It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Diabetic Fudge?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 14 2015 @ 02:00 PM
link   
Okay, tired of trying to chase this down with Google. I figure if anyone out there has it, it would be my fellow peeps here on ATS!

I'm looking for a homemade fudge recipe for diabetics. One that doesn't taste like cow poop, and will not spike my blood sugar.

Can ya help me out here peoples?

posted on Nov, 14 2015 @ 02:17 PM
link   
a reply to: eriktheawful

link

Can you use splenda ?

posted on Nov, 14 2015 @ 02:20 PM
link   
a reply to: dollukka

I can. I also use aspartame, but have seriously cut back on my usage of artificial sweetners 2 years ago (and feel a heck of a lot better for it).

posted on Nov, 14 2015 @ 02:31 PM
link   

for baking/cooking i wouldn't use anything other than splenda and erythritol (truvia). I use about 65% splenda with 35% erythritol since polyols can cause gastric upset (pulls water out of the intestinal walls, creating bloating, when over used). But they are natural, occuring as a sugar alcohol as part of the ripening process. I wouldn't use any polyol other than eruthritol, as some (like maltitol and xylitol) can cause insulin response that is on par with sugar. Erythritol creates almost zero insulin response...but still gives that chewy texture that you get from sugar.

posted on Nov, 14 2015 @ 02:33 PM
link   
thecoconutmama.com...

This one calls for honey but says you can use stevia instead. Haven't tried it, but coconut oil and cocoa pair well.
Either that or make normal fudge and restrict yourself to little itty bitty pieces.....nah, impossible.
Try the stevia

posted on Nov, 14 2015 @ 03:23 PM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

I'll look into that BFFT! Thanks!

posted on Nov, 14 2015 @ 03:24 PM
link   
a reply to: snowspirit

Yah, I have to stay away from honey. Even though it's a natural sugar and our bodies absorb it better than table sugar, it still spikes my index pretty bad (gave it a try once...tasted good! My blood sugar however got ticked off with me, heh).

posted on Nov, 14 2015 @ 03:25 PM
link   

Coconut sugar has a very low glycemic response. I don't know if it's appropriate for diabetes or not though. Maybe something to check out as an alternative to some of the other appropriate sweeteners. It's granulated and can be measured cup for cup like sugar. The biggest difference in taste is that it's slightly caramely or brown sugar like without being so heavy. Good luck with your fudge!

posted on Nov, 14 2015 @ 03:31 PM
link   
If you go with what the American Diabetes Association says here; maybe you can just have a little regular fudge.

They say one averages 45-60g of carbs per meal and if you cut out other carbs substituting sugar for them is not as bad as once thought.

Id consider making a regular fudge recipe; substituting half the sugar for artificial sweetener. I made a cheesecake like that from a regular recipe and it turned out great and I hate the way splenda tastes.

I've never had it and it's quite expensive but Yacon syrup has a glycemic index of 1. It's sweetness is similar to agave or honey so in a recipe it's recommended to substitute 2/3 cup yacon to 1 cup sugar. Reducing the liquid in a recipe by 1/4 C for every cup of yacon. I think it's retardedly expensive, but perhaps you are very wealthy.
edit on 11/14/2015 by Josephus because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 14 2015 @ 03:33 PM
link   
I couldn't imagine not being able to eat fudge but then I'm addicted to it. I'd stay away from aspartame because it can cause a lot of health problems. Somebody here mentioned stevia. I've heard that it's good and comes from a plant. Given a choice, that's what I would use.

posted on Nov, 14 2015 @ 05:01 PM
link   
I'll have to do some research on the coconut sugar. Never used it. If it's coconut palm sugar, it's still sucrose though.

I'm allowed up to 60g of carbs per meal. While it's true I can remove something from my plate, or greatly reduce a serving size so I can then have part of that piece of fudge, that won't cut it: I'll still be hungry, give in and eat something else too.

I cut the aspartame out of my diet. I was using quite a lot of it in my coffee when I became a Type 2. Now, I drink my coffee black, no sugar or sweetener of any kind.

I can experiment with some of the ideas y'all gave me, so thanks a whole lot!

posted on Nov, 14 2015 @ 08:48 PM
link   
How long have you been diabetic? Make sure you keep a close eye on your sugar intake and insulin. Also, pay special attention to your fingers and toes. I can tell you horror stories from watching my dad. One reason I mention watching your toes, for example, is that he had a sore on a toe and eventually his leg had to be amputated. Didn't help the doc was a dumb ass and didn't do anything about the sore but still. Keep an eye on them.

posted on Nov, 15 2015 @ 09:45 AM
link   
a reply to: woodsmom

I like coconut sugar, when I want that deep flavor, and am not too concerned with the carbs [I'm not diabetic].
It works well in GF recipes...and is the sugar/sweetener recommender by my nutritional healer.

a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

I was just going to ask you for that info.
I'm making a cheesecake this week....and I know I cannot use coconut sugar for the sweetener.
Thanks!!!

posted on Nov, 15 2015 @ 10:34 AM
link   
a reply to: DontTreadOnMe

I've fallen in love with it as well. It was also the first thing that came to mind since we don't use artificial sweeteners either and I'm just not a huge fan of the stevia. The boys love it though and the flavored liquid stevia is a little less metallic. I have the vanilla in the fridge all the time.

Small side note, since we had to get rid of eggs too and we are a cheesecake family, I found a recipe for a no bake cheesecake that is eesentially cream cheese and sweetened condensed milk whipped together. Using almond flour and butter for the crust makes it one of the easiest sweets I have found. I do add a little coconut sugar to the almond flour, and vanilla to the cheesecake. Otherwise it's a super easy clean slate to get creative with.

That's a bummer that the coconut sugar may not be appropriate here. My friend's dad is diabetic as well and I was hoping it might work for him.

posted on Nov, 15 2015 @ 10:38 AM
link   
a reply to: woodsmom

It would be a matter of flavor, more than anything....I just don't want that flavor competing with the lemon zest my recipe calls for.
Otherwise, I cannot see why it wouldn't work.

Yikes!!! On eliminating eggs. I think that would cause me distress.
Giving up gluten and most carbs is ENOUGH!!!

posted on Nov, 15 2015 @ 10:49 AM
link   
a reply to: DontTreadOnMe

Between my son and I there is no gluten, soy, peanuts or eggs in my house........
We are figuring it out, but food is a special challenge in my house. In some ways though, it is still easier than when I had gestational diabetes. We are restricted, but we don't have to regulate everything per meal.

posted on Nov, 28 2015 @ 11:34 PM
link   
Try black bean brownies made with stevia and good rich chocolate...maybe with some decarboxylated cannabis.....

posted on Nov, 28 2015 @ 11:34 PM
link   

edit on 11/28/2015 by Tarasco because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2017 @ 03:03 AM
link   
I just found this great guide to Artificial sweeteners ad how they affect your blood sugar (LINK)! I personally prefer Stevia and use the liquid version when I make fudge. It's a little more bitter (not the right word but you know what I mean) that the powder kind, but you only need a little bit.
edit on 16-1-2017 by PeterJohnson because: (no reason given)

top topics

join