It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Contest Idea-Missing Scene

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 16 2015 @ 10:34 PM
link   
I'm not sure I'm allowed to suggest ideas. And perhaps it is too early, but I had an idea for a writing contest. A missing page(s) from some piece of literature. I'm not sure if there should be some sort of restrictions in terms of what sort of literature should be allowed, but I personally think this could be an interesting idea developing either a character that was not very developed originally by the author, or continuing the story of a developed character with some influence of our members.
edit on 16-11-2015 by Tiamat384 because: (no reason given)

(post by youcannotwin removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)

posted on Nov, 16 2015 @ 10:52 PM
link   
a reply to: youcannotwin
Wait what?

posted on Nov, 16 2015 @ 11:15 PM
link   
a reply to: Tiamat384

I think I get what you are suggesting... like a fan fic kind of contest? Write from another perspective or cover a scene that is mentioned in a piece of literature or novel? If you do this, you will have to limit the type of Lit to something broad yet easily judge-able. For example, something from Jane Austin/Charles Dickinson/20 th century authors or something in a well known fan basis, star trek/star wars/hunger games to get enough writers to participate. Then you will have to have a judge basis that is familiar with the fiction enough to judge it appropriately. You also will have to set up the criteria on what is considered in the top. Will it be creativity with in the confines of that literary universe or will it be based on style matching the original authors? Is grammar going to be a major factor, and if it is, how much does it matter?

I'd be all for that kind of contest, but it would have to have specific rules to it, already established by the judges. Best to get judges who are in the literary field, who would have a wide range of fictions he or she would understand.

Good luck getting it off the ground! If you do, please let me know. Sounds like fun.

posted on Nov, 16 2015 @ 11:27 PM
link   
a reply to: JessicaS
Yes something like that! A missing scene to be exact. I was thinking personally of creating a scene that was mentioned, but by no means described in the A Tale of Two Cities. Do you think this post will get the attention of writers of ATS to help organize or gain support? I'm making a pure suggestion, do the judges select the criteria or do I as the suggester?

posted on Nov, 17 2015 @ 01:10 PM
link   
like the idea.
'Imagine finding an unpublished work/fragment by this writer (_______)'.

posted on Nov, 17 2015 @ 02:22 PM
link   
a reply to: works4dhs
Exactly, I actually had to do something of the sort in High School in sophomore year I believe, and since I have it in my possession I figured I could share it, but it also seemed like a great, fun idea for a Writing Contest.

posted on Nov, 17 2015 @ 08:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: Tiamat384
a reply to: JessicaS
Yes something like that! A missing scene to be exact. I was thinking personally of creating a scene that was mentioned, but by no means described in the A Tale of Two Cities. Do you think this post will get the attention of writers of ATS to help organize or gain support? I'm making a pure suggestion, do the judges select the criteria or do I as the suggester?

The way it has been done in the past is the winner of the last contest decides the theme of the next contest. I don't know if that is chiseled in stone or not.

I would not discourage anyone from making suggestions. I like your idea of a missing scene. I am somewhat familiar with it. When I get stuck writing something I often get the creative juices flowing again by starting with something someone else wrote, then diverge and continue the story my own way. Once I feel like I am back in the groove I switch back to the original story and carry on from there.

Neat idea. Lets see if it gets some legs...

posted on Nov, 17 2015 @ 08:50 PM
link   
a reply to: Vroomfondel
You realize what that means don't you? The next contest, I need to ensure I win! I certainly hope it gains legs and it is great that an ATS writer has seen this, now if a Mod could shed light on the rules of Theme Selection.

posted on Nov, 17 2015 @ 09:16 PM
link   
You have my vote :-)

posted on Nov, 17 2015 @ 09:18 PM
link   
a reply to: CantStandIt
Why thank you! Hope this Bill passes and that you take part.

top topics

join