It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Global Temperatures Skyrocketing (Again)

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 19 2015 @ 09:41 AM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

This is all a very misleading headline - Records broken yada yada yada - all compared to WHAT!

Now lets look just a little further back than just the last 30 years

www2.ucar.edu...

As you can see from the graph, global temperatures were actually cooling until the 1940s. It cooled so much that with a level of uncertainty, the global temperature dropped to just about 0.65 degrees C. Then the warming starts and it is currently sitting at about 0.86 degrees. It would appear that this is all within the normal range of variability in global temperatures.

This is hardly "skyrocketing" or "smashing records" . that is why these articles are propaganda! Just rhetoric. A difference of a 10 of a degree or 5 mm of sea level is hardly reason to destroy civilization or pay blood money to developing countries.

Tired of Control Freaks

posted on Nov, 19 2015 @ 09:51 AM
link   
a reply to: TiredofControlFreaks

Your link isn't saying what you think it is saying. Of course you know this. We've had conversations like this before. You just see what you want to see in the data. Never mind that both the graph from your link and my sources are from the NOAA or anything. I mean this paragraph is IN your source:

There are slight differences in global records between groups at NCDC, NASA, and the University of East Anglia. Each group calculates global temperature year by year, using slightly different techniques. However, analyses from all three groups point to the decade between 2000 and 2009 as the hottest since modern records began more than a century ago. Temperatures in the 2010s have been running slightly warmer still.

It's like you always have blinders on to the inconvenient parts of the sources you link.

posted on Nov, 19 2015 @ 11:51 AM
link   
Oh my god the sky is falling agggghhhh! Move closer inland already and stop worrying about things you cant control.

posted on Nov, 19 2015 @ 12:55 PM
link   
I think we know where the anti-science crowd will take this in the years ahead. Since we are experiencing a strong el niño and record global average temperatures, the next couple of years will likely not be as warm and the usual suspects will proclaim the warming has ceased or even we are now going through a cooling phase.

In another decade or two when we have another strong el niño, it will be obvious that we are indeed seeing a warming trend. That does not matter, what matters is if there is some data points they can cherry-pick that supports their beliefs they will run with it and ignore all pertinent information that does not support their biased belief system.

posted on Nov, 19 2015 @ 12:57 PM
link   
Spend some time in the Maldives or the Florida Keys and you will see that sea level rise is apparently a problem we are already facing today.

posted on Nov, 19 2015 @ 01:54 PM
link   
Well, it says in the bible and also in the Ruins that the next destruction of the earth will be by heat.

But how did they know long ago that we would be going to cause global warming?

We just need to take better care of our biosystem, we need to quit exploiting the plants that bring the carbon back into the soil and quit all the waste created by consumerism. No other species on this earth causes as much damage to the environment globally as humans do. No other species makes nuclear bombs that can destroy the ability of the earth to provide for it's inhabitants.

I think us humans may all be insane. It is nice to know I am not alone.

posted on Nov, 19 2015 @ 01:56 PM
link   

Good Reply - totally missed everything I said. If you look at the link and examine the temperatures in the 1880s up to 1940s

Tired of Control Freaks

posted on Nov, 19 2015 @ 02:01 PM
link   
a reply to: jrod

The Maldives are the lowest points of land on earth, Florida is built on very porous limestone.

Sea levels were rising at the rate of 0.27 mm / years. Now they are rising at 0.35 per year .. In 10 years the difference is between 270 mm and 350 mm . That is a difference of 3 inches. At 0.27 mm, it would have have caught up to the present level in 3 years....but it would be happening anyway

Give it a rest!

Tired of Control Freaks

posted on Nov, 19 2015 @ 02:02 PM
link   

And you totally missed the point that the information you provided isn't saying the narrative you are spinning. It agrees with me. But hey that's cool. I've grown to expect such things from you.

posted on Nov, 19 2015 @ 02:05 PM
link   
I'm not exactly sure you examined the link you provided, at least that is what I can gather from your posts.

What is your issue with the widely accepted( in the scientific community) science of AGW?

posted on Nov, 19 2015 @ 02:32 PM
link   
I'm currently in the Florida Keys. Throughout the month of October there were many coastal flood advisories issued, some in fair weather with a new or full moon.

Pretty much all the long term residents here believe the unprecedented(a yearly occurrence now, didnt happpen 20 years ago) is evidence if a rising ocean.

At high tide we had water coming out if storm drains and flooding streets, this used to only happen with a tropical storm, now it happens every fall with spring tides.

PS, sea level rise is not uniform across the planet!
You need to go outside and observe what is going on with this planet!

edit on 19-11-2015 by jrod because: ps

edit on 19-11-2015 by jrod because: fix

posted on Nov, 19 2015 @ 02:36 PM
link   
Hot enough for you?

Oh, well, assuming the data is correct, I'm not all that concerned. If you look back at previous periods of elevated temperatures, those are the periods where humanity saw the most growth and development. We generally don't do as well in cooler weather. Adding more liquid water into the biosphere and unthawing some tundra for agriculture might be a good thing, at least in the short term.

Of course, the obvious solution is having fewer people around to have less impact on the environment and more available resources per person. We can either take care of that ourselves, or have Mother Nature do it.

posted on Nov, 19 2015 @ 02:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: network dude
a reply to: mc_squared

So when we have a cooler than average month, will that signal a pause in warming? Will we be able to post threads claiming that warming has been slowed?

