It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A useful guide to turbans

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 18 2015 @ 01:38 PM
link   
Considering the icon for the terrorism forum is that of a bearded man wearing a turban, the following link may be useful. It will help to identify the many different types of turban and their association.

As the article state, the majority of turban wearers are of Indian Sikh religion, so perhaps this icon is an example of the very kind of ignorance and religious stereotyping that we should be trying to discourage? Also consider how many recent attacks have been carried out by those wearing turbans.

www.dailymail.co.uk...

edit on 18-11-2015 by Ectospasm because: spelling

edit on 18-11-2015 by Ectospasm because: removed innapropriate link

posted on Nov, 18 2015 @ 01:40 PM
link   
a reply to: Ectospasm

Yeah that icon is based on the "fake" osama that they kept dragging out.
They didn't do enough research so he just didn't make sense.
But, served the purpose.

posted on Nov, 18 2015 @ 01:40 PM
link   

Interesting theory but didn't the nut job brothers in Boston wear baseball caps?

posted on Nov, 18 2015 @ 01:42 PM
link   

I don't think I could pull off a Turban Pity I like them oh well may as well go for the ninja t shirt mask instead.

Cheers for the OP I have learnt something today
edit on 18-11-2015 by boymonkey74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 18 2015 @ 02:00 PM
link   
One of my co-workers has a turban to match each of his uniforms. I used to look forward to seeing what he was wearing each day.

He was indeed a colorful character, both inside and out, and we shared the same warped sense of humor, that left of the other scratching their heads, as we guffawed.

posted on Nov, 18 2015 @ 02:08 PM
link   
What should the Terrorism forum icon be?

posted on Nov, 18 2015 @ 02:14 PM
link   
I think you might be trying too hard.

Osama bin Laden is synonymous with the War On Terrorism.

Osama bin Laden

Even in his own video's he looked like that.

I'm more concerned about that site you linked to? That's click bait to sell real bigots shirts to wear. I'm sorry I added to their click count. Disgusting site.

posted on Nov, 18 2015 @ 02:15 PM
link   
Anyone who targets a man for wearing a turban is a special kind of stupid.

As the article points out, Sikhs wear them too. I associate turbans with Sikhs, not Muslims here where I live, because that is what 99% of people wearing them are.

The Muslim men on the other hand, including a lot of Afghan people tend to wear the fancy white patterened hats. Probably so they can be distinguished from Sikhs.

This thread is a little bit dangerous and that link is too.

Remember people, you can't tell a terrorist by the clothes they wear. There are good people within the Islamic faith too so while I am one of the vocal people calling for action to stop the acts of terror that Islamic radicals are committing, I think it is also essential we use our brains and don't start vigilante style action targeting any person we think is a Muslim terrorist.

That sort of action only turns more Muslims into radicals and makes the problem grow.

posted on Nov, 18 2015 @ 02:17 PM
link   
It would be unfortunate for people to mistake Islamic fundamentalist nut jobs for Sikhs as Sikhs as a people
are for the most part good honourable and hard working people with a long and distinguished history
as warriors and have a do serve with distinction in a number of NATO forces

and the few i have known have all been fine people.

posted on Nov, 18 2015 @ 03:04 PM
link   
a reply to: ShayneJUK

www.cbc.ca...

A Cdn Sikh man was photoshopped as a Islamic terrorist and used in some newspaper articles. The papers retracted the articles, but the damage is likely done. That photoshopped pic is out there now

posted on Nov, 18 2015 @ 03:06 PM
link   
I didnt really read the site properly, I was just looking for a link to an article about turbans.

posted on Nov, 18 2015 @ 03:11 PM
link   
I have removed the original link and replaced it with a more uplifting story about Sikh turbans, my apologies.

posted on Nov, 18 2015 @ 03:16 PM
link   
Those Sikhs have looooong turbans!!!

posted on Nov, 18 2015 @ 03:22 PM
link   
Ignorant thread.. lol

But why not laugh anyway ?

posted on Nov, 18 2015 @ 05:27 PM
link   
a reply to: Avicenne

Yeah, it was meant to be quite serious, I was trying to convey the idea that thinking of terrorists as turban wearing individuals is a false stereotype by pointing out that the majority of people wearing turbans are in fact Sikhs. But the thread just went wrong.

posted on Nov, 18 2015 @ 05:41 PM
link   

I think what threw the idea of your thread off was your suggestion that the icon of Osama bin Laden for the War On Terrorism forum was somehow wrong.

As the article state, the majority of turban wearers are of Indian Sikh religion, so perhaps this icon is an example of the very kind of ignorance and religious stereotyping that we should be trying to discourage?

Since that icon shows bin Laden in what he wore in many of his photos and video's, it makes no sense. There is no "ignorance" or "religious stereotyping" represented by that icon.

As well informed as most are here on ATS, it's highly unlikely nearly everyone here would make the mistake of confusing a Sikh with someone in Afghan garb.

I'm sure there exists people who would make that mistake. Even that is not necessarily proof they are bigoted, but rather illiterate. I don't think it's a huge issue and there is not much to discuss.

posted on Nov, 18 2015 @ 05:45 PM
link   
well clothes are just clothes. ever heard of the term "a wolf in sheeps clothing?"
it seems like to me a lot of individuals with ulterior motives try more to blend in then anything.

posted on Nov, 18 2015 @ 05:45 PM
link   
Thonking on I now have a wonderful mustache which will suit a turban.
A temple is around the corner from me I will pop in and ask them...very decent people Sikhs.
I could get one with a jewel and a feather on.
I will look dapper.
edit on 18-11-2015 by boymonkey74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 18 2015 @ 05:55 PM
link   
a reply to: boymonkey74

Dude, I'm so #en gonna be a ninja tonight and scare the # out of my girl thank you for this!

posted on Nov, 18 2015 @ 06:11 PM
link   
a reply to: Blaine91555

After reading about these t-shirts i just had to see for myself.
But for some reason i dont see a single ad for t shirts on that site.
Maybe its your search history adjusting the visible ads on sites you visit?
Recently all i see is drone ads. Maybe thats it?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join