It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Alaska state trooper, Corrections, firefighter, or oilfield?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 18 2015 @ 04:35 AM
link   
Probably leaving my dead end Job very soon. It's wearing on my soul, I know I'm not tapping
Into my full potential. My family deserves a much healthier paycheck.

The position listed in my title are my most feasible logical and a available options.

I'm not a fan of militarized law enforcement of today, but I love the Idea of protecting and serving innocent people, and cracking down on those who ACTUALLY deserve it. Trooper is my personal 1st choice. Though I'm no looking for an easy in, and won't recieve special treatment anyway, but I'm proud to claim my uncle is the captain of the Alaska State Troopers. Makes me proud.

My second choice is corrections officer. My dad started right about at my current age, he is now the warden. What a hardcore dude my pops, hilarious and awesome at times, but damn serious and no nonsense when it comes to much of anything.

Firefighter cause I love the idea of Saving people. I keep hearing their pay is less than it should be. I'd still gladly
Give it a try.

Oilfield, because my entire step family is fully Integrated. Jobs are plentiful. I'm just not feeling it. If I pursue that route it will only be for that huge pay check these boys bring home. My girl would have all the clothes she wants and my boy would get whatever he wants.

I suppose a fourth option which I should consider (except I think the Good Friday EQ is tossing and turning and may wake up a bit upset) Is to get back on the Alaska railroad, Ieft on good terms. There's a ridiculous amount of money to be made there, hmmmmmmmm

I've always been very anti material, but now, knocking on thirty I want mad money and retirement, and I want that cause I'm happy when my family is happy. So it's time to make a move.

I'm fit for all these jobs, in fact I'm going to ride boards till my body gives out and compete in MMA until my jaw gets glassy, IF I should say. I have confidence I will perform excellent in the cage and perhaps grappling tournaments for quite some time now. Then I get to watch my son develop amazing talents I know he has locked within.

If he is half as good as his daddy at anything, he's basically superhuman (joke) that can be a dark curse or a gift, all depends on how one channels these energies.

Anyway ill end that rant. Purpose of OP/thread.

I would love suggestions on which one some think I should pursue and why.

Maybe what you, dear reader would choose, and why?

Hopefully some advice as well!

All comments are welcome, On topic or no, I'm pretty easy going

posted on Nov, 18 2015 @ 04:49 AM
link   
I know there are several grammar issues within. I'm so dreaming tired I can barely complete a word.......got work in the morning so I'm not gonna stress on he minor edits. Just know I'm aware of then all. Jk probably only most.

Good night all.

Hoping to wake to some feedback

posted on Nov, 18 2015 @ 04:54 AM
link   
Any of what you mentioned seems promising in it's own ways. Mentioning Alaska, while no expert on the subject of work there, but know a bit about it from in-laws and friends. Fishing maybe? You don't have to work on the boats if that would be an issue but possibly processing instead. I know some who work half the year or so, rent there and return to their normal residence. Best of luck.

posted on Nov, 18 2015 @ 05:01 AM
link   
Had to delete as the exact grouping of words was posted twice identically yet unintentional, thus creating an unnecessary duplicate version of its original self.

(My sleep deprived way of trying to be silly and not just write "
double post or whatever).

.......yep I need sleep. I think ATS has created some wireless form or brain MSG, or crack, cause this place is addicting.

......I'm on to you guys.........
edit on 18-11-2015 by GoShredAK because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 18 2015 @ 05:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: dreamingawake
Any of what you mentioned seems promising in it's own ways. Mentioning Alaska, while no expert on the subject of work there, but know a bit about it from in-laws and friends. Fishing maybe? You don't have to work on the boats if that would be an issue but possibly processing instead. I know some who work half the year or so, rent there and return to their normal residence. Best of luck.

Still awake..........the only time ill be found on a boat is of I'm hitching a ride to a beautiful surf spot in Seward to catch some gorgeous waves, or in a canoe floating an epically peaceful and fun river called the Swanson. Also if Suck as a commercial fisherman.

