It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Megachurch pastor says revealing his salary would violate Christ’s teachings:

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 15 2015 @ 10:39 AM
link   
a reply to: Spider879

What Malcolm X would have said to many of those who owned Mega Churches.

posted on Nov, 15 2015 @ 11:58 AM
link   

There is such a thing as good Christian stewardship and wise use of money.Giving to this guy and his church is obviously not it.

posted on Nov, 15 2015 @ 12:03 PM
link   
a reply to: Prezbo369

And for that, he will receive what's coming to him, if not in this life, then the next.

posted on Nov, 15 2015 @ 12:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: sweets777

Im not defending rich pastors but this guy didnt say anything wrong when u give something your not supposed to
stand up and say i gave this much .

A church is a not for profit entity that gains tax exemption status on everything from property taxes to the taxes on a new car to birthday gifts for their friends. They should most very definitely be sharing their financials with the community that supports them by paying extra taxes. If you made 26 million last year, how much do you think YOUR tax burden would be? (Rough estimate is 10-11 million) local infrastructure, schools etc. are all forced to increase the tax burden on the local community, including the congregants who are essentially paying twice now while the head of the flock lives in the lap of luxury. Not very Christian and not quite what Jesus had in mind.

And if 20,000 people find him entertaining enough to go to his church see some people sing some songs ect
and give a little money then why is that anyones business and better yet why does that bother people so much.
And he gave 9 million back to the church .

He didn't give 9 million back to the church, they paid out 9 million to the staff at the church, donated 3.8 million and retained liquid assets in the neighborhood of 13+ million. So no, He's not donating to anyone's college fund at his church.

posted on Nov, 15 2015 @ 12:13 PM
link   
a reply to: Klassified

Well the Bible does instruct all good sheep/flock to give half a shekel to the priests rich or poor.....suckers.

posted on Nov, 15 2015 @ 12:44 PM
link   
Looks like another case of…

“The Lord giveth and the Paster taketh away…” lol

- JC

posted on Nov, 15 2015 @ 01:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

And for that, he will receive what's coming to him, if not in this life, then the next.

We shouldn't rely on wshful thinking and superstitions. Something proactive should be done, at the very least these people should pay tax and contribute.
edit on 15-11-2015 by Prezbo369 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 15 2015 @ 05:31 PM
link   

There is no question in my mind that these institutions are abusive, physically and spiritually.
All men are corrupted, yes they should be paying tax
There may well come a time when people will overthrow these charlatans
I guess they pay political candidates lots of money to enjoy their corruption

posted on Nov, 15 2015 @ 05:50 PM
link   

a reply to: Raggedyman

I would agree that this man is deeply flawed.

But there are also lesson throughout the Bible, even in the NT, that faith and salvation are personal.

So, this man is flawed, likely a hypocrite who teaches that one should freely give, and even as he himself does not lead by example, there may be in his congregation that humble old woman who gives her last two shekels. Just as the old woman did in the temple that Christ railed against as being so notoriously corrupt.

Jesus didn't stop her from giving. Rather, he praised her for it. The lesson there is that your state with God is personal, your state with God.

I don't see the relationship between the Pharisee and the old lady you describe and this situation
Christ was actually condemning the wealth and greed of the Pharisees when He used the teaching example of the lady and the mite

The wealthy Pharisees offered more money than necessary and made sure everyone could see how they gave according to the law and beyond, the lady gave believing she wasn't doing enough.

Jesus said we will know His people by their works, by their fruit. The fruit of the Spirit is defined in the sermon on the mount, not by the wages one earn
I have heard these ministers on tv, they teach the more you give the more you receive, that God is a slot machine, that's not Christianity

Store up your treasures in heaven, not temporal things like a big car, house, fine jewelry and a new plane.

posted on Nov, 15 2015 @ 06:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: LABTECH767
There is a passage in the bible that reads like this, For Scripture says, "Do not muzzle an ox while it is treading out the grain," and "The worker deserves his wages."

It is easy to bash this guy and yes he is well paid, so too are a lot of these men but they work for it and do so by bringing people to god

Quoting 1timothy 5?
I think this greedy charlatan is receiving more than double the honor the text prescribes, don't you

I also think this mans lifestyle makes more people turn away from God than embrace Him
Look at this thread, look at the replies, look at the division

May God bless him, Gods greatest blessings involve not receiving, but understanding our own sin.

posted on Nov, 15 2015 @ 08:15 PM
link   

The problem comes from the institutionalized control.

Is this one bad? No doubt. But you have to stop trying to protect people from themselves. I don't want the state meddling with religion. If we can't have religion meddling with state, where do you get off having the state meddle with religion?

It sucks that this happens, but when you start opening the door to church regulation then you start letting the state control churches, worship and religious practices.

Bye-bye, 1st Amendment.

posted on Nov, 15 2015 @ 09:32 PM
link   

The problem comes from the institutionalized control.

Is this one bad? No doubt. But you have to stop trying to protect people from themselves. I don't want the state meddling with religion. If we can't have religion meddling with state, where do you get off having the state meddle with religion?

It sucks that this happens, but when you start opening the door to church regulation then you start letting the state control churches, worship and religious practices.

Bye-bye, 1st Amendment.

I have to agree here, however tax-em like any other business .
edit on 15-11-2015 by Spider879 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1   >>

join