It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Building the ultimate stealth bomber: Material that hides objects from advanced radars may lead to

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 12 2015 @ 10:03 AM
link   
Building the ultimate stealth bomber: Material that hides objects from advanced radars may lead to undetectable fighter jets

Well an interesting invention by China.
An active and tuneable Microwave absorbent material.

I wonder how this will stack up against what the usa has now.

Plus I wonder how they will get this on an airplane and how it will affect performance.

HOW THE MATERIAL WORKS

Modern radars use antennas that direct microwave energy to 'see through' clouds, fog or smoke and estimate an object's size.

Microwave absorbers already exist and effectively absorb microwave energy to make objects invisible to radar, but they are usually thick - making them unsuitable for aircraft - or they only absorb certain waves.

The new material has an ultra-thin absorbing surface called an active frequency-selective surface absorber (AFSS).

This is made up of arrays of patterned conductors fitted with two common types of circuit elements known as resistors and varactors.

They are arranged flat and have a thin dielectric (electrical insulator) on the back that reflects incident microwaves according to their frequency.

The 0.4mm surface can be stretched to absorb microwaves and is covered by a thin mesh.

It is the first time that this stretching technology has been used in an AFSS to expand the bandwidth of microwaves it can absorb.

Read more: www.dailymail.co.uk... er-jets.html#ixzz3rIExCFfG
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

posted on Nov, 12 2015 @ 10:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: grey580

Well an interesting invention by The United States.

Fixed it for you.

I wonder how this will stack up against what the usa has now.

Where do you think they got this tech? It's been used here for some time.

posted on Nov, 12 2015 @ 10:45 AM
link   
I think my microwave does something similar - that mesh in front of the screen stops the microwaves from getting out of the box and cooking everyone in the kitchen.

posted on Nov, 12 2015 @ 10:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: stormcell
I think my microwave does something similar - that mesh in front of the screen stops the microwaves from getting out of the box and cooking everyone in the kitchen.

Does it, really? I've heard that microwave ovens leak.

posted on Nov, 12 2015 @ 11:15 AM
link   
a reply to: Sammamishman

Well you know I had to copy the title from the article.

Do we have anything similar to this?

posted on Nov, 12 2015 @ 11:20 AM
link   
"Frequency-selective Surface" -- Lovely. So, this material renders the object non-reflective at one specific frequency, or a small set of frequencies. What happens when I am using several radars of several different wavelengths? The object will be visible on at least some of the radars.

Typically this kind of absorbent material is very useful to defend against missiles with radar seekers. Invisibility against ground-based surveillance radars is rather more interesting a problem.

My opinions are based on several decades of work on many kinds of radars, both military and civilian.

posted on Nov, 12 2015 @ 11:23 AM
link   
a reply to: grey580

Over the years I have read any number of articles in public literature about many different kinds of radar absorbent surfaces and materials. Some of them have been from UK researchers, some from Germans, some from French, some from Sweden, and so on. Oh yes, and quite a few from North-American countries as well.

posted on Nov, 12 2015 @ 11:23 AM
link   
They probably stole it from us like they did with their jet fighters. I'm certain we have something similar to this.

btw, microwave ovens use a Faraday Cage to stop leaks and keep all that harmful radiation inside.

Faraday Cage - a grounded metal screen surrounding a piece of equipment to exclude electrostatic and electromagnetic influences.

It's just a simple cage surrounding whatever you wish to protect. You can put a cell phone in one and it'll stop it from sending and receiving communications. Nothing goes in, nothing comes out. Kinda like the tin foil hat, but actually works

posted on Nov, 12 2015 @ 11:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: StallionDuck
They probably stole it from us like they did with their jet fighters. I'm certain we have something similar to this.

btw, microwave ovens use a Faraday Cage to stop leaks and keep all that harmful radiation inside.

Faraday Cage - a grounded metal screen surrounding a piece of equipment to exclude electrostatic and electromagnetic influences.

It's just a simple cage surrounding whatever you wish to protect. You can put a cell phone in one and it'll stop it from sending and receiving communications. Nothing goes in, nothing comes out. Kinda like the tin foil hat, but actually works

True, except for what this guy said:

Does it, really? I've heard that microwave ovens leak.

Some models are deliberate time bombs. Unfortunately, it's not leaking the good end of frequency, UV-C.
edit on 12-11-2015 by trifecta because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join