It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Syrian Refugees in Washington State

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 17 2015 @ 08:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: abe froman
How many refugees is Mexico taking?

Mexico to Receive Syrian Refugees

About 10,000. If they come.

posted on Nov, 17 2015 @ 08:51 PM
link   
That is concerning about the "only a citizen" never heard that before about the state but have heard to the effect of 'Washington State is a corporate state"-I believe meaning by the land not owned by people by percentage. Wonder if that has anything to do with it.

I'm not a Washington "citizen" right now but have to be again in the future for family's sake-I go back and forth between ID and WA. So, it's very concerning, not only for that, but the region as a whole if the government has that stance-of course unless it means something else? After all if votes really matter(likely won't on this refugee issue-which is constitutional), who is making them, the citizens.

Plus, as mentioned Washington does have large homeless issue, some counties have even closed resources/sec 8 lists. While list closing, etc are common in even higher population areas Wa seems to ave the growing homelessness issue. Not to dismiss the safety of pending refugees if they were to come to the state, however if housing issues are strapped, it seems like things will only become worse.

ps. this wind storm is getting pretty crazy!

posted on Nov, 17 2015 @ 10:19 PM
link   
a reply to: Agree2Disagree

You're saying there isn't a good vetting process, but apparently there is...as some of these people may be stuck in waiting for up to 2 years. That's where I was thinking there might be some conflicting information?
edit on 17-11-2015 by MystikMushroom because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 17 2015 @ 10:26 PM
link   

Once the refugees arrive and meet with the Fundamentalist Mormons and Christian Right then we will see the 1600s all over again.

posted on Nov, 17 2015 @ 10:36 PM
link   
If I were to set up a process for vetting refugees, I'd rather it's details be extremely limited to limit/slow circumvention. or preferably not be public info at all.

OP, you ARE just a citizen. Like it or lump it, you're not someone with rank or clearance to read everything you want to get your hands on. I'd like a whole lot more transparency in the government, probably more than others. What I don't want is for things to be so transparent that a phone call to a citizen willing to make their own phone call is all it takes for someone to circumvent the processes in place. If you think we have a Swiss Cheese immigration process as it is, imagine how much easier it would be for people to take advantage of refugee applications if they were completely transparent to the public.

Basically, if it's restricted info, as your call seems to indicate, suck it up & be VERY THANKFUL it's not easily attainable info for the unsavory types to take advantage of.

posted on Nov, 17 2015 @ 10:39 PM
link   

We need to call fouls every time someone brings up the refugee situation.

I also love to see people bring up the homeless in America as tactic for this, sure they need help but all of a sudden the people who could less before all of a sudden feel deeply for this problem..

posted on Nov, 17 2015 @ 10:41 PM
link   
im over here in Tacoma...
ugg while i am more open minded and accepting of certain issues and helping those in need intuitively i have this looming sense that something is not going to end well...thats all i am saying. i personally feel that we are not heading down the right path and that there will definitely be consequences for our actions.

posted on Nov, 17 2015 @ 10:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: MystikMushroom

You're saying there isn't a good vetting process, but apparently there is...as some of these people may be stuck in waiting for up to 2 years. That's where I was thinking there might be some conflicting information?

Oh, well...just because it's a lengthy process doesn't necessarily mean it's high quality, right?

A2D

posted on Nov, 17 2015 @ 10:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: lucifershiningone

We need to call fouls every time someone brings up the refugee situation.

I also love to see people bring up the homeless in America as tactic for this, sure they need help but all of a sudden the people who could less before all of a sudden feel deeply for this problem..

I've been homeless...I've always cared for them...particularly the veterans as I am one of those also...I find it offensive you would imply otherwise.

A2D
edit on 17-11-2015 by Agree2Disagree because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 17 2015 @ 10:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: Nyiah
If I were to set up a process for vetting refugees, I'd rather it's details be extremely limited to limit/slow circumvention. or preferably not be public info at all.

OP, you ARE just a citizen. Like it or lump it, you're not someone with rank or clearance to read everything you want to get your hands on. I'd like a whole lot more transparency in the government, probably more than others. What I don't want is for things to be so transparent that a phone call to a citizen willing to make their own phone call is all it takes for someone to circumvent the processes in place. If you think we have a Swiss Cheese immigration process as it is, imagine how much easier it would be for people to take advantage of refugee applications if they were completely transparent to the public.

Basically, if it's restricted info, as your call seems to indicate, suck it up & be VERY THANKFUL it's not easily attainable info for the unsavory types to take advantage of.

