It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rapidly Melting Glacier Will Raise Sea Levels 'For Decades To Come'

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 17 2015 @ 09:11 PM
link   
a reply to: soficrow

Before you have a nervous breakdown - please understand that the sea level has been rising since the Holocene era. If there was absolutley no global warming, these people would still be forced to abandon their homes in 5-10 years anyway.

Tired of Control Freaks

posted on Nov, 17 2015 @ 10:07 PM
link   
a reply to: TiredofControlFreaks

please understand that the sea level has been rising since the Holocene era.

I presume you mean since the beginning of the Holocene. Your claim is incorrect. If sea levels had been rising for the past 12,000 years, they would be a lot higher than they are now.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

edit on 11/17/2015 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 18 2015 @ 09:05 AM
link   
a reply to: Phage

I appreciate your demand for exactitude in language.

However, the fact remains that we are in an interglacial period and ongoing warming is a certain until the next glacial age (which WILL happen). Glaciers will melt, sea levels will rise and people will have to adapt to nature.

The PTB are planning for people to take action to control nature and they are being foolish. the Island people currently facing having to move, would have met the same fate sooner or later, whether or not the industrial age ever happened.

Tired of Control Freaks

posted on Nov, 18 2015 @ 10:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: TiredofControlFreaks

Before you have a nervous breakdown

How rude - and off the mark. You refer to my correcting a poster's misinformation:

ManBehindTheMask:

polar ice caps are gaining ice

soficrow:
Polar ice caps are losing ice overall.

Feb. 10, 2015

NASA Study Shows Global Sea Ice Diminishing, Despite Antarctic Gains

Sea ice increases in Antarctica do not make up for the accelerated Arctic sea ice loss of the last decades, a new NASA study finds. As a whole, the planet has been shedding sea ice at an average annual rate of 13,500 square miles (35,000 square kilometers) since 1979, the equivalent of losing an area of sea ice larger than the state of Maryland every year.

posted on Nov, 18 2015 @ 10:45 AM
link   

I beg your humble pardon, soficrow!

I had intended to speak with Jrod and his comment regarding the Karibou? Islands

Tired of Control Freaks

posted on Nov, 18 2015 @ 12:25 PM
link   
Resort to ridicule and name calling I see. No reasonable reader will take you seriously when you resort to low blows to make your point.

The sun is actually cooling, we should be seeing a slight cooling on Earth, at least if you want to believe what I consider expert opinions from posters like mbkennel.

Now you cannot deny there is a warming trend you insist it must be a natural occurrence, completely ignoring the plethora of evidence that human activity is a major player in the warming trend we are observing.

edit on 18-11-2015 by jrod because: typo

edit on 18-11-2015 by jrod because: ,

posted on Nov, 18 2015 @ 01:43 PM
link   
So...just so that I/we can know; How much has the sea level risen in say...my lifetime (about 70 yrs)?

From all the "pro" talk, it would appear that has been some feet? Or has it been fractions of an inch?

posted on Nov, 18 2015 @ 01:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage

please understand that the sea level has been rising since the Holocene era.

I presume you mean since the beginning of the Holocene. Your claim is incorrect. If sea levels had been rising for the past 12,000 years, they would be a lot higher than they are now.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Just a short "logic check" for ya...

The period discussed here is "since the end" of the last great ice age...or about the past 11,500 years...

Given that prior to that epoch, most of the Northern Hemisphere was covered by a rather thick ice sheet...wouldn't it e reasonable to conclude that the ocean levels have been increasing since that epoch?...

n other words; "Tired of Control Freaks" is correct, and it is you that is in error...

I just love how any of y'all try to correct the "misinformation" of others with utter BS.

Given some of the events of 11,500 years ago; it would almost seem that this whole "global warming" trend started back then, and has slowed considerably over time...

posted on Nov, 18 2015 @ 02:01 PM
link   
1. ) What is the perfect climate?

2.) How do we install a thermostat to insure that the earth never leaves it?

3.) How do we know for certain what is and is not natural since we don't fully understand all the mechanisms at work in the climate?

4.) Assuming we do install our thermostat and halt climate at the perfect setting, what does this mean for evolution since the pressure to adapt to, among other things, climate pressures is one of its main drivers?

posted on Nov, 18 2015 @ 02:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
1. ) What is the perfect climate?

2.) How do we install a thermostat to insure that the earth never leaves it?

3.) How do we know for certain what is and is not natural since we don't fully understand all the mechanisms at work in the climate?

4.) Assuming we do install our thermostat and halt climate at the perfect setting, what does this mean for evolution since the pressure to adapt to, among other things, climate pressures is one of its main drivers?

