It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

E-3G makes combat debut

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 19 2015 @ 02:58 PM
link   
The first of the Block 40/45 E-3s operated by the Air Force has deployed to the Middle East for the first time since being upgraded.

The Block 40/45 upgrade took 12 years to develop and makes extensive changes to the aircraft. They achieved IOC in July of 2014 and have been developing tactics and doctrine at exercises like Red Flag since.

The Block 40/45 almost completely rebuilds the operator area using COTS systems, incorporates FAA ATC systems, new communications systems, datalinks and more.

www.globalsecurity.org...

So far nine aircraft of a planned 24 have been upgraded. Originally all 31 would be upgraded, but the Air Force wants to retire 7 aircraft and strip parts that are no longer produced off them.

The aircraft was scheduled to begin its deployment yesterday and is presumed to be flying C3i missions coordinating coalition strikes over Iraq and Syria.

www.flightglobal.com...

posted on Nov, 19 2015 @ 03:54 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

Wow, I didn't realize they hadn't been updated since the 70's

posted on Nov, 19 2015 @ 03:55 PM
link   
a reply to: Bfirez

They have been, but it's been incremental upgrades. New jammers and sensors, tweaks to the radar, etc. The computer hasn't been touched since then.

posted on Nov, 19 2015 @ 03:58 PM
link   

Amazing, if it aint broke dont fix it i guess.

posted on Nov, 19 2015 @ 04:02 PM
link   

Even the E767 borrowed tech from the E-3. It's arguable that it's still one of the best AEW&C platforms in the world, even before the Block 40 came online.

posted on Nov, 19 2015 @ 04:08 PM
link   

Really amazing stuff they pack on them bad boys. Does it have much in common with the E-8's? I remember after 9/11 learning about the "Doomsday Plane" flying overheard DC, it stuck me that if they put that puppy up in the air while everyone else was grounded it must be important.

posted on Nov, 19 2015 @ 04:17 PM
link   

Not radar wise, no. The E-3 CAN track ground targets, but the E-8 radar is designed almost exclusively to track ground targets.

If they can get their head out of their ass and get approval, the E-8 replacement will have a radar that will make your eyes water.

The E-4 is a fun one. You've never seen as many communications terminals as that beast has.

posted on Nov, 19 2015 @ 11:38 PM
link   

I wonder if one of these upgraded E-3's is what I saw coming in to land at Tulsa International here a few weeks ago. I thought it was just another passenger liner coming in to land until I noticed the giant radome on top of it. I took a pic of it with my phone, it was much to far away to see any details besides the radome though.

posted on Nov, 20 2015 @ 12:00 AM
link   
a reply to: stupidusernamehere

It could have been one on an acceptance flight, or possibly one going in for upgrades.

posted on Nov, 20 2015 @ 02:10 AM
link   

I don't speak airplane, could you explain what those acronyms mean?

I could look it up, but this is more fun. Unless someone comes along and mocks me...

posted on Nov, 20 2015 @ 03:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: stupidusernamehere

I wonder if one of these upgraded E-3's is what I saw coming in to land at Tulsa International here a few weeks ago. I thought it was just another passenger liner coming in to land until I noticed the giant radome on top of it. I took a pic of it with my phone, it was much to far away to see any details besides the radome though.

I used to buy Radomes and a supplier in the UK (Chelton Radomes - ex BAE SYSTEMS) had a jig and some spare (or scrap) made up from AWACS. I stood up against it, they are huge!
edit on 20 11 2015 by Forensick because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 20 2015 @ 05:29 AM
link   
a reply to: seagull

The Block is the upgrade. It signifies systems upgrades.

COTS is Commercial Off The Shelf, meaning they used existing equipment to upgrade, so when they replaced the radar operators display they used monitors that were on the market, keeping costs down.

IOC is Initial Operating Capability, meaning the minimum capability required to deploy.

ATC is Air Traffic Control. They incorporated some of the same technology used by the FAA to identify aircraft for air traffic control systems.

C3i is Command, Control, Communications, intelligence which is exactly what it sounds like. From the AWACS they can send out commands controlling large forces of aircraft, while communicating information and intelligence from the AWACS own systems.

posted on Nov, 20 2015 @ 05:31 AM
link   
a reply to: Forensick

Interestingly they also act as a lifting surface, so are essentially aerodynamically neutral in flight, despite being so huge.

posted on Nov, 25 2015 @ 11:20 PM
link   
Yeah buddy. Now we're talking.

posted on Nov, 25 2015 @ 11:42 PM
link   
a reply to: justwanttofly

The back end is just as nice.

top topics

join