It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Homelessness

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 18 2015 @ 08:20 PM
link   
Is there anything we can do about chronic homelessness? It just seems like a futile effort. I'm not talking about the chick who is running from her thug boyfriend and had to sleep in the car or shelter a few nights. I'm talking about your straight up bum living under a bridge who hasn't bathed in like 2 months. Or the homeless drug addict searching for his next hit.

The evil and logical conservative in me says that the vast majority are drug addicts and mental cases. As a result, there is nothing society can do to fix the situation unless we are willing to trample on their individual rights. There is nothing we can do to help a meth head while they are hooked on meth. However, unless said meth head is willing to commit himself to rehab, what can we do? We just can't pull them off the street without their consent. If someone is a mental case, no amount of social services is going to keep them off the street. So again, is society willing to just throw these people in the loony hospital against their will?

I've literally seen the same drugged out bums for the past 10 years at one corner. Heroin addicts. Meth Heads. Crackheads.

The liberal in me feels sorry for them. Every now and then I'll buy a combo meal for a bum. I never give money.

Really curious as to what solutions there might be?

posted on Nov, 18 2015 @ 08:27 PM
link   

There is nothing we can do to help a meth head while they are hooked on meth.

That's the problem. Our society has been so tuned to "prison!" That we seem to have forgotten how to actually help. The billions spent on private prisons in this country make Iran look like a sanctuary country at times....

We can help, it all comes down to a promise made by the prison industrial complex: "you pay us tax money, bad guys won't live amongst you". And whether it's something in this arena or something like the Patriot Act, we seem to be "me me me! Keep me safe!" Instead of coming up with logical solutions to problems.

But as for the rest, I wish I had a few line solution, but I don't. I have dear friends who are vagrants, "travelers" as they like to say, who can't be "fixed". They love their lives. But the drug comment is where draw the line. There's no such thing as "can't be fixed". I can say that from the bottom of my heart and soul.

a reply to: Edumakated

edit on 18-11-2015 by DuckforcoveR because: (no reason given)

edit on 18-11-2015 by DuckforcoveR because: spelling

posted on Nov, 18 2015 @ 08:31 PM
link   

The evil conservative in me says that the vast majority are drug addicts and mental cases.

It's no surprise that you assume with that part of your brain.

Facts would fry your neurological transmitters otherwise.

posted on Nov, 18 2015 @ 08:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: CharlieSpeirs

The evil conservative in me says that the vast majority are drug addicts and mental cases.

It's no surprise that you assume with that part of your brain.

Facts would fry your neurological transmitters otherwise.

Feel free to prove me wrong...

posted on Nov, 18 2015 @ 08:41 PM
link   
I don't see how well facts play into this thread. Again, every single person (on drugs or sober btw) is in this position for a different reason. There is no "magic declaration" that can cure a problem that isn't contagious, isn't uniform, and isn't a part of one side of the political spectrum or the other.

So only liberals care about homeless people? And only conservatives feel otherwise (you know, the notorious pro life wing?)

Just curious

posted on Nov, 18 2015 @ 08:48 PM
link   

I'm not in the habit of proving other people's presumptuous claims correct or incorrect...

That's the claimants job.

posted on Nov, 18 2015 @ 08:49 PM
link   
Some cities have had some success with building extremely low-cost housing for the homeless, not much more than a cabin with a bathroom, which covers the basic shelter amenities. This is actually less costly than providing endless "services" under trying conditions and is a big step up from tent cities. I can't recall which cities have done this, but I can see the pictures of the cabins. Anybody recollect?

posted on Nov, 18 2015 @ 08:56 PM
link   
I remember reading that as well. I couldn't remember where but I found an example:

Shelters

Unorthodox indeed, but considering the OP is even asking the question we can assume the norm just isn't cutting it.

a reply to: schuyler

posted on Nov, 18 2015 @ 09:01 PM
link   
a reply to: CharlieSpeirs

Here's a hard fact of science: It's a self correcting problem. You let each individual hit rock bottom on their own volition, and then you let them choose whether to fight for their own life and turn things around, or if they choose not to fight it is their own choice. You cannot force someone to want a better life so much that they'll change their own life to get there, so why should that time, effort, and money even be wasted trying to force it?

posted on Nov, 18 2015 @ 09:04 PM
link   

Every now and then I'll buy a combo meal for a bum. I never give money.