Tell you what - if we have a cooler than average month you are free to gloat, because per NOAA’s data we haven’t seen that since Feb 1985. That’s 368 consecutive months above average for those counting (and there have been plenty of La Ninas in that time).

But this thread isn’t just about warmer than average temperatures, or even mere record setting temperatures – it’s about records that are obliterating previous records.

We saw this sort of acceleration during the last El Nino, then temperatures regressed a bit (but continued rising, only not as fast) all through the last decade. This prompted all the knee-jerk naysayers to proclaim global warming had somehow stopped. We’ve seen endless debates around here about this over the years, with people constantly having to remind the knee-jerk crowd they were cherry picking. Now at least we have a dataset bookended by two strong El Ninos so we can compare more apples to apples, and as shown: old records are being obliterated.

But the moment there’s some cold snap in Washington I’m sure James Inhofe will be back throwing snowballs around the Senate as his proof that it’s all bunk.

Fact is you don’t have to be a genius to understand this stuff – you just have to be honest enough to put the politics down and look at it objectively. The underlying long term trend, through all the El Ninos, La Ninas, Senor and Senorita ENSO Neutrals, ATS pissing contests and other noise, is quite clear, as it always has been. It’s getting warmer, right in step with the models and scientific predictions made as far back as the 1800s.

Exactly how much of it is man made is a matter for the experts, but at the same time anyone who denies there is a man made component here is basically a remedial science denier. We all get taught in grade school about the Greenhouse Effect. Nobody seems to question how it makes Venus much hotter than it should be. But when it’s used to criticize those fossil fuels that Republicans love so much, suddenly it’s “controversial” or “a religion”. It’s still the same basic science it's always been since the 19th century.

posted on Nov, 19 2015 @ 02:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: mc_squared
Tell you what - if we have a cooler than average month you are free to gloat, because per NOAA’s data we haven’t seen that since Feb 1985. That’s 368 consecutive months above average for those counting (and there have been plenty of La Ninas in that time).

February 1985? That's the month I was born! It all makes sense my hotness is warming the planet!

posted on Nov, 19 2015 @ 02:44 PM
link   
a reply to: jrod

Funny thing about the Maldives....

news.nationalgeographic.com...

Not necessarily, according to a growing body of evidence amassed by New Zealand coastal geomorphologist Paul Kench, of the University of Auckland's School of Environment, and colleagues in Australia and Fiji, who have been studying how reef islands in the Pacific and Indian Oceans respond to rising sea levels.

Their analysis, which now extends to more than 600 coral reef islands in the Pacific and Indian Oceans, indicates that about 80 percent of the islands have remained stable or increased in size (roughly 40 percent in each category). Only 20 percent have shown the net reduction that's widely assumed to be a typical island's fate when sea level rises.

Some islands grew by as much as 14 acres (5.6 hectares) in a single decade, and Tuvalu's main atoll, Funafuti—33 islands distributed around the rim of a large lagoon—has gained 75 acres (32 hectares) of land during the past 115 years.

This article was published in National Geographic in February 2015

Tired of Controlf Freaks

posted on Nov, 19 2015 @ 02:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: texasyeti
Oh my god the sky is falling agggghhhh! Move closer inland already and stop worrying about things you cant control.

Man I wish I could be as cool and collected as you. I'm so panicked and terrified of the global warmings right now I'm typing this from inside my refrigerator. Guys I can see my breath lol!

I hope to one day be as calm and cool as some of the members really like to show off around here. Obviously people like you are just thinking for yourselves and not influenced by any of the scripted propaganda like us little chickens.

(the above message of sanity sponsored by Western Fuels Association, who came up with this sobering campaign to target older, less educated males...who are not active information seekers)

posted on Nov, 19 2015 @ 02:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

originally posted by: mc_squared

February 1985? That's the month I was born! It all makes sense my hotness is warming the planet!

Lol I hope you licked your finger and then touched your thigh and went "tsssssssssss" when you said that

posted on Nov, 19 2015 @ 03:05 PM
link   
a reply to: mc_squared

Hoax bin this. They're predicting 4-7" of snow in the Chicago area Saturday. Climate Change/Global Warning, etc., proven false, once and for all. YOUR ALL DUM!

Sorry, just had to try on shutting down my logic circuits to see how it felt. Frankly, I don't understand the allure. Maybe you have to somehow truly believe it instead of just acting as if you think weather in a localized area across a few days is equal to measurements over time across the entire planet.

TBH, I don't much care why temperature patterns, etc are changing at this point. I'm more interested in the "how are we going to cope?" questions.

posted on Nov, 19 2015 @ 03:08 PM
link   
Okay I'm confused.

Is this thread about El Nino ?

Or is this thread about anthropogenic global warming ?

Or is this thread trying to say that El Nino is the result of AGW ?

Could somebody please clarify...

Thank you.

posted on Nov, 19 2015 @ 03:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: CranialSponge
Okay I'm confused.

Is this thread about El Nino ?

Or is this thread about anthropogenic global warming ?

Or is this thread trying to say that El Nino is the result of AGW ?

Could somebody please clarify...

Thank you.

How about this? This El Nino is considered to be the most powerful and stongest ever. A higher Average Temperature is considered to make El Ninos stronger. We're always arguing about weather a warmer Globe is mans doing or not.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join