It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Alternative Treatments for Back Pain?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 12 2015 @ 09:22 AM
link   
Hello ATS,

Does anyone out there suffer from chronic low back pain? More to the point, has anyone had success with alternative methods of treatment?

I've been dealing with a back injury for the last several years (or more). Some days are worse than others and the level of pain seems to be driven by my activity level. The good news is recent imaging shows no structural damage or abnormalities. The bad news is, if it's not structural then what is causing it? If it's muscular in nature then what are my options? I don't think simple stretching is enough.

Has anyone ever had success with acupuncture or acupressure? Is it worth looking into something like NKT or deep tissue massage? I'm trying to get some ideas together and approach this from a different angle.

Thanks.

Roma

posted on Nov, 12 2015 @ 09:33 AM
link   
a reply to: RomaSempre

I have severe low back pain, due to a spinal fusion at L4,5 & 6 using a "cage fusion". I take 200 mg of morphine every day, but sometimes it does no good at all.

My go to, never fail, last resort? I swear by this and recommend it to every one I know with back pain. You don't have to hang upside down, just at a 45 degree angle to stretch the muscles and get the pressure off the vertebrae. I use it while watching TV, reading and I've even feel asleep while on it. It's that good. Yes, it's a bit expensive. But it. is. worth. it.
www.amazon.com... hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_2vdblihnbx_b

edit on 12-11-2015 by DAVID64 because: correction
extra DIV

posted on Nov, 12 2015 @ 09:36 AM
link   

www.spineuniverse.com...

Start exercising. Do it with a trainer. A trainer will know what exercises you should be doing but generally you want to build up abdominal (core) musles and glutes (buttocks).

You will be amazed at what a few crunches and squats will do for you.

Tired of Control Freaks

posted on Nov, 12 2015 @ 09:39 AM
link   
Not to get personal but could it be a weight issue?
I had some back pain when I was around 240.
I dropped to 210 and no more pain.
that took loads of stress off my back.

posted on Nov, 12 2015 @ 09:43 AM
link   

Heali ng Back Pain Naturally

I was flat on my back for 6 weeks and the Drs couldn't find anything wrong. That book fixed my back.

posted on Nov, 12 2015 @ 09:46 AM
link   
The lubricant in joints is a sulfur based compound. Some people do not process sulfur correctly though. The thing is that there are foods that contain the compounds to build the joints and lubricate the joints. Real gelatin can help so eat some jello or make soup made from cartilage to increase the glucosamine and chonderite. You need a little vitamin C with this and alcohol metabolites actually can melt the senovial fluid of the joints from their stores.

If you drink alcohol consistantly, the stores of this run low. Our bodies can produce new senovial fluids if we have the right nutrients. Everyone's metabolism is a little different meaning we manufacture cartilage and this fluid at varying rates, but if we do not have the right ingredients present at the proper time, we can't make it. Try making a cake without levening agents or making coffee without having the coffee.

Our body does store excess nutrients but if you do not consume these over a long period of time or if your body can't utilize the type you are consuming, it is time to start researching the issue. Good BBQ ribs can be very nutritious.

It is important to note that sometimes lower back pain can result from kidney stones. I thought all lower back pain was from my damaged back but found out the difference while researching. A third of the times I had back pain it was actually stones. I guess I should have studied the difference thirty years ago. I used to assume things that I shouldn't have assumed.
edit on 12-11-2015 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 12 2015 @ 09:46 AM
link   
Native American's used to lean against trees to cleanse there aura, gain energy, and relieved back pain.

posted on Nov, 12 2015 @ 09:51 AM
link   
a reply to: Oannes

Native American's used to lean against trees to cleanse there aura, gain energy, and relieved back pain.
How wise, I can't wait to try that, thank you.

posted on Nov, 12 2015 @ 09:53 AM
link   
a reply to: Oannes

That does seem to work, leaning against a big pine tree does seem to help the back. Watch out for the sap though, and make sure there aren't any huge pine spiders on the tree, it could cause a heart attack if one drops on your head.

posted on Nov, 12 2015 @ 10:06 AM
link   

I guess aside from the pain which pot can help you might want to go through all those silly exercises to re-train your muscles . That was the biggest issue I had with regaining a seance of normal-ness ... I couldn't get my mind around that doing them would do any good but I finally had to try it and it worked ....

posted on Nov, 12 2015 @ 10:31 AM
link   

Apple cider vinegar pills and tumaric worked for me.

posted on Nov, 12 2015 @ 11:10 AM
link   
Thanks to everyone for their valuable input. I didn't want to reply to each individual post but here are some of my responses:

No, not overweight. Okay, dammit! I still have 10 pounds to go to hit my goal bodyweight.

Yes Ricky, I do drink but limiting the number of beers per week has helped me get closer to my goal weight.