ETA........Posted early on accident, stupid need for sleep!) I would learn slow cave to the stressful environment and the crew would probably throw me overboard......plus can't handle being away from my loved ones too long.

I've done processing, I have my sights set much higher........thanks for reply! Kind of u to take the time
I love ATSers, all of them.

posted on Nov, 18 2015 @ 07:26 AM
link   
I work in the mining industry - very similar to the oil field. There is stupid amounts of money to be made here.... and when i say stupid, i mean it. You will have anything and everything you want. The trade off is being away from your loved ones.
Luckily i moved up high enough that im only away from my bed for 3 nights. Then home the rest of the week with the wife and kids. The average worker in the oil industry works 28 days on 14 days off. Thats a month away from your family. Unless you get very lucky and dont live far from the work site. I live an hour and 15 minutes away from my mine site. So still close enough to go home at a moments notice.

Fire fighting is a very rewarding job. I was a volunteer fire fighter for 3 years. The only reason im not any more is because i bought a new house in the city, an hour away from my old township. But you are right, the pay scale isnt the greatest. But still liveable - in Ontario, Canada any ways.

posted on Nov, 18 2015 @ 07:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: Macenroe82
I work in the mining industry - very similar to the oil field. There is stupid amounts of money to be made here.... and when i say stupid, i mean it. You will have anything and everything you want. The trade off is being away from your loved ones.
Luckily i moved up high enough that im only away from my bed for 3 nights. Then home the rest of the week with the wife and kids. The average worker in the oil industry works 28 days on 14 days off. Thats a month away from your family. Unless you get very lucky and dont live far from the work site. I live an hour and 15 minutes away from my mine site. So still close enough to go home at a moments notice.

Fire fighting is a very rewarding job. I was a volunteer fire fighter for 3 years. The only reason im not any more is because i bought a new house in the city, an hour away from my old township. But you are right, the pay scale isnt the greatest. But still liveable - in Ontario, Canada any ways.

Hmmm. Yes still awake. Slept breifly then reawoke pleasantly surprised to find another reply.....it's in insomniac kinda night, many relentless thoughts of finances and future prospects.

Yeah the oilfield is sounding good. realistically Ill probably work that industry as I await the trooper academy to accept me. It took the captain a year...... Around here the average is two on two off. I can handle that.

It used to terrify me because I used to be far more insecure and It is fact a lot of slopers (workers on the north slope) get cheated on.

Ugh I hate that! Despise infidelity.

Nowadays I feel better for two reasons.

One, our marriage is especially strong, so why manifest issues?

Two I'm far more confident than I used to be. So if I lost her, sure I'd be brutally heart broken, it'd be awful, but I know in heart id be able to strive on and function. Probably become even stronger.

Before Id tell myself if loose her I'd turn to drugs and end up either dead or in jail, then dead.

Also I've learned it's truly up to me. If I want my wife I need to never stop being a husband. I enjoy it and that is fine by me

No commercial or crab fishing tho. Ill admit I ain't that tough.

ETA: important fact. I did in fact go through a very difficult year long separation with my beloved wife. Bad crowd, environment, drugs, and mainly myself not stepping up and being man.

I hated every , millisecond of it we were headed full steam for a divorce and custody battle. I was back home in Alaska, she was near LA, got busted, spent about a year in jail. She sobered up, I never gave up on her (almost had to after so many months of emotional anguish made sure she had money on her books, we talked wrote. I had to shake rebound girl
(Who I was honest about, wifey just wants to kick her butt) and eventually I brought that trouble maker to Alaska and she's settled right in. An angel of a person.

Now three years she has been back, obviously no shortage of stressers (this ain't no damn fakrytale) were raising our five year old son and expecting another.

She and I are dang near unbreakable, I honesty believe the fortification is a direct result of me acting more like An honorable man and less of a little b-word.

Still workin though. Holy $h!t it ain't all sunshine and rainbows. The wrath of am angry wife rivals the wrath 6000 agitated mongoose........something to that affect.

posted on Nov, 18 2015 @ 08:25 AM
link   
Its cool that you are not materialistic but realize that for yourself and your family money is good. As well as health care benefits and retirement.