Being a citizen doesn't mean I have no rights...in fact, being a citizen means I DO HAVE RIGHTS. I have the right to know what my government is going to do to protect myself and others. I'm sorry but the whole foundation of this country is on the citizens having the right to know...the government serves us...not the other way around. As far as I'm aware...the constitution is still the supreme law of this land...

Besides, if it's such a good vetting process and there's nothing to worry about...WHY NOT MAKE IT PUBLIC? What's to hide? If it's "so good" it will work even if everyone knows exactly what is going to happen when they apply for refugee status...

As a reminder...I'll just put this down here...

The Freedom of Information Act, - a law that gives you the right to access information from the federal government. It is often described as the law that keeps citizens in the know about their government.

FOIA

(Wait lemme guess...it's a national security risk that a US citizen knows what vetting process refugees will undergo....riiight)
A2D

posted on Nov, 17 2015 @ 10:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: Agree2Disagree
Being a citizen doesn't mean I have no rights...in fact, being a citizen means I DO HAVE RIGHTS. I have the right to know what my government is going to do to protect myself and others. I'm sorry but the whole foundation of this country is on the citizens having the right to know...the government serves us...not the other way around. As far as I'm aware...the constitution is still the supreme law of this land...

Besides, if it's such a good vetting process and there's nothing to worry about...WHY NOT MAKE IT PUBLIC? What's to hide? If it's "so good" it will work even if everyone knows exactly what is going to happen when they apply for refugee status...

If you really are a vet, you should already know that too much transparency runs the risk of being a security Achilles Heel. I do not advocate total transparency across the board from the government. Doing so would render us very vulnerable to having mutilated asses from all the biting of said asses that kind of transparency would result in.

posted on Nov, 17 2015 @ 11:02 PM
link   
a reply to: Nyiah

Seriously?

An honorably discharged United States Marine Corps veteran knowing the vetting process for refugee processing is a security risk? Seems legit...

A2D

posted on Nov, 17 2015 @ 11:05 PM
link   

Seriously?

An honorably discharged United States Marine Corps veteran knowing the vetting process for refugee processing is a security risk? Seems legit...

A2D

I assume whatever your former security clearance level was is no longer valid, correct? Hello, citizen. I redirect you to my original comment on rank & clearance.

posted on Nov, 17 2015 @ 11:05 PM
link   

An honorably discharged United States Marine Corps veteran knowing the vetting process for refugee processing is a security risk?

And because you told them that, on the phone, they have every reason to believe you.

Heh, sort of ironic that you would say that while complaining about lax vetting practices.

posted on Nov, 17 2015 @ 11:09 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

I didn't tell them that on the phone....but if you'd like I can tell you all my information and you can look it up...pretty easy stuff...

RE1A reenlistment code...Tank mechanic with H&S company as well as Bravo Company 1st tank BN in 29palms(stumps) CA...

commanding officer was Cpt. Smith with Bravo..1st Sgt was 1st Sgt Zapata...formerly of scouts...I can go on...

A2D

posted on Nov, 17 2015 @ 11:10 PM
link   

Yes, I'm a citizen...that means i have rights...don't have to have an active security clearance to have rights you know. I redirect you to the constitution of the United States of America.

A2D

posted on Nov, 17 2015 @ 11:11 PM
link   

Great. Thanks for your service.

What does that have to do with not giving you information which may be sensitive over the phone? Or did you miss my point entirely?

posted on Nov, 17 2015 @ 11:12 PM
link   
Its far easier to sneak a terrorist into the USA on a student or travel visa, just like all of the 9/11 hijackers. Why would ISIS go to the trouble of using refuges to do it if its harder? Putting someone on a truck across the Mexico border is also a lot easier than hiding them among a bunch of refuges too.

posted on Nov, 17 2015 @ 11:12 PM
link   

Yes, I'm a citizen...that means i have rights...don't have to have an active security clearance to have rights you know. I redirect you to the constitution of the United States of America.

A2D

Well, since you've made it abundantly clear everyone should know everything, ever, start spillin'. I'm sure, as a concerned citizen, you understand that us peons are deeply interested in everything restricted or classified you've ever been remotely affiliated with in the military.

Do dish, we're all deserving of knowing. As, you know, citizens.

posted on Nov, 17 2015 @ 11:15 PM
link   
a reply to: MystikMushroom
Yep. Anyone...absolutely anyone...who really wants to get into this, or any other country can do so.

Criminy. This is all so damned similar to the ebola thing last year. Governors saying "Nuh uh. No one from Africa is coming to my state!" So stupid. So ignorant.

edit on 11/17/2015 by Phage because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join