It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Immigration Reverse! More Mexicans Are Leaving U.S. Than Coming In

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+7 more 
posted on Nov, 19 2015 @ 01:06 PM
link   
Immigration Reverse! More Mexicans Are Leaving U.S. Than Coming In

SAN DIEGO (AP) — More Mexicans are leaving the United States than migrating into the country, marking a reversal of one of the most significant immigration trends in U.S. history.

A study published Thursday by the Pew Research Center said a desire to reunite families is the primary reason Mexicans go home. A sluggish U.S. recovery from the Great Recession also contributed. Meanwhile, tougher border enforcement has deterred some Mexicans from coming to the United States.

Pew found that slightly more than 1 million Mexicans and their families, including American-born children, left the U.S. for Mexico from 2009 to 2014. During the same time, 870,000 Mexicans came to the U.S., resulting in a net flow to Mexico of 140,000.

A half-century of mass migration from Mexico is "at an end," said Mark Hugo Lopez, Pew's director of Hispanic research.

The finding follows a Pew study in 2012 that found net migration between the two countries was near zero, so this represents a turning point in one of the largest mass migrations in U.S. history. More than 16 million Mexicans moved to the United States from 1965 to 2015, more than from any other country.

Looks like the Republican Presidential rhetoric is wrong again. Apparently more people are leaving the US for Mexico than coming in. We can apparently lay this at the feet of no jobs here for them.

Still, it's this lack of jobs in the U.S. — not family ties — that is mostly motivating Mexicans to leave, said Dowell Myers, a public policy professor at the University of Southern California. Construction is a huge draw for young immigrants, but has yet to approach the levels of last decade's housing boom, he said.

"It's not like all of a sudden they decided they missed their mothers," Myers said. "The fact is, our recovery from the Great Recession has been miserable. It's been miserable for everyone."

Also, Mexico's population is aging, meaning there's less competition for young people looking for work there. That's a big change from the 1990s, when many people entering the workforce felt they had no choice but to migrate north of the border, Myers said.

While the U.S. economic recovery is sluggish, Mexico has been free in recent years from the economic tailspins that drove earlier generations north in the 1980s and 1990s. The peso is relatively stable, inflation is manageable, and while many parts of Mexico suffer grinding poverty and violence, others -- especially in the more industrial northern half -- have become thriving manufacturing centers under the North American Free Trade Agreement, producing cars, airplanes and other heavy equipment.

So there you have it. Looks like the illegal immigration "problem" is starting to fix itself. So can we drop all the silly talks about building walls and the like now?

+27 more 
posted on Nov, 19 2015 @ 01:14 PM
link   
Sounds like total malarkey.

How can anybody know a true number for "illegal" immigrants?

+5 more 
posted on Nov, 19 2015 @ 01:16 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

So in other words, it's not true because YOU don't want to believe it is true? You're gonna have to try better than that hun.

posted on Nov, 19 2015 @ 01:23 PM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

The Trump Wall: Keeping Mexicans Hostage Since 2016.

+14 more 
posted on Nov, 19 2015 @ 01:25 PM
link   

he has a point. There is no check in station where all illegals must sign in at.

But this is fantastic news! Now we can implement more border security and not have to listen to liberal whining!

It's a WIN-WIN!

posted on Nov, 19 2015 @ 01:26 PM
link   
a reply to: network dude

Wait, what we are doing now is more than enough to drive down the rate of immigration, yet we need to spend MORE money on immigration security? What? I though conservatives were for less government spending. ESPECIALLY when it isn't necessary.

+3 more 
posted on Nov, 19 2015 @ 01:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

Wait, what we are doing now is more than enough to drive down the rate of immigration, yet we need to spend MORE money on immigration security? What? I though conservatives were for less government spending. ESPECIALLY when it isn't necessary.

Don't you dare take this away from them. They are running out of things to be furious about.

posted on Nov, 19 2015 @ 01:31 PM
link   
Many Mexicans are in agriculture.

They can't get field workers anymore. Crops are rotting in the fields.

One farmer I know who had produce fields in both the US and Mexico. A couple years ago he moved his whole operation to Mexico.

It's easy to say: "Send everyone back to their own country" --- with no real thought of what it will mean.

Our manufacturing is gone. Soon our agriculture will be gone.

edit on 19-11-2015 by Annee because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 19 2015 @ 01:34 PM
link   
"dont work for me" lol racism is illogical, always.

+13 more 
posted on Nov, 19 2015 @ 01:34 PM
link   

Sorry, I tend to be a fan of securing our borders from anyone who wants to stroll in. We have these cool new things called "laws" that are supposed to assist immigrants in entering the country LEGALLY, so we don't have to worry about bad men sneaking in.

Do you have a lock on your house?

posted on Nov, 19 2015 @ 01:36 PM
link   
Obama's just making room for the Syrians (ok, I'm joking).

+8 more 
posted on Nov, 19 2015 @ 01:36 PM
link   

So in other words, it's not true because YOU don't want to believe it is true? You're gonna have to try better than that hun.

You are a mindreader all of a sudden?

The article is total BS

Just in time for the coming onslaught of M.E. "immigrants".

You fall for this?

posted on Nov, 19 2015 @ 01:40 PM
link   

I believe these statistics are accurate, and for the reasons stated. The most recent crisis was a huge wave of young people fleeing lawless Central American countries. These children are genuine refugees, as opposed to economic migrants. The Republicans continue to flog this particular dead horse because it is a popular issue among non-Hispanic working class voters, who would otherwise be hurt by Republican economic policies.

posted on Nov, 19 2015 @ 01:44 PM
link   

Wait, are you implying that we should keep our economy in the tank because that works to keep illegals out and start making them go home?

Increasing our border security is a safeguard against another influx of illegal immigration when things finally turn around--which, according to the media, was like three years ago or something.

posted on Nov, 19 2015 @ 01:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: UnBreakable
Obama's just making room for the Syrians (ok, I'm joking).

Well, start being syrious.

posted on Nov, 19 2015 @ 01:45 PM
link   

Our borders have been more secure under Obama than any previous President. He's shipped more illegals back than any before him. Yet none of that worked. Securing our borders is a silly conservative pipedream.

posted on Nov, 19 2015 @ 01:46 PM
link   
a reply to: SlapMonkey

Wait are you putting words in my mouth?

posted on Nov, 19 2015 @ 01:48 PM
link   

It's not BS. The article is just pointing-out what is found when the statistics are looked at.

Some people are going home and even though it's not popular to say among Right Wingers, more people are being stopped at the border before they can even get in.

I know that contradicts the narrative you push, but those are simply the facts.

posted on Nov, 19 2015 @ 01:48 PM
link   

Our borders have been more secure under Obama than any previous President. He's shipped more illegals back than any before him. Yet none of that worked. Securing our borders is a silly conservative pipedream.

I live on the border. I can personally attest to how much effort has been put into securing it these last few years.

Those complaining nothing is being done are spouting ignorant hot air.

edit on 19-11-2015 by Annee because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 19 2015 @ 01:52 PM
link   

Right tell me it is wrong. That is TOTALLY going to change my mind. Keep trying. You'll get there eventually

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join