That's pretty easy. Try living in Vegas in the summer and then imagine a few degrees hotter. That's unbearable. It's so hot that i'm moving away soon. Considering that this is the hottest summer on Record we just had here and we know we've had a steady increase in temp in the past few decades overall. According to NASA. If you don't trust NASA on this then we shouldn't trust them on anything including the Moon Landings. We can't cherry pick. Either we believe them or we don't.

Most Climate change global warming stuff, besides curbing emmissions is seeing possible threats and responding. Such as sea level rise and increasing destruction from storms and drought. That could mean building a sea wall in Manhattan or no below sea level new construction in New Orleans or planning for drought in California so that we have irrigation in place and our food prices don't go up. Just common sense stuff.

posted on Nov, 18 2015 @ 02:09 PM
link   
a reply to: amazing

No see, if everything isn't all blowing up and going to # at once then it isn't really happening. This gradual stuff and applying piecemeal solutions as they start springing up doesn't cut. At least that's the tone I get from deniers about this.

posted on Nov, 18 2015 @ 05:13 PM
link   

lol. Happens.

posted on Nov, 18 2015 @ 05:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: tanka418
So...just so that I/we can know; How much has the sea level risen in say...my lifetime (about 70 yrs)?

Apparently the rise is far greater at the Equator, as the Earth is not a perfect sphere and tends to 'bulge' in the middle. Not sure, but I think most references refer to the averages so the info provided is not that useful - especially when your home has already been flooded and/or submerged.

The US burial grounds on the Maldive Islands were submerged within the last 20 years I believe, major flooding and parts of Kiribati being submerged is more recent, Tuvalu landmass loss is recent too - and loss of arable land to salinization from flooding is new, and major.

From the International business Times:

Even Fiji has been forced to move its own citizens from low-lying areas. The cost of relocating three villages was about $2 million. But with an estimated 45 other communities likely to need resettling in the next 10 years, the government doesn’t have sufficient funds to continue such making such moves, the South Pacific island nation recently warned.

...The Maldives has constructed an artificial island and created a sovereign wealth fund that could be used to buy land elsewhere.

In contrast, Tuvalu, with a population of a little more than 10,000, has left the decision about whether to migrate to its citizens, with some of them taking advantage of an agreement with New Zealand that allows 75 people to emigrate there every year. ...

...In addition to increasing sea levels, islands in the Pacific and Indian oceans are now faced with a lack of arable land because of the salination of soil. Big cyclones and typhoons have also wreaked havoc in recent years.

...“The big question: Who, then, is responsible for the people and for the small island states that are most severely affected?” asked Kathleen Newland, a co-founder and senior fellow at the Migration Policy Institute, a think tank based in Washington. “Relocation seems to be the only possibility.”

Now is the time to discuss coordination and plan for what could be the next refugee crisis, said Simati, the Tuvalu permanent representative to the U.N. who has already witnessed small islets disappearing in his native country. He hopes global leaders will commit to an ambitious target in Paris.

Other than that, why don't you check with Phage?

posted on Nov, 19 2015 @ 12:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: jrod
Resort to ridicule and name calling I see. No reasonable reader will take you seriously when you resort to low blows to make your point.

The sun is actually cooling, we should be seeing a slight cooling on Earth, at least if you want to believe what I consider expert opinions from posters like mbkenn

I don't know about that---it's that we are on the downside of the Milankovitch orbital cycles. Forcing from this peaked at about 6000-8000 BC, around the "Holocene Maximum" in temperature (which will soon, if not already be the "Holocene first Maximum"). So roughly yes solar/astronomical forcing is declining.

I'm not an expert. The people who work on this for a living and work at the top level on the planet are experts. I have enough background to understand the easier bits of their papers.
edit on 19-11-2015 by mbkennel because: (no reason given)

edit on 19-11-2015 by mbkennel because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 20 2015 @ 09:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: soficrow
Other than that, why don't you check with Phage

so that would be "I don't know."

That's okay man, I've finished the control I was working on for now, so I have a minute...

It appears that the "sea level rise" has been measured since 1993 with an average rise of 3mm (rounding up) per year.

So...over that time (23 years) the sea levels have risen about 2.7 inches...

3 inches more water in my bath tub is significant, given the right circumstance 3 inches more or less water in a major lake may incite some interest...however, 3 inches in the oceans, should be barely noticeable, and much more importantly; easy to manage...

All this alarm seems much more like the water management here during the drought...virtually non-existent, and cause for much alarm and emergency...BUT...that is a management issue, not a climate one!

edit on 20-11-2015 by tanka418 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 20 2015 @ 10:37 AM
link   

...It appears that the "sea level rise" has been measured since 1993 with an average rise of 3mm (rounding up) per year.

