It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is it possible to put out the sun?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 14 2015 @ 03:47 PM
link   
Maybe if you got enough iron into the core you could destroy the sun be creating a supernova, but the sun is too small to ever create iron for itself.

posted on Nov, 14 2015 @ 03:52 PM
link   
If we built a giant pipe line to space would we vent the atmosphere???

posted on Nov, 14 2015 @ 03:54 PM
link   
a reply to: crazyewok

If I wanted to use an RNA based organism and vector it to Chromosomes....never mind,I probabley wouldn't understand the answer.

posted on Nov, 14 2015 @ 03:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: deadeyedick
If we built a giant pipe line to space would we vent the atmosphere???

No, the atmosphere has weight so it would just come back to Earth even if it's inside the pipe.

posted on Nov, 14 2015 @ 04:06 PM
link   
a reply to: swanne

It has some weight.
Someone told me space was a vacuum.

posted on Nov, 14 2015 @ 04:10 PM
link   
Given the task of a practical, realistic way of "putting out" the Sun, there really is only one solution.

We can't actually put the Sun out, so the only way is to simulate the Sun being put out. Therefore, we need to baseline a "non observed Sun". ie. All observations such as heat, light, photosynthesis etc etc are put in a "blacklist". If we then observe objects, such as an apple for instance - we can remove the effects in our blacklist which are observed in the apple.

This will simulate no Sun.

Of course, if we remove all the items in our blacklist from the apple, there won't even be an "apple" to begin with. (Which is what we would expect if the Sun was put out.)
edit on 14-11-2015 by socketdude because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 14 2015 @ 04:15 PM
link   

Earth's gravitional pull counteracts the effects of vacuum.

Thus the atmosphere stays on Earth, along with rocks and water and human madness.

edit on 14-11-2015 by swanne because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 14 2015 @ 04:20 PM
link   
a reply to: lamplighters

"Is it possible to put out the Sun"?

1. Uh, I don't advize trying to put out the Sun. Especially with H2O. (imagine the length of hose you'd need.)

2. Why would you want to?

posted on Nov, 14 2015 @ 04:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: swanne

Earth's gravitional pull counteracts the effects of vacuum.

Thus the atmosphere stays on Earth, along with rocks and water and human madness.

but you said atmosphere has no weight so then how does it interact with gravity if it is weightless?

I think I found a brain teaser

posted on Nov, 14 2015 @ 04:21 PM
link   
a reply to: swanne

I was under the impression there wasn't enough atmospheric pressure to send any "air" up a tube to space. I always thought it was not the vacuum of space that sucks, it's the pressure behind whatever is escaping that gives it force.

posted on Nov, 14 2015 @ 04:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: lamplighters

originally posted by: swanne

Yes, you could put out the sun, but it would nee far more than water. See, water would evaporate into constituents before it can even touch the surface.

Just make a sun of equal mass, and make it with antimatter. Your Antisun would combine with the Sun, and annihilate. Then you would have no Sun anymore.

How do you think it would go out, sizzle or evaporate?

When anti-matter and matter make contact each other, they basically cancel each other leaving behind a flash of gamma rays. That would appear like a massive super-nova.

The heat and light of the Sun is caused by gravitational attraction being converted into physical pressure which in turn raises temperature and compresses matter together until there is fusion. You would have to cancel out the effect of gravity, or wait until all the fusion had been complete. Then the Sun will end up as a dim red giant.

posted on Nov, 14 2015 @ 04:29 PM
link   

but you said atmosphere has no weight

Huh? No, I said it has weight! Atmosphere has pressure, thus it has weight. Otherwise it would just fly off and disperse into space.

posted on Nov, 14 2015 @ 04:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: EternalSolace
I always thought it was not the vacuum of space that sucks, it's the pressure behind whatever is escaping that gives it force.

Yes, but you have the totality of Earth's gravitational pull pulling air back to Earth and giving it pressure in the first place.

posted on Nov, 14 2015 @ 04:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: Discotech
You don't know about night time ?

When the sun sets, god wraps him up in a flame proof blanket to put him "out" for the night so he can sleep all snuggled in his blanky until morning

I guess it "unwraps" right before Dawn, huh?

posted on Nov, 14 2015 @ 04:44 PM
link   
I just close my eyes and put my fingers in my ears and say 'La, la, la, la...' really loud.
That makes things go away for me.
edit on b000000302015-11-14T16:44:33-06:0004America/ChicagoSat, 14 Nov 2015 16:44:33 -0600400000015 by butcherguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 14 2015 @ 04:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: butcherguy
I just close my eyes and put my fingers in my ears and say 'La, la, la, la...' really loud.
That makes things go away for me.

My fingerson ignores the feck out of me!

posted on Nov, 14 2015 @ 04:47 PM
link   

Yeah, with a garden hose.

posted on Nov, 14 2015 @ 04:59 PM
link   

edit on 11/14/2015 by Kali74 because: nvm

posted on Nov, 14 2015 @ 05:41 PM
link   
I just Asked Jeeves.
It said to put a giant heat stone next to it and the heat from the sun will then transfer to the heating stone.
Once transferred you can then go into the center of the sun and pull the plugs out (the red wires, not the yellow ones) of the battery bank.

posted on Nov, 14 2015 @ 06:07 PM
link   
I suppose you could build a giant shield that would rotate between the earth and the sun creating something like a permanent eclipse ... that would effectively put out the sun, too.

I had an old sci-fi book where aliens did that to the earth.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join