Really curious as to what solutions there might be?

What you just did. You can't fix it, every one is on their own path in life. We are all from here, planet earth is our home. "Homeless" is a media stigma, a derogatory term used to keep people thinking of them as less than.

Giving them something like a meal, flashlight, poncho, gloves, cap, etc. is what they need, not our advice or solution. They are exactly where they are supposed to be, right now.

Your solution is a kind gesture, directed not at solving their problems but at making their day just that little bit easier.

Lifes difficult enough. Lend a hand once in a while. Whats that set you back?

posted on Nov, 18 2015 @ 09:08 PM
link   
a reply to: DuckforcoveR

Shelters suck. You have to line up early in the day to get a cot, it costs money, others will rifle your stuff, grab at you, you get athletes foot from the showers, the food sucks, and they throw you out at dawn.

Give me a sun warmed overpass to sleep up under.

posted on Nov, 18 2015 @ 09:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6
a reply to: CharlieSpeirs

Here's a hard fact of science: It's a self correcting problem. You let each individual hit rock bottom on their own volition, and then you let them choose whether to fight for their own life and turn things around, or if they choose not to fight it is their own choice. You cannot force someone to want a better life so much that they'll change their own life to get there, so why should that time, effort, and money even be wasted trying to force it?

You are honestly willing to claim on a public forum, that people that suffer from addiction, which is defined as a medical condition, should die?

posted on Nov, 18 2015 @ 09:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr

Shelters suck. You have to line up early in the day to get a cot, it costs money, others will rifle your stuff, grab at you, you get athletes foot from the showers, the food sucks, and they throw you out at dawn.

I have fortunately never been in the position to have to choose, but give me the woods and a campfire.

posted on Nov, 18 2015 @ 09:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: BubbaJoe

I have fortunately never been in the position to have to choose, but give me the woods and a campfire.

Oh yah, most definitely. If you can escape the urban sprawling megalopolis, that is.

In town, a park with a BBQ pit will suffice. A burger, some refreshment, a picnic bench or lawn to stretch out on in the sun. And a good book.

zzz…

posted on Nov, 18 2015 @ 09:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: BubbaJoe

Oh yah, most definitely. If you can escape the urban sprawling megalopolis, that is.

In town, a park with a BBQ pit will suffice. A burger, some refreshment, a picnic bench or lawn to stretch out on in the sun. And a good book.

zzz…

I am right there with ya

posted on Nov, 18 2015 @ 09:32 PM
link   

edit on 18/11/2015 by TVeducated because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 18 2015 @ 09:35 PM
link   
I lived a few years as street rat. Hated shelters and avoided them.
It is nice to have a warm, dry, quiet place to stay.
I always managed to find sufficient food and beer. Nature always provided and I am thankful.

posted on Nov, 18 2015 @ 09:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: skunkape23
I lived a few years as street rat. Hated shelters and avoided them.
It is nice to have a warm, dry, quiet place to stay.
I always managed to find sufficient food and beer. Nature always provided and I am thankful.

I have no problem with your choices, and thankful that you have always found your way. There are others that need help, and I wish we had the resources to assist them.

posted on Nov, 18 2015 @ 09:41 PM
link   
a reply to: skunkape23

I Love you.

"I don't walk past and 'Invisibly 'spit' on the Homeless'

I smile.

I say hello.

"Not much change Today"

"You can have My kiss"

Above Tolerating Stupidity (ATS)

posted on Nov, 18 2015 @ 09:53 PM
link   
I am homeless although I am getting help from the VA within a year hopefully with housing and I am SSI pending. Paying a universal income would be the best solution along with more affordable housing.

<<   2 >>

join