Myself I am a Union Sheet metal worker. Not a get rich quick scheme by any means but a decent living with a pension when I retire at 56...5 1/2 years from now. Pay scales vary by trade and area but joining a labor union is a viable option.

My younger brother is full time fire fighter and your right the pay is not up where it should be, plus he will get no social security money.(Pretty sure they don't pay into it). He does pretty well though. On their urban search and rescue team, deployed to many disasters nationwide including the Pentagon on 9/11 and recently out west training some special forces guys on something first aid related ...

Personally I wouldnt want to be a corrections officer,having spent a very little time in jail it seams they are always dealing with people that have problems. Maybe different in a prison but just not an environment I would want to spend time in.

So I think your best bet would be to weigh out the various advantages and disadvantages of the work you want. Pay vs. time away from home, maybe a bit lower pay plus benefits while being home every night is worth more than high pay being away for extended periods.

Good luck in whatever you choose

posted on Nov, 18 2015 @ 08:43 AM
link   
a reply to: tinner07

Sound advice there. I personally watched the years of working in a corrections facility wreck my dads light emotions, now he's a bit cold, extremely close minded, and his opinions are a permanent fixture In this universe faulty as some of them may be. He still has my respect though.

For that reason I'm less enthused about the CO position. Not counting it out though.

Yeah I learned quick the stark difference between petty materialism and prospering for the sake of a life with less struggle and more security, especially when others are counting on you. I'm hungry to succeed in that area. I can't fathom weak work ethic when one is blessed with family.

I value family time above all else, but lately a lot of family time has been laziness mixed with money stress while snapping at our son when he didn't truly deserve it.

The goal now is to find the balance. My current job has me home every night but I make only enough to pay Rent and keep our bellies full (truck included) I'm a struggler, I can handle poverty. my wife and son are strugglers too, bless their hearts but they don't freaking deserve to struggle so it's my life goal to make them comfy and as worry free as possible.

posted on Nov, 18 2015 @ 08:52 AM
link   
So logically, I'm going to find my niche in the oilfield yet still make my way to becoming a trooper.

I've head the story numerous time that good honest folks get weeded outta the force. They don't want people like me. However I feel smart enough to fake it, and when I'm out on my own ill conduct business they way a cop is supposed to.

I have zero interest in superiority, I hate seeing harm done, but looooooooove when true evil faces justice.

I hate violent street fights, but get amped to defend somebody in need, also I'm oddly non-violent but am in love with cage fighting and the entire MMA scene. Not sure whats wrong with my.

If I could go back in time Id be getting my paychecks from Dana White........dang it.....maybe my boy

posted on Nov, 18 2015 @ 09:13 AM
link   
I like your fire.

Only gonna comment on the oilfield idea.

Crazy money.

And mancamp is your best bet.

You will be away from your family. The job security can turn tomorrow. The hookers are plentiful. And so are the drugs and alcohol.

You know the second most available job near the oilies are the social workers and psychologists.

The money has its price.
And alot of good men end up paying it.

Do some reading on the Bakken oil field communities. I wouldnt want you going in blind to what it could be like.
www.theatlantic.com...
edit on 18-11-2015 by smirkley because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 18 2015 @ 09:15 PM
link   
Like you've been saying so far, oil field would be great for temporary while you are pushing towards LEO or firefighter.

My brother just became a corrections officer in CA and he has been enjoying it so far.

And hey! If you end up enjoying the oil fields you can always stay there!

I just figure being away from family so long would be tough. But it is a personal choice.

If it were me, I would want to be a State Trooper of firefighter. I would rather be outside than in.

posted on Dec, 11 2015 @ 11:09 PM
link   
Today was a good day, a crucial day. I passed the LST, a crucial written test that is the jumping point to becoming a LEO. Alaska state trooper to be specific. I've many more hurdles ahead but it's on. I have a calm about me. I knew I was going to pass. I have a smurf suit in my future.

posted on Dec, 11 2015 @ 11:28 PM
link   
a reply to: GoShredAK

The Oil Field industry.