I do workout and with a trainer who's specialty is functional mobility. To that end we spend a lot of time focusing on core & glutes. My training regimen is basically a 4 day split with weights and 2 days martial arts. I taught group fitness for 20 years and I think part of my problem comes from all the pounding my body took during that time.

I would love to try the inversion table but it is a bit expensive. Maybe for Christmas? In the meanwhile I'll try leaning against a tree. (Seriously, the American Indians had a far greater understanding of natural cures).

There's quite a buzz about apple cider vinegar. I'll have to research it a bit. From what I understand it's best to take it at night before bed?

Thanks for the book and website referrals.

I hope I didn't miss anybody?

posted on Nov, 12 2015 @ 12:25 PM
link   
Chiropractic. Specifically a technique called Advanced Biostructural Correction.
I had a incredible lower back pain and sciatica; finally went to a Chiro - my vertebrae were twisted like a double-helix, my hips were entirely crooked, and there was a 'kink' in which my spinal cord was bent into two right angles.

Chiro straightened me out, otherwise I'd have rods in my back now.

posted on Nov, 12 2015 @ 12:33 PM
link   
I'm not sure if there national, but here in Washington there's a sporting goods store called Big5. I got my inversion table from them for just $100. Really sturdy and comfortable, so I'd recommend checking their website for a good deal.

m.big5sportinggoods.com...

posted on Nov, 12 2015 @ 01:29 PM
link   

I see a physical therapist for my low back issues (arthritis and degenerative disc disease) and the exercises he has me doing involve a bit more than just core and glutes.

There's these barely 'noticeable' muscles in the lower abdomen (directly above the pubic bone, and well below the core muscles - it's kind of hard to 'find' them...my therapist actually had to put his hand there at first and push the area, because there's such a subtle distinction between the lower abdominals (which are just under the belly button) and this even lower muscle...Even after figuring it out, I still have to really concentrate to make sure I'm working the right area..

...Anyway, here's how you 'work' the muscle once you 'find' it:

Lie flat on your back and pull that little muscle in as hard as you can for a count of ten (or as long as you can at first), release and repeat 5 to 10 times, increase the hold time and repeats as you get stronger..

Also, stretching can be really important, because increasing flexibility can be very helpful...There are certain yoga poses that can help - yoga in general is one of the best things for the back.

You might try Googling 'physical therapy for low back pain', and see if you find any other specific exercises that you can just try out to see if they help.

posted on Nov, 12 2015 @ 03:59 PM
link   

My poor husband has suffered with lower back pain for years. Surgery, physical therapy and chiropractic helped for a time but when other issues prevented him from doing the prescribed exercises, the pain came back. Recently we heard an ad on radio for a photon therapy device. It isn't cheap but it works. It also comes with a guarantee that if it doesn't work for you, they will refund your money.
In his case it is truly a miracle because he needs to limit the pain pills due to compromised liver and kidney function. If interested just google Lumen Photon Therapy.
His chiropractor was so impressed that he bought one for his office.

posted on Nov, 12 2015 @ 04:15 PM
link   
I agree with the numeric - gelatin (real), homemade bone broth is good as well. I would recommend gentle/restorative yoga - I've seen it work wonders for many people with chronic pain; however it does take a while and you have to be consistent.

Massage, acupressure/puncture I'm sure would be beneficial as well but have to become part of your lifestyle.

Good luck. I hope you can enjoy the journey of finding what works for you....

posted on Nov, 12 2015 @ 11:07 PM
link   
a reply to: DAVID64

Was there any actual benefit for you getting the fusion.....?...my doctor wants me to get a similar thing done and it this point i am refusing...from what i have been told there is about a 50/50 success rate when it come to this surgery

posted on Nov, 12 2015 @ 11:29 PM
link   
a reply to: FyreByrd

Yup, bone broth. I have rhumatoid arthritis. I have been doing the bone broth with lots of turmeric added ever day.

Arnica is also a very good one. www.drweil.com...

I have only used the Muscle Ice gel, but it worked well on my hands. The other other products by this brand may be worth trying, but I can only vouch for the one.
peacefulmountain.com... els/

posted on Nov, 12 2015 @ 11:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: FyreByrd
I agree with the numeric - gelatin (real), homemade bone broth is good as well. I would recommend gentle/restorative yoga - I've seen it work wonders for many people with chronic pain; however it does take a while and you have to be consistent.

Massage, acupressure/puncture I'm sure would be beneficial as well but have to become part of your lifestyle.

Good luck. I hope you can enjoy the journey of finding what works for you....

I forgot to mention bone broth, I usually just say cartilaginous soup bones but should have mentioned the bone broth with that. If a person consumes too much calcium containing foods and does not get the other minerals in the right proportion, it leads to problems. Bone broth has everything in the right proportion. Real bone broth also tastes pretty good.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join