It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ahead of Climate Summit, we are Half Way to Crucial 2 Degree Warming Mark

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 19 2015 @ 12:48 AM
link   
Source

-- the warmest October ever observed (in 136 years of NOAA records),
from noted source.

From where I sit, at 62 degrees, at night in Buffalo, in mid November, this seems even more real.

NASA and the NOAA show broken records. 7 out of 10 of the warmest months have occurred in 2015.

This is some serious climate change. I feel it and my wallet is heavier due to it. I can;t remember any year where I haven't turned on the furnace by now.
edit on 19-11-2015 by reldra because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 19 2015 @ 12:50 AM
link   
a reply to: reldra

7 out of 10 of the warmest months have occurred in 2015.

Eight. But who's counting?

The year-to-date temperature across global land and ocean surfaces was 1.55°F (0.86°C) above the 20th century average. This was the highest for January–October in the 1880–2015 record, surpassing the previous record set in 2014 by 0.22°F (0.12°C). Eight of the first ten months in 2015 have been record warm for their respective months.
www.ncdc.noaa.gov...

I feel it and my wallet is heavier due to it. I can;t remember any year where I haven't turned on the furnace by now.
I know, right. And oil is so damned cheap. Shame we can't burn more of it than we do.

edit on 11/19/2015 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 19 2015 @ 12:53 AM
link   
a reply to: Phage

Yes, 8. Thanks Phage.

I would rather burn less oil, you are correct.

Nice to see you in my thread.

posted on Nov, 19 2015 @ 01:00 AM
link   

It's really hard to convey the significance of this to people who are confused yet convinced that Al Gore and them commie scientists said "we're all supposed to be underwater by now".

But since you mentioned your furnace - to those people who really don't think 1 degree is a big deal - I always like to point out: think about how much energy is required to heat your house an extra degree (Celsius). Now think about how much energy it would take to make the whole planet do that.

posted on Nov, 19 2015 @ 01:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: mc_squared

It's really hard to convey the significance of this to people who are confused yet convinced that Al Gore and them commie scientists said "we're all supposed to be underwater by now".

But since you mentioned your furnace - to those people who really don't think 1 degree is a big deal - I always like to point out: think about how much energy is required to heat your house an extra degree (Celsius). Now think about how much energy it would take to make the whole planet do that.

It does take a significant amount of energy. You are right.

On that comic side, I am not sure Gore said we would all be underwater by now, but I am sure some owners of property on the coast have felt it. I have seen pictures.

I am glad to see others see this too

posted on Nov, 19 2015 @ 01:06 AM
link   

Paris. We'll see.

(Paris *sigh*)

posted on Nov, 19 2015 @ 01:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: Phage

Paris. We'll see.

(Paris *sigh*)

I know. (sigh).

posted on Nov, 19 2015 @ 01:22 AM
link   

Its an El Nino year and temperature is rising!!!!!

Well thats it, I am convinced.

We are not in an interglacial period, the earth has not been warming for thousands of years, glaciers haven't been melting for thousands of years and sea levels have not fluctuated for thousands of years. The only significant years are the last hundred years (or 30) and the only crime in anthopegenic activities.

The earth is doomed unless we all agree to pay 100 billion dollars per year, every year starting in 2020 to less developed countries.

The earth and the sun will surely take note of our generosity and start cooling immediately, thereby saving us all from death by heat stroke or drowning from sea levels rising every year by 3.5 mm.

Yes, Paris (sigh).

Tired of Control Freaks

posted on Nov, 19 2015 @ 01:28 AM
link   
a reply to: TiredofControlFreaks

Higher than ever recorded. Yes. It is a peak...in a trend.

the earth has not been warming for thousands of years
Correct.

glaciers haven't been melting for thousands of years
Not as consistantly or rapidly as they have been lately.

sea levels have not fluctuated for thousands of years.
Who said that. The thing is, when combined with the trend in temperatures. It says something to those with half a brain and bother to take the time to understand the physics.

