It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Question about clothing options for Mars

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 13 2015 @ 02:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: NowWhat
Thanks for the answers, very enlightening.

You know how it is when you're packing at the last minute, bound to forget something…
I'm only going to bring one pair of cut-offs. I figure I can always cut more of my pants to make more shorts if I need them.

That's the spirit!! A nice pastel polo shirt and some comfortable shoes; you should be fine in almost any Martian setting.

posted on Nov, 13 2015 @ 02:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: aorAki

(after the missiles containing gasses and plant life have annihilated the surface

If the surface is annihilated, what would be the point of going there?

However, it would appear that this style would be de rigueur:

That guy looks in a mirror every morning and says "Im going to be a martian today" because.. he can't think "I need milk for my cornflakes, and I'm almost out of coffee.."

Some life forms are just so alien...

posted on Nov, 13 2015 @ 02:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: Blue Shift

originally posted by: MrMasterMinder
I like this.

So, clothing options on Mars = clothing optional?

They don't call it the "red" planet for nothing, you know !!

Oo

posted on Nov, 13 2015 @ 02:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus
a reply to: olaru12

Men should not wear Capri pants.

Ever. Even on Mars.

*takes of capri pants*

Why not?

It matches my polo shirt in it's clash of fashion. Pessimist.

posted on Nov, 13 2015 @ 02:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: laminatedsoul

*takes of capri pants*

Why not?

By all means, leave them on, I just ordered you some mandals and a murse.

posted on Nov, 13 2015 @ 02:55 PM
link   
mars, damn you mason for linking me to the sun one earlier..

do they make mars dresses?

edit on 13-11-2015 by laminatedsoul because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 13 2015 @ 02:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

originally posted by: laminatedsoul

*takes of capri pants*

Why not?

By all means, leave them on, I just ordered you some mandals and a murse.

Pretty soon, I'll be in the news, Look at moi Look at moi !!!

Standing up for man's inability to even fashion !!

posted on Nov, 13 2015 @ 03:04 PM
link   
a reply to: NowWhat

To terraform Mars successfully we would need to create a magnetosphere, it is possible using technology to produce the necessary magnetic fields to protect the planet enough for it to hold onto an atmosphere but it would require a hell of a large amount of work.

Mars used to have a nice active core with an active magnetosphere much like the earth but smaller due to the planets smaller mass but two thing's have happened, the smaller planet has irradiated more of it's heat into space and so the core has cooled and also there may be evidence of a large disruption to the core which may also have caused it to fail and so allowed mars magnetosphere to die almost entirely, Olympus mons is not the largest known volcano for no reason, something pretty catastrophic happened to mars and it may be a result of an impact on the other side of the planet, the valles marineris may also be a crack in the crust caused by this massive movement of mass within the planet and may suggest that the core may literally have been knocked sideways within the planet by some external influence be that a gravity field passing close or a large impact on the opposite side of the planet to the giant volcano and this may have helped to disrupt and even kill mars magnetosphere.

There is probably sufficient material on the planet to produce an atmosphere but once again that is a massive job to undertake but the idea of bombing the planet with gas filled rockets would not be feasible as were would we get that gas from, mining asteroids rich in water and/or moving them to mars to deliver there payload to the martian surface could work but would not be idea.

As for clothing, well we would likely dwell in biospheres, large domes to keep the radiation out and let the light in which sealing a higher pressure and breathable atmosphere within them so clothing outside those biospheres would likely be a space suit or at least a radiation shielded environment suit.

edit on 13-11-2015 by LABTECH767 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 13 2015 @ 03:34 PM
link   

I know Mars is probably cold, but it also has a thin atmosphere.
I guess if we were to go there
(after the missiles containing gasses and plant life have annihilated the surface and time has elapsed and now there is a thriving oxygen plentiful, vegetive environment suitable for us to walk around and breath the clean fresh Martian air)

I guess my question is, could you wear shorts, like biker shorts or short-shorts or would you still get burned up by solar rays?

I know its Friday,

Wow. Thanks so much for another idiotic attempt at a thread.
edit on 13-11-2015 by Iamnotadoctor because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 13 2015 @ 04:33 PM
link   
What is the atmospheric pressure? If it was too low, your blood would be bubbling like champagne.

You would probably need a pressurized suit everywhere.

posted on Nov, 13 2015 @ 04:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: Blue Shift
During summer on the Martian equator it gets to be about 70 degrees Fahrenheit. That's not too bad. I suppose as long as you had a decent helmet with oxygen, you could probably get by with wearing shorts and a t-shirt, but you're gonna get sunburned pretty bad.

Oh, ok. Thanks for that. I wasn't sure.

posted on Nov, 13 2015 @ 04:46 PM
link   
I'd recommend reading Red Mars, Green Mars, and Blue Mars. In that order!

Its a fiction trilogy about terraforming mars with some interesting ideas.

As far as the clothing, it was a thin heated suit. If you had a tear or rip you'd get frostbitten, but nothing fatal.

posted on Nov, 13 2015 @ 04:56 PM
link   
My advice for clothing on Mars would be the same as my advice for clothing for Anywhere.

A nice thick pair of socks and comfortable boots. If you're feet are dry and cosy, then you're dry and cosy.

A vest wouldn't hurt either. Keeps you warm in cold weather and can be worn as an outer garment when the Sun comes out.

posted on Nov, 13 2015 @ 05:17 PM
link   
a reply to: NowWhat

From my understanding, it gets pretty cold out there, and the winds can make it even more cold.

I'd definitely recommend good layered desert-wear for subzero temps, and a cool pair of goggles in case the dust particulates pick up. Head wraps are important and also friendly colors to let the martians know you come in peace. They're nice, but you should probably invest in a up to date manual of how to properly greet and parlay with the locals.

Oh wait....wrong Mars....I was thinking of the Southwest at night again.
Derp.

I don't know about the actual planet Mars.
I'm stuck in imagination land again.
DIfferent world out there in space.
Might wanna listen to the scientists.

edit on 11/13/15 by GENERAL EYES because: derp I'm a goofball when it comes to Mars...

posted on Nov, 16 2015 @ 03:25 PM
link   
a reply to: crayzeed

You would need a good hoodie. Probably made of lead.

So it wouldn't be no different than here in the US in certain areas with cops?

Yeah, shorts not recommended for mars.

posted on Nov, 17 2015 @ 05:08 PM
link   
You'd need a pressure suit (with an oxygen supply of course), otherwise your blood will start boiling. Being on Mars is like being in the Earth's upper atmosphere.

I'd wear what Felix Baumgartner wore when he made that jump. www.youtube.com...

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join