It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rapidly Melting Glacier Will Raise Sea Levels 'For Decades To Come'

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 13 2015 @ 07:18 AM
link   
Rapidly Melting Glacier Will Raise Sea Levels 'For Decades To Come'

Global warming is claiming yet another massive glacier in Greenland, causing it to crumble into the Atlantic Ocean at an alarming rate.

The Zachariae Isstrom glacier in northeast Greenland entered a "phase of accelerated retreat" in 2012 and is now losing its mass at a rate of 5 billion tons per year, according to a new study published in the journal Science.

In a press release, the study's lead author, Jeremie Mouginot, an associate project scientist at the University of California, Irvine, said the glaciers in North Greenland are changing "rapidly" and that the Zachariae Isstrom retreat "will result in rising sea levels for decades to come."

While there is no timeframe for how long a full melt would take, scientists warn such an event would raise global sea levels by more than 18 inches.

More real-time evidence of man made climate change and global warming. This isn't a model. This is happening NOW. Though I'm sure there will people who will come in and angrily tell me that there is nothing to see here. Global Warming CAN'T be real, after all there was that fake controversy a while back where a bunch of scientists were manipulating data. Right? Yea, well how do you manipulate this?

posted on Nov, 13 2015 @ 07:24 AM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

Global Warming CAN'T be real, after all there was that fake controversy a while back where a bunch of scientists were manipulating data. Right?

An oracle you are, surely!

posted on Nov, 13 2015 @ 07:27 AM
link   
a reply to: greencmp

I know I try. So about this melting glacier. Do you think that is adequate evidence of global warming or is this "nothing to see here"?

posted on Nov, 13 2015 @ 07:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

I know I try. So about this melting glacier. Do you think that is adequate evidence of global warming or is this "nothing to see here"?

Just making conversation, the invitation to quote your anticipated proclamation was too great to resist.

posted on Nov, 13 2015 @ 07:33 AM
link   

I'm good. I'm not trying to be rude; I'd still like to get your opinion on the thread though.

+6 more 
posted on Nov, 13 2015 @ 07:41 AM
link   

This started melting in 2012, here we are, four years later and there hasn't been any rise in the oceans yet. Why is that?

And why do you consider this proof that it's due to "man made" warming?

posted on Nov, 13 2015 @ 07:46 AM
link   

I'm good. I'm not trying to be rude; I'd still like to get your opinion on the thread though.

Well, it always comes down to my lack of confidence in the non-solutions proposed by unscientists.

Obviously, I'm being a little obtuse but, without China and India on board with whatever totalitarian regimen is decided most useful to inflict on the American people, it's simply a moot point.

Nobody should be happy with pollution and we did a great job mitigating it over the last century.

There will always be improvements to processes, we will continue that trend away from waste.

posted on Nov, 13 2015 @ 07:50 AM
link   
a reply to: KawRider9

Maybe because the world's oceans are a rather big place and 15 billion tons of water (3 years at 5 billion tons a year) disperses rather easily among all that water. The world's oceans weigh 1,450,000,000,000,000,000 tons (that's 1.45*10^18 tons). 15 billion tons is less than a fraction of a percent of that total amount. That's simple math right there.

Besides there is this. Sea level rise.

Sea level rise has been estimated to be on average between +2.6 mm and +2.9 mm per year ± 0.4 mm since 1993. Additionally, sea level rise has accelerated in recent years.[2] For the period between 1870 and 2004, global average sea levels are estimated to have risen a total of 195 mm, and 1.7 mm ± 0.3 mm per year, with a significant acceleration of sea-level rise of 0.013 ± 0.006 mm per year per year. If this acceleration would stay constant, the 1990 to 2100 sea level rise would range from 280 to 340 mm.[3] Another study calculated the period from 1950 to 2009, and measurements show an average annual rise in sea level of 1.7 ± 0.3 mm per year, with satellite data showing a rise of 3.3 ± 0.4 mm per year from 1993 to 2009.[4] Sea level rise is one of several lines of evidence that support the view that the global climate has recently warmed.[5]

So even your claim about "hasn't been any rise in the oceans yet" is false.

As for why this is proof that it's due to man made warming, what else would it be? The natural climate doesn't change as abruptly as we are seeing it change in front of us.
edit on 13-11-2015 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 13 2015 @ 07:50 AM
link   
Well we get a little reprieve here as it is currently -46 in Summit Greenland.
Looking for a high of -30 today.

www.wunderground.com...

It has happened before, 400,000 years ago.

news.discovery.com...

13-20' Rise if the whole ice sheet collapsed.

posted on Nov, 13 2015 @ 07:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: greencmp

Well, it always comes down to my lack of confidence in the non-solutions proposed by unscientists.

Obviously, I'm being a little obtuse but, without China and India on board with whatever totalitarian regimen is decided most useful to inflict on the American people, it's simply a moot point.