If you have an in for a job in that field, that is the way you should go.
Just a few years to see if you do or don't want to, otherwise you will never know, and the money that can be made working on something like the north slope is crazy.
In just a few years you might be able to retire,
and if you don't like it, at least you got a good paycheck while seeing if it is or is not your thing.

posted on Dec, 11 2015 @ 11:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: Darkblade71

The Oil Field industry.

If you have an in for a job in that field, that is the way you should go.
Just a few years to see if you do or don't want to, otherwise you will never know, and the money that can be made working on something like the north slope is crazy.
In just a few years you might be able to retire,
and if you don't like it, at least you got a good paycheck while seeing if it is or is not your thing.

Gosh, I'm surrounded by the OF, most of my family makes their living either in the slope, platforms or here a home. It's never been right for me. I truly just have a hard time grasping the concepts. In all areas of oilfield employment.

I barely comprehended the railroad but through perseverance, belief in oneself, and me just being me, I did well.

Honestly around here the OF is not booming. Many are being laid off. Even long time loyal employees due to nepotism and other political like reasons.

PEAK oilfield was the very first place I went seeking employment and quickly learned Id be sitting on a bench far longer than acceptable.

Now law enforcement, they're hiring. I grasp the subject manner in a unique natural manner. I feel extremely comfortable and confident. I passed a four hour test with only a few hours of studying under my belt.

Yep, this pursuit to become one of the AST has become destiny for me.

posted on Dec, 12 2015 @ 02:02 AM
link   

Well, law enforcement is cool too.

All of the officers in AK I met were rather nice.

posted on Jan, 2 2016 @ 04:18 AM
link   
Well, here I am, sober, feeling like my actual self again.

Since posting the OP I did quit the job. After a roller coaster of sorts I got my self together and started working towards these goals.

I've passed the LST (law enforcement selection tool) first try. First step to becoming a trooper. Days after that I received a call from our local corrections facility (wildwood) for an interview. I finished phase one of the interview on December 30th, now anxiously awaiting a call for the next phase which will be a psychological then physical evaluation.

I feel like I'm passing everything with flying colors which is a direct result of getting sober and not being a total idiot.

Wish me luck all!

If I get the position as CO ill keep it on into retirement I'm quite sure.

As for the time being I'm unemployed and trying to land any interim job I can. Most likely Home Depot unless my old boss is willing to take me back temporarily.

Anyway, just an update. It's embarrasing reading all I wrote up there. I was wacked on anti anxiety meds and recreational bullcrap. It's crazy, I've been a different person for awhile.

It's nice to be me again. Not turning back this time, I feel charged, optimistic and strong.
edit on 2-1-2016 by GoShredAK because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2016 @ 09:26 PM
link   
A few years ago I tried to get on at Prudhoe Bay with BP but I didnt have any contacts. Tons of applicable technical background to offer.You almost need a family member there to get in.
edit on 2-1-2016 by smirkley because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2016 @ 03:37 AM
link   
a reply to: smirkley

Definitely true to an extent, and I have family In the oilfeild, my entire step family actually.

I would do it if I had no other option simply to do right by my wife and kids.

I don't think it'll come to that because I'm very determined follow my own path and do something different, to a stubborn level. Cool thing is I can see the pieces falling Into place and Ill eventually be in law enforcement.

My dream however is to be a positive skateboard instructor/mentor/nutrition expert. I would love to teach kids how to skate while also encouraging Healthy eating, lifestyle, and general well being. With skating as a foundation I would feel great about helping kids find a healthy outlet and avoid the pitfalls of life. (Drugs, alcohol, violence, ect....)

Also I've been through a very very difficult battle with strong anxiety and panic attacks, I would love to save people from that Terrible cycle completely without medication. If I could save one young person from that nightmare I would feel accomplished.

posted on Jan, 3 2016 @ 04:49 AM
link   
I have a friend that's a firefighter on the slope. He digs it. They have all the coolest toys. I worked one summer as an intern for the fire & gas detection team up there -- pretty interesting stuff...

top topics

<<   2 >>

join