It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Transgender Issues Finally Gain Recognition On Capitol Hill

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 17 2015 @ 09:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: toktaylor
a reply to: Krazysh0t

If it is hormonal it can also be treated medically/scientifically with the appropriate drugs. It continuation of the Human Race depends on the discouragement of behaviors which are detrimental to the survival of the species.

Yes, the continuation of the human race is in real danger with only 7 billion people left.

You think gender dysphoria is some contagious disease, like people think one can catch 'catch the gay'?
edit on 17-11-2015 by cuckooold because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 18 2015 @ 03:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: Freija

originally posted by: Wardaddy454
Far bigger issues going on that affect everyone regardless, but this is the major focus? Yay?

Major focus? It is a house task force that "had been in the works for months". At an afternoon congressional forum, they heard a dozen speakers. Yay! Token acknowledgement transgender people actually exist!

Now I'm sure they're back to spinning their wheels talking about those "bigger issues" so rest assured the world is safe and if not, they'll make it so tomorrow. Or maybe the next day?

Well I was talking about child hunger and things like that. But if you wanna focus on gender then by all means...
edit on 18-11-2015 by Wardaddy454 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 18 2015 @ 03:50 AM
link   
a reply to: Wardaddy454

I get what you're saying, but to these people it's a very real problem. It can seem ridiculous for those of us that aren't in their shoes, but transgender people tend to get crapped on a lot, and it makes sense for them to want to focus on something that profoundly impacts their lives.

Hard to find an appropriate place to draw the line between real problem and not in this day and age, but I would say that people who have trouble finding jobs and housing because of discrimination (without legal recourse) and are assaulted regularly kinda earn being on the real problem side of the line. Doesn't matter if it's a tiny minority. People with green eyes are a tiny minority, and if they were treated like this there would be justifiable outrage.

Transgender people weird me out a bit, but I've never actually known a person who is, and I've never seen any data that even slightly suggests they're somehow a danger. My religion tells me to love my neighbor, my country tells me we're all equal, and my heart agrees with both.

posted on Nov, 18 2015 @ 06:35 AM
link   
a reply to: Domo1

People who are transgender could easily prove as such in court. They have to go through tons of counseling and likely have prescriptions for things like hormones. A pervert would have neither of those things.

posted on Nov, 18 2015 @ 06:36 AM
link   
a reply to: marg6043

Like I just told Domo, there are ways to prove in court who is and isn't transgender. If you want to demonstrate that this is something to be feared, you have to at LEAST produce a case of this actually happening. Otherwise it is just fear propaganda.

posted on Nov, 18 2015 @ 06:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: toktaylor

“Gender dysphoria”…mmm… I have no doubt that if it is a mental condition it can be effectively treated with one or a combination of the following therapies:

1. Medication.
2. Psychotherapy.
3. Group therapy.
4. Day treatment or partial hospital treatment.
5. Specific therapies, such as cognitive-behavior therapy and behavior modification.

If it is hormonal it can also be treated medically/scientifically with the appropriate drugs. It continuation of the Human Race depends on the discouragement of behaviors which are detrimental to the survival of the species.

The continuation of the human race? I'm pretty sure that the low percentage of people with gender dysphoria aren't going to cause the human race to go extinct anytime soon.

posted on Nov, 18 2015 @ 06:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: NihilistSanta
Were the 21 people killed targeted for being transgender or were they prostitutes and this is a line of duty situation being spun for other reasons?

So killing prostitutes is ok then?

posted on Nov, 18 2015 @ 06:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: Another_Nut
hahahaha
1. lets be real . lots of men pass for females. stop trying to make an issue

So?

2. and do they usually have those devices? and if you put them in a mens restroom how do you think that will look?
again you are just being silly

I imagine they would if they are serious about transitioning. I'm sure it will look strange to a lot of the other men in the restroom, but much about being transgender appears strange to other people. Your points are rather weak...

3. its only an issue because people like you have to make it one. you dont. get over it

I'm pretty sure it's an issue because transgender people made it an issue. Do you think I'm transgender?

posted on Nov, 18 2015 @ 08:53 AM
link   

No but conflating the issue and making it about Transgender rights is not. Skewing facts to sway public opinion. You have no problem with this?

posted on Nov, 18 2015 @ 09:09 AM
link   
a reply to: NihilistSanta

Skew facts? I don't recall you proving that any facts have been skewed. I recall you speculating that they may be. So until you prove that they are, then I'm not going to take this seriously.
edit on 18-11-2015 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 18 2015 @ 09:17 AM
link   

Another poster stated that around half were in fact sex workers. Maybe you should reread? I like how if you don't agree with something you ignore it until you cant.

Its real simple. Stats can be interpreted to mean a number of things. Just the way the information has been presented leads one to believe that all of those victims were singled out for being transgender. When we dissect things though we see that MAYBE half were and even that is unproven. There is no context for their deaths to show a link to the point they wish to make. For all we know the other half were victims of domestic abuse.

The numbers are trying to make you jump to a conclusion that isn't proven. Maybe the deaths of transgender people are attacks on the mentally ill? I could make a case either way with the ambiguity of the information.
edit on 18-11-2015 by NihilistSanta because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 18 2015 @ 09:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: NihilistSanta

Another poster stated that around half were in fact sex workers. Maybe you should reread? I like how if you don't agree with something you ignore it until you cant.

