It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why SOME Forums were created!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+18 more 
posted on Nov, 12 2015 @ 07:25 PM
link   
The vid below covers several topics, but one of them is something all forum users should be aware of.

The whole talk is extremely fascinating, but if you don't have the time skip along to 5:00

Richard Thieme talks about how he came up with "Real birds in digital cages"
Basically back in the early days of the internet he was employed to create websites that attacked for example The tobacco industry.
The purpose was to attract those who were awake, and hence contain them within the forum. They would be like Real birds in digital cages. They could flap their wings and skwark to each other, but in essence they would be contained within the forum.

Skip along to 11:30 to hear why the police become part of the Borg.

posted on Nov, 12 2015 @ 07:30 PM
link   
You say "forums" but, more accurately, it's the internet.

Because, I swear, since the internet came of age, we've been treading water. Some small gains but no real change. Just rearranging deck chairs...

Distraction on the battlefield is an effective tactic.
edit on 11/12/2015 by kosmicjack because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 12 2015 @ 07:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: kosmicjack
You say forum but, more accurately, it's the internet.

Because, I swear, since the internet came of age, we've been treading water. Some small gains but no real change. Just rearranging deck chairs....

I agree, was just sticking to what the man in the vid was saying. Was worried you guys might think I was having a pop at ats, thats not my intention and why I capitalized SOME in the title.

posted on Nov, 12 2015 @ 07:48 PM
link   
a reply to: VoidHawk

Why would this site be immune to having plants among the ranks?

To be candid, at times I've wondered if the cyber attacks on this site aren't self inflicted to bolster the mystique of Above Top Secret.
edit on 12-11-2015 by eluryh22 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 12 2015 @ 07:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: eluryh22

To be candid, at times I've wondered if the cyber attacks on this site aren't self inflicted to bolster the mystique of Above Top Secret.

None of us know the answer to that so lets not go there! Unless of course you want to see the thread deleted?

posted on Nov, 12 2015 @ 07:51 PM
link   

Duly noted. Moving on.....

posted on Nov, 12 2015 @ 07:53 PM
link   

I gave it my best shot, OP, but the guy's body language was exhaustive. When I closed my eyes to just listen, his German accent seeped thru and made it difficult to understand.

So maybe, just maybe, there are people who cannot be so easily assimilated?

posted on Nov, 12 2015 @ 07:57 PM
link   
a reply to: kosmicjack

I think the internet has one thing in common with every other invention in the history of mankind... the good and bad sides of the coin.

The telephone was invented.... then you had telephone scams, fake bomb threats, etc.

They split the atom... then you got the nuclear bomb.

The internet came along and suddenly anyone, anywhere could research topics of interest like never before.... then you got perverts going into kids chat rooms to do all sorts of horrible things.

edit on 12-11-2015 by eluryh22 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 12 2015 @ 08:14 PM
link   

At the 5 minute mark… talking about birds who think they are flying free, but are actually in digital cages

posted on Nov, 12 2015 @ 08:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: VoidHawk

originally posted by: eluryh22

None of us know the answer to that so lets not go there! Unless of course you want to see the thread deleted?

Surely they wouldn't delete a thread because it included such speculation, would they? I mean, it isn't THAT kind of site... is it?

posted on Nov, 12 2015 @ 08:18 PM
link   
a reply to: kosmicjack

You there!

The chairs looked better the other way. Less comment, more chair move.

Carry on

posted on Nov, 12 2015 @ 08:30 PM
link   
Forums allow for collaborative discussion. ATS, ID, and many others no different.

The only caged flapping birds are the ones that allow it brought upon themselves.

FB, Twittrs, are the real cages. Captured by the drug of self important expression that really provides no reciprocal benefit. You become the product, not the consumer.

Edit to add: if I make a stupid or ignorant post here, the line forms to correct me. And I am good with that. If the same done on FB, the only responce is lack of likes from strangers. And the drug doesnt fix my need.
edit on 12-11-2015 by smirkley because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 12 2015 @ 08:52 PM
link   
Thanks VH.
Replying & S&F just to bump, I'm about 20 minutes in, and DaNg, this is one of the most interesting YT vids I've seen in a long time. Perhaps it's applicable to ATS, but I don't think SO & ATS are deliberately "caging us birds", ...
Back to watching... may edit later if I''m still up.
BTW, this isn't some kinda P. Camalot source, for those of you lurking &...
Fnord

Edited after finishing
www.thiemeworks.com...
His website.
"Everything is Business Model". & Yes, I hope his let's him eat.
More to add later,perhaps.

edit on 11/12/2015 by ISeeTheFnords because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 12 2015 @ 09:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: smirkley

FB, Twittrs, are the real cages. Captured by the drug of self important expression that really provides no reciprocal benefit. You become the product, not the consumer.

Yes! Thats why I wont go those places.
I dont know if you got that far into the vid but about three quarters into it he explains how the whole internet is a digital cage.

posted on Nov, 12 2015 @ 09:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: ISeeTheFnords
Thanks VH.
Replying & S&F just to bump, I'm about 20 minutes in, and DaNg, this is one of the most interesting YT vids I've seen in a long time.

Yep! I had to watch it twice, spent so much time on the first pass thinking about what I was hearing and I missed some of it.

edit on 12-11-2015 by VoidHawk because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 12 2015 @ 09:23 PM
link   

The purpose was to attract those who were awake, and hence contain them within the forum. They would be like Real birds in digital cages. They could flap their wings and skwark to each other, but in essence they would be contained within the forum.

It's like the church also. It takes the most holy and spiritual people and locks them away in monasteries. It reminds me of a song lyric "Oh, the lights that now burn brightest behind stained glass. Will cast the darkest shadows upon the human heart."

edit on 12-11-2015 by Paradeox because: Editing.

posted on Nov, 12 2015 @ 10:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: Paradeox

It's like the church also. It takes the most holy and spiritual people and locks them away in monasteries.
I can't say that I agree with that... but the sentiment absolutely peaked my interest. Something for me to ponder and research.
edit on 12-11-2015 by eluryh22 because: added: "and research"

posted on Nov, 12 2015 @ 10:50 PM
link   

Thanks again.
Yes, Much info...cognitive dissonance,,,
Heck, maybe I'dd just try to forget I saw it and by a good...
SMH.
edit on 11/12/2015 by ISeeTheFnords because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 13 2015 @ 02:59 AM
link   
Good Lord.

It will take days of digestion to develop anything really meaningful to add to this thread.

I'm just absolutely floored by this man's thoughts and insight.

Absolutely beautiful catch, OP.

posted on Nov, 13 2015 @ 06:33 AM
link   
Thank you for sharing. Since information has always been the foundation of power, it's collection, suppression, manipulation and how it is interpreted and used; coming from someone who is in the business of protecting it is refreshing. The dilemmas and the seas of gray areas, the traumas and disillusionment.

If we are real birds in digital cages, do we have to wait for the illusory cat to set us free?... I tawt I taw a putty tat!

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join