3 inches more water in my bath tub is significant, given the right circumstance 3 inches more or less water in a major lake may incite some interest...however, 3 inches in the oceans, should be barely noticeable, and much more importantly; easy to manage...

Cool edit. Not. Again - the rise is far greater at the Equator, as the Earth is not a perfect sphere and tends to 'bulge' in the middle - most references refer to the averages so "on average" info is not that useful or relevant - especially when your home has already been flooded and/or submerged.

The US burial grounds on the Maldive Islands were submerged within the last 20 years I believe, major flooding and parts of Kiribati being submerged is more recent, Tuvalu landmass loss is recent too - and loss of arable land to salinization from flooding is new, and major.

edit on 20/11/15 by soficrow because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 20 2015 @ 01:55 PM
link   

...It appears that the "sea level rise" has been measured since 1993 with an average rise of 3mm (rounding up) per year.

Cool edit. Not. Again - the rise is far greater at the Equator, as the Earth is not a perfect sphere and tends to 'bulge' in the middle - most references refer to the averages so "on average" info is not that useful or relevant - especially when your home has already been flooded and/or submerged.

Yes, I'm sure that the actual value, measured at the equator, as contrasted with the "poles" is, different...

However; you do know what "average" means right? As it is actually the "arithmetic mean" we are talking about...

In mathematics and statistics, the arithmetic mean (pronunciation: /ˌærɪθˈmɛtɪk ˈmiːn/, stress on third syllable of "arithmetic"), or simply the mean or average when the context is clear, is the sum of a collection of numbers divided by the number of numbers in the collection.[1] The collection is often a set of results of an experiment, or a set of results from a survey. The term "arithmetic mean" is preferred in some contexts in mathematics and statistics because it helps distinguish it from other means, such as the geometric mean and the harmonic mean.
-- en.wikipedia.org...

because of the actual mechanics of water distribution around our wee planet, that "rise" can not be more than perhaps 5 inches at it's largest...at least right now...

So...it might begin to appear that your "arable land" perhaps, wasn't so arable after all...it seems that there was significantly "brackish" water just below the surface to degrade the usefulness as farm land.

So, your argument about how Earth isn't a "perfect sphere" actually is rather meaningless

posted on Nov, 20 2015 @ 02:37 PM
link   
a reply to: tanka418
You are wrong....look at the Maldives and a few other low laying islands near the equator.

It appears you are just pulling numbers from your hindside here.

We are strarting to see the effects of sea level rise already, all actual scientific research suggests this will be continue to be a problem.

Easy for someone who lives indoors in a climate controlled environment to ignore and pretend there is no problem. Impossible for someone like myself who witnesses what appears to be a rising sea and coastal flooding issues hete in South Florida.

PS, if your opinion held any merit. wouldn't the equator and the poles also experience the same tidal differences? (hint...they do not)
edit on 20-11-2015 by jrod because: ps

posted on Nov, 20 2015 @ 02:43 PM
link   
a reply to: mbkennel
Thanks for your input, while you may not consider yourself an expert, I find your posts full of relevant information that is backed by science.

It may have been on skepticalscience where I read that we should be observing a slight cooling effect due to astronomical affects.

posted on Nov, 20 2015 @ 03:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: jrod
a reply to: tanka418
You are wrong....look at the Maldives and a few other low laying islands near the equator.

It appears you are just pulling numbers from your hindside here.

Sorry man...I'm using the same numbers you are...I just interpret them using logic, and science.

IF they are in error...we are both wrong!

We are strarting to see the effects of sea level rise already, all actual scientific research suggests this will be continue to be a problem.

Easy for someone who lives indoors in a climate controlled environment to ignore and pretend there is no problem. Impossible for someone like myself who witnesses what appears to be a rising sea and coastal flooding issues hete in South Florida.

PS, if your opinion held any merit. wouldn't the equator and the poles also experience the same tidal differences? (hint...they do not)

So...now who's pulling crap out their backside? You may want to actually apply some logic to that final statement of yours!

Actually, One should be using every bit of the science, and math they have learned...they will help you to properly understand this.

I wasn't able to easily find actual numbers for the local sea level rise in South Florida...do you have those numbers?

I also noticed that some of the "predictions" don't quite seem in line with the observed reality...it would appear that either your scientists are trying to cause undue alarm, or are wholly ignorant of how One extrapolates such things...course it could also be that they are using some "unknown" / "hidden" data...if this is the case; they should release it.

In the final analysis; you still have only a natural phenomena, as contrasted with something "human" caused.

Perhaps you should also understand that my only objection is the root cause . I do not doubt the warming of Earth, or the melting of Ice, and rise of sea levels...These are however natural events...

edit on 20-11-2015 by tanka418 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9 >>

join