I actually didn't see that post. Though I'm about to go back and look for it to see if it is backed up with evidence or not.

ETA: Ok, I just rewent through the thread and didn't see a single post backing this claim up with any actual evidence. It's just speculation. So there is no point in assuming it is true just because someone speculated that it may be the case. I need actual evidence to convince me.

However, if I missed it again after my recent review of the thread, feel free to post a link to the post in question. Be sure to make sure it has a link to a website outside of ATS that agrees with the opinion, because a post with out a link is just an opinion and those are worth nothing in an intellectual debate.

Its real simple. Stats can be interpreted to mean a number of things. Just the way the information has been presented leads one to believe that all of those victims were singled out for being transgender. When we dissect things though we see that MAYBE half were and even that is unproven. There is no context for their deaths to show a link to the point they wish to make. For all we know the other half were victims of domestic abuse.

The numbers are trying to make you jump to a conclusion that isn't proven. Maybe the deaths of transgender people are attacks on the mentally ill? I could make a case either way with the ambiguity of the information.

Do you HONESTLY believe that these things are the case? I mean are you seriously questioning that violence against transgender people isn't a thing?

posted on Nov, 18 2015 @ 09:28 AM
link   

Violence against all people is a thing. The context determines the nature of the thing. Is it discrimination? Perhaps the perpetrators didn't know they were killing a transgender? Maybe they intended to discriminate against women. Data can be deceptive through omission. This is a huffpo article which is like Breitbart for the left so I have to assume some inherent bias.

This is from the link about the 21 people killed that the huffington post sources.

In the early morning hours of March 7, Keyshia Blige, a 33-year-old transgender woman, was driving a friend in her car through Aurora, Illinois, "when several shots were fired," reports U.K. newspaper The Guardian, the first media outlet to report Blige's identity as a trans woman in late August. One shot hit Blige in the shoulder, and though she attempted to drive herself to the hospital, she eventually lost control of the vehicle and crashed into a Jeep, according to a March Chicago Tribune report that identified the victim as "a man" and by her male name. Blige was pronounced dead on arrival at an Aurora hospital at 2:58 a.m. on March 7, reports the Tribune. A subsequent report in the Tribune did mention that Blige was "transitioning" and had recently begun hormone therapy, though the paper continued to use male pronouns and Blige's given (male) name. Blige was misgendered by police and media reports that relied upon her state-issued identification, notes The Guardian, though a friend of the victim contacted the U.K. paper to confirm Blige's identity as a trans woman. That friend, Sasha Love, told The Guardian that Blige had begun pursuing her physical transition shortly before she was killed, and was "the happiest I had ever seen her once she started transitioning.” In March, Aurora police told the Tribune that the shooting was "not considered random," but declined to release a motive. When contacted by The Guardian, Dan Ferrelli, media relations manager for the Aurora Police Department, said "It's definitely not a hate crime." "But we have some theories we are looking into," added Ferrelli.

See my point now?

These Are the U.S. Trans Women Killed in 2015
edit on 18-11-2015 by NihilistSanta because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 18 2015 @ 09:39 AM
link   

Well I'd never deny that media bias doesn't exist, but do you think that trans people don't deserve equal protections under the law just because you found a bit of evidence that the facts may be a bit distorted?

I mean that is really what this whole thread is about. Trying to get equal protection for these people.

posted on Nov, 18 2015 @ 09:44 AM
link   

If the source is misleading we have to question the motives. Trans people have all of the same rights everyone else has. Tell me what rights they don't have? So far bathroom discrimination is about all I can find of something they "cant" do or people are opposed to. They want people to accept them is the issue. You cant force that. Like I said they already have all of the same rights and entitlements they just don't have public acceptance.

Ive always said that equating gay rights with transgenderism was a mistake on the GLB crowd. There are too many holes and it doesn't even always directly relate. There are plenty of cross-dressers and trans people who are straight.

posted on Nov, 18 2015 @ 09:47 AM
link   

They need to have equal protection under the Civil Rights bill. That is something they don't have (on the federal level at least).

Transgenders got lumped in with homosexuality because it is one of those behaviors that many people find "weird" or "disgusting" so they joined up to create a more unified front. It doesn't help that as short as 5 years ago, many viewed being transgender as being gay. If it was just gay people asking for rights or just transgender people, then it would be much harder to get the lobbying efforts achieved to air their grievances. Blame society for transgenders being lumped in with them.

posted on Nov, 18 2015 @ 10:01 AM
link   

They have equal protection. Just because it isn't on the books in some states doesn't mean they are not federally protected. You haven't shown me any rights that I possess that they do not.

posted on Nov, 18 2015 @ 10:04 AM
link   

posted on Nov, 18 2015 @ 10:08 AM
link   

They are all federally protected. It is pretty clear despite the lack of local laws addressing the issue. Hard to prove someone didn't rent to you for whatever reason. Same with employment. No amount of legalese will change that either unless someone is outright telling you why they did something.

posted on Nov, 18 2015 @ 10:11 AM
link   

They AREN'T federally protected. That was shown in the OP.

In July, a group of lawmakers introduced the Equality Act, which would update federal law to provide nondiscrimination protections for LGBT people. The White House recently endorsed it, but it hasn't moved anywhere in Congress.

Stop saying that is the case. It isn't true.

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join