First off, China is starting to come around. China Shows It’s Getting Serious About Climate Change. As is India. India unveils climate change plan

Second off, just because those two countries may not be up to speed doesn't mean WE can't do something to curb our own carbon output. Which is better X amount of carbon being dumped into the atmosphere or X-Y amount of carbon dumped in the atmosphere (where Y is the reduction that the US achieves)?

This is the same conversation we had yesterday; just a different topic this time. You seem to think that because perfection cannot be reached, then it isn't worth attempting.

Nobody should be happy with pollution and we did a great job mitigating it over the last century.

There will always be improvements to processes, we will continue that trend away from waste.

I hope so, but clearly we aren't doing enough yet.
edit on 13-11-2015 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 13 2015 @ 07:57 AM
link   

No, most certainly not. The direct correlation you are attempting to make is spurious.

posted on Nov, 13 2015 @ 07:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: nfflhome
Well we get a little reprieve here as it is currently -46 in Summit Greenland.
Looking for a high of -30 today.

www.wunderground.com...

It has happened before, 400,000 years ago.

news.discovery.com...

13-20' Rise if the whole ice sheet collapsed.

Please don't compare weather to climate...

posted on Nov, 13 2015 @ 07:59 AM
link   
Its amazing that environments can change over long periods of time isn't it OP?

Why don't you protest to China about all their pollution, I'm sure they will agree to your demands. I'm sorry man, but everybody hypes up the global warming doom and gloom all the time, and scientists have been caught manipulating statistics to push an agenda. You're going to be hard pressed to sell tickets to the global warming hype train.

You can't stop whats going on, so just do your part to minimize it. Enjoy life.
edit on 11/13/2015 by eXia7 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 13 2015 @ 07:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: greencmp

No, most certainly not. The direct correlation you are attempting to make is spurious.

Well that is the best real-time evidence I can produce. I can also produce data, charts, and projections, but people like to throw that out the window by saying it is manipulated or that the projections aren't coming true. Even though THIS is one of the very projections that supposedly isn't coming true.

The point is, that just THIS isn't the only evidence of climate change. This is just more of the same. It along with tons of other real time climate change activity, data, ice core samples, and climate tracking all say the same thing. This thread is just about this particular event though.

posted on Nov, 13 2015 @ 08:07 AM
link   
I accept the evidence, but not the assumption that changing the shorelines much disrupts things. We develop further in land and life goes on. Some areas have major disruptions where the average elevation of land is close to sealevel while other areas are wholly unaffected.

posted on Nov, 13 2015 @ 08:09 AM
link   
I wish i understood the choices, its about greed nothing else.

+1 more 
posted on Nov, 13 2015 @ 08:15 AM
link   

There are geological studies that show the Earths temperature has fluctuated over the last 5 million years as we come to the end of the last ice age , technically we are still in an ice age and some scientist believe the next one is approaching and we are currently in an inter-glacial period which could account for the fluctuations.

I believe the bulk of what we consider as global warming is out of our control and caused by the cycles of the planet , I also believe it is being used as a tool by governments of the world to raise taxes and that much of the science behind it is flawed , I don't think the sky is falling in.
As for the Zachariae Isstrom glacier we will have to wait and see but I wouldn't be surprised if in a few years it's discovered to be growing again or at least stopped shrinking.

posted on Nov, 13 2015 @ 08:52 AM
link   

More real-time evidence of man made climate change and global warming. This isn't a model. This is happening NOW.

This is NOT evidence of man-made climate change. It doesn't prove causation.

posted on Nov, 13 2015 @ 09:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: gortex

There are geological studies that show the Earths temperature has fluctuated over the last 5 million years as we come to the end of the last ice age , technically we are still in an ice age and some scientist believe the next one is approaching and we are currently in an inter-glacial period which could account for the fluctuations.

I believe the bulk of what we consider as global warming is out of our control and caused by the cycles of the planet , I also believe it is being used as a tool by governments of the world to raise taxes and that much of the science behind it is flawed , I don't think the sky is falling in.
As for the Zachariae Isstrom glacier we will have to wait and see but I wouldn't be surprised if in a few years it's discovered to be growing again or at least stopped shrinking.

You believe these things? Why does belief matter? What about objective evidence that tells you otherwise? Why does your beliefs trump this data?

posted on Nov, 13 2015 @ 09:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus

More real-time evidence of man made climate change and global warming. This isn't a model. This is happening NOW.

This is NOT evidence of man-made climate change. It doesn't prove causation.

So how exactly does one prove it then? You guys don't trust the data because you want to believe the right wing media was telling the truth with the Climategate scandal. You don't trust the predictions because according to right wing media they are never true. And now you can't trust real time causes of it that are CONFIRMING those predictions.

It's like a giant circle of cognitive dissonance...

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join