It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Religious indoctrination of children should be outlawed

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 15 2015 @ 06:23 PM
link   
a reply to: BuzzyWigs

You're assuming im religious? I am from a religious family Mother was Catholic and my father married a Jehovah's witness and none of them pushed their religion on me, even my step mother. I had to go to church but once i was old enough to stay home by myself they let me and let me decide what i believe.

Just because people have bad stories doesn't mean everyone has them. My step mothers son even came out as gay and she still loved him and didn't judge him, amazingly even as a devote Jehovah's witness. Not all religious people are the same

My family is very open minded and..... OH NO! RELIGIOUS!

edit on 15-11-2015 by JDmOKI because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 15 2015 @ 06:24 PM
link   
a reply to: JDmOKI
Nope - not assuming anything.

Just wanted to make my point. I'd gathered from your earlier posts that you aren't a religious type authoritarian.

Anyway, that's awesome!! Glad to hear it....
Thanks, though - for reassuring me.

edit on 11/15/2015 by BuzzyWigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 15 2015 @ 06:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: JDmOKI
You just put billions of people into your over opinionated little box. superiority complex much?

The "billions of people"¹ put themselves in a "box" - the box of subjugation by strident, stupefying superstition - and one must already be suffering from an 'inferiority complex' in order to perceive other flesh-and-blood human beings as somehow superior to themselves. 👍

Also, the irony of being labelled "ignorant" by those whose understanding of the world they live is formed by metaphysics and magic, is indeed rich!

¹ Many, perhaps most, of those who profess to be aligned with one deity devotion or the other, are either forced to espouse (e.g., are living in a strict theocracy... or are running for or serving in the U.S. government!), have had an ideology ingrained upon them (e.g., children who know no better) or only present themselves as adherents in a notional, associative sense (e.g., they grew up in a religious family, but do 'observe').
edit on 15-11-2015 by TheInhumanCentipede because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 15 2015 @ 06:30 PM
link   

I do agree people growing up get stuck in a religious household but most of the time people rebel, its a very common story.

posted on Nov, 15 2015 @ 06:32 PM
link   
a reply to: JDmOKI

It is indeed a very common story. If you are a parent who recognizes that, and adapts to it, and endeavors to teach your child(ren) to discern between 'blind faith' and 'critical thinking' and simple 'adolescent rebellion impulses', and also how to learn on their own - in their own time....
so they can make educated decisions and opinions.....

....Then - golden!!

edit on 11/15/2015 by BuzzyWigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 15 2015 @ 06:34 PM
link   
a reply to: TheInhumanCentipede

Well one of my best friends is deeply religious and has made straight As through college and is going to med school. Yup, you sound ignorant claiming you know what billions of people feel and think. you don't have to be offended.

I would say that to my mother if she ranted that nonsense

posted on Nov, 15 2015 @ 06:42 PM
link   

I'm also an idealist haha

but yea that's unfortunately a rare occurrence and even atheists can train their children to be ignorant

posted on Nov, 15 2015 @ 06:47 PM
link   

Well one of my best friends is deeply religious and has made straight As through college and is going to med school.

Rote, academic knowledge ≠ intelligence wisdom compos mentis.

posted on Nov, 15 2015 @ 06:52 PM
link   

Your stereotypes are mind blowing

so every religious person lacks intelligence and wisdom and is unable to think for themselves

GOT IT!

posted on Nov, 16 2015 @ 02:14 AM
link   

so every religious person lacks intelligence and wisdom and is unable to think for themselves
GOT IT!

By very definition:

• The godtard believes in magic and miracles -- intelligence?
• The godtard fashions their morality on book written by phallocentric priests, self-purported prophets and patriarchy -- wisdom?
• The godtard delegates responsibility to diabolical and divine metaphysical influences -- thinking?

I come on-ly with rea-son-ing... ♪♫ pa rum pum pum pum ♪♫ .

posted on Nov, 16 2015 @ 03:06 PM
link   

Even people i disagree with vehemently I show respect because I don't expect everyone to think or agree with everything I believe.

calling people godtards is childish and honestly you can think of something more creative right? Based on the criteria presented I'm sure of it

oh Atheist master race

(post by TheInhumanCentipede removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)

posted on Nov, 17 2015 @ 03:23 AM
link   
I agree in principle with the idea that no child should be indoctrinated into a religion although I think they should all be taught about religious beliefs and the history of religious interference in the world once in senior school.

If you look at the religions that segregate and believe themselves to be something superior or chosen, especially those that give themselves religious laws whereby they can kill non-believers or exploit them etc - they all indoctrinate their kids during the formative years because its hard to replace indoctrination with common sense or reason and it stops them making choices without feeling guilt.

Religion is one tradition that is in dire need of going under the microscope to evaluate its actual benefit and exactly what it teaches people to believe. Believing in a supernatural being is not the problem but its what the priesthoods of religion have added within their dogmas and various other religious trappings that make the wars.

posted on Nov, 17 2015 @ 02:06 PM
link   

Are you serious? did you just try to validate your use of godtard and actually presented it like i didn't understand?

GOOD GAME

posted on Nov, 18 2015 @ 05:50 AM
link   

posted on Nov, 18 2015 @ 02:26 PM
link   

oh Atheist master race

Oh come now.....you're surely not being stereotypical?

Don't stoop to that level.....because if that's truly how you feel you're not much different from theInhumanCentipede...

posted on Nov, 21 2015 @ 04:26 PM
link   
a reply to: Prezbo369

obviously I don't think that although some actually do act that way. Just a lil jab

posted on Nov, 21 2015 @ 05:33 PM
link   

So rather than everyone decide how to raise there own kids we should succumb to your ideologies and brain wash them to think your way. Double edged sword here.

posted on Nov, 22 2015 @ 10:33 AM
link   

SECULAR INDOCTRINATION OF CHILDREN SHOULD BE OUTLAWED!!!!!!!!

posted on Nov, 22 2015 @ 01:13 PM
link   
a reply to: ServantOfTheLamb

THERE'S NO SUCH THING!!+

To be Secular means to have nothing of a religious basis involved, it's the absence of religion.

While TheInhumanCentiped was being a bit extreme, I do agree in principle that to pass on your supernatural and baseless superstitions to your child as an authority is at the detriment to the child.

edit on 22-11-2015 by Prezbo369 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join