It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Where does the fear of Friday the 13th come from?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 13 2015 @ 12:07 AM
link   
I've heard the number 13 is considered unlucky because early man could count easily to 12, using his ten fingers and two feet and that led to the number 13 being unlucky.

I've heard that Friday the 13th as an unlucky day goes back to the day the Knights Templar were slaughtered.

There are dozens of reasons why people may have reason to think Friday the 13th is unlucky, what's your take?
edit on 13-11-2015 by abe froman because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 13 2015 @ 12:32 AM
link   
i am unsure if this is even a reliable site but i found some superstitions on it, not what i was looking for though i will keep looking it has something to do with the norse gods and a curse for the one that was uninvited www.ibtimes.com...

posted on Nov, 13 2015 @ 12:33 AM
link   
a reply to: abe froman
I've always understood the reasoning to be that Jesus was crucified on a Friday, and there were thirteen people at the Last Supper (which is also the reason why it is "bad luck" to have thirteen seated at a table).

I think the historical reasons for thirteen being unlucky go back to astronomy.
There are approximately twelve moon cycles in a year, and that was enough to make twelve a "sacred" number in ancient culture.
Since "twelve months a year" is not quite accurate, it was sometimes necessary to add in a thirteenth month to keep the calendar straight. That month might be regarded as taboo.
So "thirteen" is unlucky because it goes one beyond the sacred number twelve.

edit on 13-11-2015 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 13 2015 @ 12:38 AM
link   
a reply to: DISRAELI

well chistianism just explains everything even though it hasn't been around that long....

posted on Nov, 13 2015 @ 12:40 AM
link   
a reply to: malevolent
My second paragraph was going back beyond the Bible.
"Twelve" as a sacred number can be found in the culture of the Greeks and Romans (e.g. there were supposed to be twelve gods in Olympus).
This is called "using history to explain things".

posted on Nov, 13 2015 @ 12:50 AM
link   
a reply to: DISRAELI

yeah my bad i started to get irate for something else. my apologies i went on the defensive like that. i found he story i was looking for the gods had a feast however loki crashed it thats all i wish to share.

posted on Nov, 13 2015 @ 01:26 AM
link   
I would say the Friday the 13th series, Jason Voorhees

That whole thing.

posted on Nov, 13 2015 @ 04:03 AM
link   
Wasent it on the 13th that the templars where arrested ?
edit on 13-11-2015 by dukeofjive696969 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 13 2015 @ 06:35 AM
link   
Yes aparently it's the day that the Templars were turned upon and put to the stake by the church
It's the most commonly held belief
a reply to: dukeofjive696969

posted on Nov, 13 2015 @ 06:37 AM
link   
In Italy Friday the 17th is considered bad luck and 13 is usually considered a lucky number.

posted on Nov, 13 2015 @ 06:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: abe froman
I've heard the number 13 is considered unlucky because early man could count easily to 12, using his ten fingers and two feet and that led to the number 13 being unlucky.

I've heard that Friday the 13th as an unlucky day goes back to the day the Knights Templar were slaughtered.

There are dozens of reasons why people may have reason to think Friday the 13th is unlucky, what's your take?

There are many events that has happened on Friday the 13th, from ancient times to more recent one, medieval, classic and modern times. People have have always the tendency associating dates with events, a clear expression of superstition which whether we want to admit it or not, has roots in pagan times and has also rooted in our DNA. One of the Friday the 13th historical event is the start of the persecution of the Knight Templars.

Many researchers associate this date, October 13, 1307, as the beginning of the unlucky friday the 13th myth.

posted on Nov, 13 2015 @ 07:21 AM
link   
a reply to: AlphaPred
I'm not fully convinced that ordinary people cared enough about the fate of the Templars to build up a popular superstition on the subject. Historians can now recognise the event as an injustice, but who at the time (apart from the individuals involved) would have seen it as a great misfortune? And after the passage of a few years, it would have been a case of "Who are the Templars?"
Nor would most people at the time have been particularly conscious that the arrests in France happened on that day. Modern historians are more aware of the exact date, because they can check the documents, but news in those days travelled slowly.

If that theory is the most commonly held view now, that will be because conspiracy authors have been writing about the Templar events and building it up in their minds.

posted on Nov, 13 2015 @ 07:32 AM
link   
a reply to: abe froman

I remember Tsarion explaining it once in a video I watched. I remember him saying that the 13th, as Augustus said, was actually a lucky number. He had an interesting explanantion. Unfortunately, that's all I remember.

I read in a book by –Jose Arguelles, about the 13 moon cycle and how it was changed to 12 to throw us off our natural perception of time; thus labelling 13 unlucky.

posted on Nov, 13 2015 @ 08:21 AM
link   
I take no notice of it, myself, not a superstitious type. It's like black cats. If I encounter a black cat I'm much more likely to give it a friendly scratch on the ears.

new topics

top topics

join