It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can you own a grenade launcher in the US?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
CX

posted on Nov, 13 2015 @ 07:17 AM
link   
Hi all,

A question for my US friends here if that's ok....the other night I watched an episode of the US series "American Guns". Not sure how the programme is viewed ove there, I might just watch it for a bit of light entertainment at night if nothing else is on.

Anyway, the episode showed them making a custom AR10 for a lady, but as requested, they put a M203 grenade launcher on it. The episode is on YouTube, I can't link it from my phone, it's the episode with the avalanche gun and the weapon in question is about three quarters way through.

Now whilst I do sometimes raise an English eyebrow at the fact that you can own more "exotic" weaponry than we even had access to in the forces, I respect that that's the way you do things there and that's that.

I just wondered about the legality of certain types of firearm, especially something like a grenade launcher. There has to be more to it, but I just had visions of anyone with the money being able to legally buy one.

Again, this isn't a "You lot should and shouldn't have this", just a curious question.

Cheers.

CX

posted on Nov, 13 2015 @ 07:19 AM
link   
a reply to: CX

Yes you can, you will just not be able to find any ammunition for it is all.

They do make a flare that launches out of the M203 for those who want to actually have it function.
edit on 11/13/2015 by SpaDe_ because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 13 2015 @ 07:20 AM
link   

Constitutionally speaking, I don't believe there are any weapon systems that wouldn't qualify as "arms".
edit on 13-11-2015 by greencmp because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 13 2015 @ 07:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: SpaDe_

Yes you can, you will just not be able to find any ammunition for it is all.

Ammo is gettable. All weapons, or "destructuve devices " require a federal license and an explosives bunker approved by atf. (Full auto, explosives, etc)

All listed items must be renewed annually. The cost is surprisingly cheap, for the license, but the goods themselves are crazy expensive.

There are over 3000 registered hand granades in Florida alone.

posted on Nov, 13 2015 @ 07:25 AM
link   

We can own any weaponry we want. However, the licensing, cost and regulations you have to go through make it not worth the BS.

posted on Nov, 13 2015 @ 07:29 AM
link   

I see them for sale in some of my facebook groups and sometimes at the local gun shows/swaps. I'm guessing you would need a specific firearms license to own one legally. It's not a common item and i doubt you will ever see them for sale in walmart. I have never seen the actual rounds for sale.

posted on Nov, 13 2015 @ 07:41 AM
link   
You can buy a new MLR Slam Fire 37mm launcher for $99.00
There are reloading kits for 37mm rounds available for sale, but if you possess anything but smoke or flare rounds, you need NFA paperwork for it, to the best of my knowledge.

posted on Nov, 13 2015 @ 07:49 AM
link   

You would need a class 3 license, along with an ATF tax stamp. The Tax stamp can take months to get, for example: it took me 9 months to get mine.

CX

posted on Nov, 13 2015 @ 07:52 AM
link   
Thanks for clearing that up, very interesting.

CX.

posted on Nov, 13 2015 @ 01:01 PM
link   

Sure I have one for my SKS, boy howdy can I launch the heck out of golf balls with it too.

Note: My weapon is pre-ban and was configured with it by the manufacturer. Just to be clear.
edit on 13-11-2015 by sycomix because: Added note

posted on Nov, 13 2015 @ 01:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: slapjacks

You would need a class 3 license, along with an ATF tax stamp. The Tax stamp can take months to get, for example: it took me 9 months to get mine.

A class 3 license is not required to own any weapon. That license is only required to sell those types of weapons. Any US citizen who can pass the ATF tax stamp back ground check can get an automatic weapon or whatever. The stamps are $250.00 per occurance so say an automatic gun with a less than 16 inch barrel would take two stamps. one for the sear that makes it automatic and one for the short barrel. some gun combos can have a few stamps for it they have a several parts that need to be registered.

Now even though the cost of the stamp and the time to wait is not a big deal the post/pre ban is what gets ya. Basically all automatic weapons available to the public stopped production in 1991. So if you want a automatic gun and you are not the military or law enforcement you can only choose from guns that are pre ban. What this has done is drove the price of those guns WAY up. For example if I want an auto AR-15 I have to find one pre ban get a back ground check and tax stamp. Because the AR-15 would be preban its price would be around 10k and up where as a law enforcement agency could buy the gun brand new post ban for around $700.00

Does this clarify what it takes and why it is so expensive?

posted on Nov, 13 2015 @ 01:43 PM
link   

No...but just travel to Pakistan. You can shoot cows with Rocket Launchers and chickens with a .50cal.

posted on Nov, 13 2015 @ 01:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: DrumStickNinja

No...but just travel to Pakistan. You can shoot cows with Rocket Launchers and chickens with a .50cal.

You don't have to travel to Pakistan to shot animals with a .50. Just take a look at these unlucky goats....

WARNING MAY BE NASTY AND AWESOME!!!!

posted on Nov, 13 2015 @ 03:21 PM
link   
Yes, as someone else stated above. If you are willing to pay the fees/taxes and go through the process, you can buy a full auto weapon and silencers/suppressors from a class III firearms dealer. I have purchased a few suppressors over the years without issue. I do own 2 full auto weapons but I do not have a 203 or 37mm launcher. Never really felt like I needed one I guess! Fun to shoot, but ammo gets expensive when you are full auto, it goes fast. Carry on....
edit on 13-11-2015 by BugOut because: error

posted on Nov, 13 2015 @ 04:26 PM
link   
you really think the # 1 arms supplier in the world would have have issues letting of its of age constituents not be allowed to own any arms they want?

just pay some fees, and you're all set to protect yourself or whatever else guns come up in the news for these days.

posted on Nov, 13 2015 @ 06:05 PM
link   
In addition there are state and local regulations concerning what type of weapons one may possess

Often have to register them and get permission of local police agency (which often is not given)

posted on Nov, 13 2015 @ 06:26 PM
link   
Why pray tell would you want one for? Why don't you just get a cat?

posted on Nov, 13 2015 @ 11:22 PM
link   

I lolled at your thread title. Dear Santa, I would like a grenade launcher for Christmas. That is all.

posted on Nov, 13 2015 @ 11:28 PM
link   
38mm, But no grenades without destructive device license. RPG7 would be more fun

203s suck, i had to pack one in Germany, as i was the driver on the Vulcan. I was always trading with my crew when i would go to chow in the field..Lol
edit on 13-11-2015 by SPECULUM because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 21 2015 @ 05:26 PM
link   
Woah, nice question!

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join