the help people.

posted on Nov, 21 2015 @ 05:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: Azureblue
Righto - playing around with "View your data and account activity in the Google Dashboard"

dunno how to upload pics but it goes like this

Orange filled black borded Rectangle - Date xxxx City Australia Nov? time xyz

Orange filled Rectanlge balck borded - Date xxxx city Australia Nov 15 xyz time

white filled rectanble with stop sign in it - Date Brisbane Australia Nov 12 2.51 PM red shield along sode that

Thanks for the help people.

Your account has been compromised, you should be able to end all of the activity from the dashboard and then change the password on the account, that will kick your Australian friend out and stop him from getting back in.

The reason you're not finding any spyware/malware is because most likely not any on your system, although I'm not sure how these people do it they can hack into your accounts without the need to have any nasty software on your system. Its always beneficial to make sure you have a virus/malware program that has real time protection built into it though, just to be safe. The premium version of Malwarebytes has this feature, if you've only got the free version let me know and I'll private message you my spare activation key (you get 3 keys when you buy it), I think its only got about 4 months left on it but will tide you over for now.

join