It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Just Had A Slaughter At My House.

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 13 2015 @ 03:30 PM
link   
a reply to: chiefsmom
Try creating an enclosure for them which is safe, and that can't be pulled apart in a matter of minutes by another predator.
The loss of those animals is on you.

posted on Nov, 13 2015 @ 03:35 PM
link   
Not sure if you looked at the picture of her chickens but the coop looks to be solid wood...was she supposed to use cement or steel perhaps? Maby Kevlar....

a reply to: Iamnotadoctor

posted on Nov, 13 2015 @ 03:35 PM
link   

Like I don't feel bad enough?
The regular enclosure has 1/4" wire mesh, burried 1 foot in the ground. It has bird netting across the top, even of the temp run.

And this dog, was in MY YARD!!!!!!!

edit on 13-11-2015 by chiefsmom because: clarify

posted on Nov, 13 2015 @ 03:39 PM
link   

Ok, brilliant.
Why make a thread about this ?

posted on Nov, 13 2015 @ 03:39 PM
link   
a reply to: Athetos

Thanks,
That pic, they are "in for the night" In the coop.

But the regular run is how I described above. And the temp run where some of them where, is a 4" chain length, with bird netting over the top.

Hubby think the dog jumped the fence. Nothing is out of place, except one corner of the bird netting is torn down. That is a hell of a jumper.

posted on Nov, 13 2015 @ 03:42 PM
link   

I'm sorry, what part don't you get? Did I not post this in the rant forum? Did this dog not destroy my property ON my property? I needed to vent, and maybe help someone else avoid a loss, as others on here have chickens as well. You didn't have to read it, nor reply.

sheesh

posted on Nov, 13 2015 @ 03:42 PM
link   
I've seen dogs jump out of the pound's fence enclosure at 8 feet. They jump to the centre support And again to get out its quite impressive. Anything avoid to death I suppose.

edit on 13-11-2015 by Athetos because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 13 2015 @ 03:43 PM
link   
To rant in the rant fourm... You are indeed no doctor.

posted on Nov, 13 2015 @ 03:49 PM
link   

At first I thought your chicken had been killed by ingesting chocolate from a laboratory.

It took me a re-read to realize you are talking about a brown Labrador dog.

Well, I am most sorry for your loss. 15 deads is just unfair of a number.

(*pat on the back*)
edit on 13-11-2015 by swanne because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 13 2015 @ 03:51 PM
link   

I am really so sorry for your loss. I can tell these were your pets, not just mere farm animals.

posted on Nov, 13 2015 @ 03:54 PM
link   
a reply to: swanne

Thank you for a smile.

posted on Nov, 13 2015 @ 04:02 PM
link   
I was a farm kid myself, but I cannot relate to livestock loss from domesticated animals, because it never happened. My parents trained Leader Dogs on the side. We never had a single dog, our own or LDs, that was not hella obedient, none of them went after the fowl, or anything else for that matter. Chalk it up to excellent training or fluke after fluke, but none of the German Shepards or Labs of any kind ever stepped out of line.

Pisses me off for you. Not sure if his dog could have been trained/trained better or what, but it does sound like he dropped the ball on owner responsibility there.

posted on Nov, 13 2015 @ 04:02 PM
link   

Labs and golden retrievers are all bred for bird hunting. That's why they say they have a gentle bite. They're trained to retrieve the bird to the hunter without it being chewed up. But any medium to large dog would probably have a hay day if it had access to chickens, rabbits you name it. It's in their blood. Sorry for your loss.

posted on Nov, 13 2015 @ 04:03 PM
link   
My niece and her husband are like you, love their chickens, they are vegetarian though.
Anyway they got all of their chickens including those silky ones and other exotics by rescue so if you have any animal rescue places you may be able to get them free and give a home to some new chickens!

posted on Nov, 13 2015 @ 04:06 PM
link   
a reply to: SeaWorthy

Hey, that is actually quite smart of an idea!

posted on Nov, 13 2015 @ 04:13 PM
link   

Wow! I'm so sorry! That sounds like a horrible experience! Everyone should contain their own animals.

posted on Nov, 13 2015 @ 04:17 PM
link   
a reply to: AccessDenied

Labs are hunting dogs.

That happened to my moms chickens, many years ago now...and it was a Lab that did it.

That truly sucks. My mom was very upset, I think she wanted to kill that dog with her bare hands. I do know she went down the street and tore strips off the dogs owner.

Those chickens saved us so much money, and like that rooster, provided free entertainment. It cost a bit of money to replace them.

posted on Nov, 13 2015 @ 04:43 PM
link   
I don't know where you live but I live in the country and we have quite a few clever predators about. I think the most clever and the most destructive has to be the Florida Mink.

Weasels are bad but the Mink is well know for killing more than it can eat. They have even been known to undo latches. They can do a lot of damage in a very short amount of time.

We have no shortage of natural predators out here. That is why my neighbor gave up on her free ranging venture. Between the birds of prey, the fox, the bobcat, the Florida Panthers, and Luna, her pet wolf hybrid, (that is a story for a whole other time), she kept losing her chickens, though she never lost any in mass, when they were free ranging. I guess it is easier for them to get away when they can run and hide. I don't know.

posted on Nov, 13 2015 @ 04:51 PM
link   

[SNIP]. It is tough to lose pets under any circumstances, let alone at the hands or paws of a sweet Labrador.

My best friend growing up had a golden retriever and Goldy was the sweetest dog ever, but once in a while she would just deposit little presents on the back deck near the pool.

This was not a vindictive act, it was irresponsible of the owner, but you did everything you could do. Hopefully, you did not have to witness the carnage.

[SNIP]
edit on 13-11-2015 by burdman30ott6 because: Play the ball, not the player.

posted on Nov, 13 2015 @ 05:14 PM
link   

That is really sad, sorry for your loss!

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join