The earth is doomed unless we all agree to pay 100 billion dollars per year, every year starting in 2020 to less developed countries.
No. The Earth will do just fine, it's us humans who are going to have the problems. But paying less developed countries money won't really accomplish much of anything as far as global warming goes.

thereby saving us all from death by heat stroke or drowning from sea levels rising every year by 3.5 mm.
No. Not so much heat stroke and not so much drowning. But those 3.5mm add up and the rate is increasing. See, sea water and drinking water don't get along too well. Sea water and agriculture don't get along too well.

posted on Nov, 19 2015 @ 01:35 AM
link   
You will never convince me....sorry.

posted on Nov, 19 2015 @ 01:36 AM
link   

If it is so warm then we won't have to burn fuel to heat our homes which means less greenhouse gases which means this pattern will end up correcting itself! Problem solved!

posted on Nov, 19 2015 @ 01:38 AM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus
No. Not solved. But if your hypothesis is correct, it won't hurt.
Because, you see, we don't just burn fossil fuels to heat our homes. And a good number of people don't heat their homes at all.

posted on Nov, 19 2015 @ 01:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus

If it is so warm then we won't have to burn fuel to heat our homes which means less greenhouse gases which means this pattern will end up correcting itself! Problem solved!

You are trying to be funny, but you know it's not funny.

posted on Nov, 19 2015 @ 01:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: bellagirl
You will never convince me....sorry.

You, personally, don't need to be convinced. It is happening and your children and grand children and great grand children will live the consequences.

posted on Nov, 19 2015 @ 01:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: TiredofControlFreaks

Well thats it, I am convinced.

We are not in an interglacial period, the earth has not been warming for thousands of years, glaciers haven't been melting for thousands of years and sea levels have not fluctuated for thousands of years. The only significant years are the last hundred years (or 30) and the only crime in anthopegenic activities.

The earth and the sun will surely take note of our generosity and start cooling immediately, thereby saving us all from death by heat stroke or drowning from sea levels rising every year by 3.5 mm.

Yes, Paris (sigh).

Tired of Control Freaks

You need to research this for yourself. I gave the source. I am not sure what I am trying to control you, personally, in.
Part of your answer was just weird that you copied it.

posted on Nov, 19 2015 @ 01:54 AM
link   
a reply to: Phage

Its a trend - that developed over the last 180 years (kind of meaningless when put in context)

Phage, you may trust the scientists and the scientists may or may not be correct (come on now, science has been wrong before and will be wrong again)

But it is quite clear that the PTB aren't buying it. They talk the talk but they don't walk the walk! The proposals on the table and currently in play, do nothing, absolutely freaking NOTHING, to address the problem.

Tired of Control Freaks

posted on Nov, 19 2015 @ 01:57 AM
link   
a reply to: TiredofControlFreaks

Its a trend - that developed over the last 180 years (kind of meaningless when put in context)
Yeah. Oh wait, when did the industrial revolution start?

Phage, you may trust the scientists and the scientists may or may not be correct (come on now, science has been wrong before and will be wrong again)
Trust? Not so much. Making the effort to understand the science instead of just saying "nope?" Yep.

The proposals on the table and currently in play, do nothing, absolutely freaking NOTHING, to address the problem.
According to you there is no problem but...really?
www2.epa.gov...

posted on Nov, 19 2015 @ 02:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: mc_squared

The 1 degree is a big deal, because it's Celsius (bigger numbers) and it includes the 70% of the planet which is water. The effect on land, and on temperate regions where many humans live is larger, and what really matters---effect on extreme weather, is larger still.

This sub-board is misnamed. It's called "Fragile Earth". Earth's fine. We're in deep #. It should be called "Fragile Human Civilization".
edit on 19-11-2015 by mbkennel because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 19 2015 @ 02:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: Phage
This was the highest for January–October in the 1880–2015 record

Remind me... how old is the Earth and her climate ?

1880 - 2015 is such a small range to use for statistical analysis in the grand scheme of things when we're talking billions of years of the climate changing naturally. Not saying we don't contribute to the problem but from a statistics perspective it's not a good way to go about things as the sample size is just to small to base assumptions off, even a few hundred thousand years worth of data would be a tiny data set against billions of years

posted on Nov, 19 2015 @ 02:28 AM
link   
a reply to: Discotech

Remind me... how old is the Earth and her climate ?

4.6 billion years or so.

1880 - 2015 is such a small range to use for statistical analysis in the grand scheme of things when we're talking billions of years of the climate changing naturally.
Right. But we are not talking about statistical analysis. We are talking about physics. Specifically the physics of radiative forcing and the effects of anthropogenic CO2 upon it. That is not an assumption.

even a few hundred thousand years worth of data would be a tiny data set against billions of years
Yes. The thing is, what happened billions of years ago doesn't really have much to do with what's happening today. The Sun was cooler billions of years ago. The atmosphere was very different billions of years ago.

The thing is, we have the ability to determine what could be causing things to warm up and guess what? Rising CO2 levels are at the top of the list. And guess what's causing CO2 levels to rise?
www.abovetopsecret.com...

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join