It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

David Cameron complains to his local council over cuts ... Hypocrite !

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 12 2015 @ 04:43 AM
link   
Cuts are good according the Dear Leader but only for the Oiks not for the good people of the leafy Oxfordshire county where he lives.

In the letter to leader of the council, Ian Hudspeth, Mr Cameron said: ‘I was disappointed at the long list of suggestions floated in the briefing note to make significant cuts to frontline services – from elderly day centres, to libraries, to museums. This is in addition to the unwelcome and counter-productive proposals to close children’s centres across the county.

‘I would have hoped that Oxfordshire would instead be following the best practice of Conservative councils from across the country in making back office savings and protecting the frontline.’
www.localgov.co.uk...

The letter may land Cameron in hot water as he goes on to offer to set up meeting with the No 10 policy unit to discuss the situation , Labour have accused the PM of breaking the ministerial code in that the invitation offers special access to the leader of the PMs local council.

Just goes to show how they're happy to dole out the pain as long as it doesn't affect them in their ivory towers.

As we made clear in the 2015 Conservative manifesto, every part of the public sector needs to continue to play their bit to help pay off the deficit, including local government.

I was disappointed at the long list of suggestions floated in the briefing note to make significant cuts to frontline services – from elderly day centres, to libraries, to museums.

This is in addition to the unwelcome and counter-productive proposals to close children’s centres across the county.

I would have hoped that Oxfordshire would instead be following the best practice of Conservative councils from across the country in making back-office savings and protecting the frontline.

Your briefing note suggested that £204m had been taken out of the budget since 2010...

The fact of the matter is that spending has actually increased in recent years.

The briefing note made no mention of the work that could be done to generate savings in a more creative manner... this process is an opportunity for the council to review its public property, to dispose of surplus assets.

This is not just about councils – much can be done to [also] improve co-operation between blue light services.

I would be happy to initiate further dialogue with advisors in the No10 Policy Unit and yourself.

Yours,
David Cameron.
www.oxfordmail.co.uk...

edit on 12-11-2015 by gortex because: edit to add

posted on Nov, 12 2015 @ 05:04 AM
link   
a reply to: gortex

I generally like to bash the prime minister of the day but this man and his clique are genuinely evil in some of the thing's they are doing to the poorest, yes we need to control benefits for migrant's but our own people should not suffer as they are.

I like it when he makes mistake's and feel literally sickened whenever I see the three of them grinning like fat faced overstuffed hypocrites while they are literally forcing so many of our own people onto the streets and inflicting poverty beyond anything our nation has known since before the 1950's upon it.

They are the very embodiment of the one rule for the poor and another for the rich ideology, especially that nasty piece of work LDS and his pretend argument with Osbourne.

This in my opinion was an attempt by him to ensure he keep's his seat as there ill thought out tax credit cut's which they are deadly intent on pushing ahead with regardless of the house of lord's will likely cost him his seat at the next election as well as him stepping aside for Osbourne whom actually thinks he is going to be prime minister, hell maybe he will assuming they rig the election again.

posted on Nov, 12 2015 @ 05:13 AM
link   
The problem with this prime minister, is he is so out of touch with society he was born with a silver spoon in his mouth and has no idea how day to day folk live. He will never have had to worry about cuts to services, because he doesn't need to use them. Fair enough, his family were successful, but not everyone is so lucky to be born into wealth. I grew up middle class and know I am out of touch with how poorer people live. I volunteered at a homeless charity and it really woke me up as to what a sheltered life I had led to poverty that existed in the town I went to school at. So I imagine Cameron coming from his background, just hasn't got a clue.

posted on Nov, 12 2015 @ 05:33 AM
link   
enough said really :|
www.thedailymash.co.uk...

posted on Nov, 12 2015 @ 05:39 AM
link   

Hi...hi...hi....hilariousss!

Yes, very hypocritical. I thought John Major had smacked his bottom for being a naughty David "Cut Throat" Cameron!

It is strange. As a human being I don't dislike him one bit, but the policies??? The policies!!!

posted on Nov, 12 2015 @ 05:58 AM
link   
Oh yes David Cameron the hypocrite. He had a disabled son who used the National Health Service for years and yet now is doing everything in his power to make it crumble. However, a close family member of mine works in an organisation who deals with funding the NHS and a certain Mr Cameron asked for extra funding over and above what most hospitals get for - you guessed it - his own local hospital. He didn't get it by the way but he asked and wanted it and apparently wasn't very happy when he was refused. And he went to a private school which allowed him to go to University but then doesn't want the poorest in society to have that right to go to University by making them pay astronomical amounts of money to go to University. This is the man who went on Question Time before the GE in May and said categorically that tax credits wouldn't be cut when trying to balance the books and yet a couple of months after what were their polices - you guessed it to cut tax credits (which by the way, I don't have a massive issue with, I just think they should be cut (at least for people who aren't British) and I think people should be paid more). My gripe is they are hitting out at the most vulnerable in our society, they are taking money from the most hard working on the lowest pay without waiting until proper wages are paid and then decreasing tax credits. And finally, in Oxford there isn't one refugee and Oxford has the lowest numbers for immigrants. Now isn't that strange?

posted on Nov, 12 2015 @ 06:39 AM
link   
Well the word hypocrisy will not appear in any of the newspapers that the Tory voters read so I'm afraid this will have no affect on them. One can only hope that the word gets around and some of those idiots who voted Tory last time are starting to think......(although I would not hold my breathe).

THE UK electoral system is massively skewed right now due to a FPTP system that only works in a two party system. There will always be a core of voters who never change their vote and I suspect that that limit is not far from the number of votes a party needs to gain power. Only 24% of the UK electorate voted Tory. I'm pretty sure 24% is damn close to the hardcore Tory support which will never change. Bye bye democracy unless we go proportional.

posted on Nov, 12 2015 @ 06:43 AM
link   
Some Councils are bloated and overly bureaucratic. Councils have a legal duty to provide certain services, but often concentrate on wasteful projects and activities - including excessive pay to their senior managers and Chief Executives.

posted on Nov, 12 2015 @ 06:53 AM
link   
Of course they do. I used to live in another part of the Country a few years back where the Council was in a affluent area. You could always tell when the end of the tax year was coming round because they would be out on the streets ten times a day cleaning up and sending lots of useless letters out, all so they could use up their pot of money and have nothing left so that by April they could say "look we needed all those funds, can we have the same again please!".a reply to: paraphi

posted on Nov, 12 2015 @ 07:20 AM
link   
a reply to: yorkshirelad the thing is we had a vote recently on changes on the voting system, but no one seemed that bothered about it. It's not like we haven't had the opportunity to change it. There are pros and cons with every voting system. Proportional representation has quite a few cons one being it tends to produce a weak government with no majority giving minority parties too much influence despite their lack of popularity with the wider electorate

posted on Nov, 12 2015 @ 08:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: paraphi
Some Councils are bloated and overly bureaucratic. Councils have a legal duty to provide certain services, but often concentrate on wasteful projects and activities - including excessive pay to their senior managers and Chief Executives.

The other unfortunate thing is that whenever you do and try to force them to make cutbacks, they'll be spiteful and just cut the services for children, elderly, disabled first, then claim they are short of cash. Remember the Iceland fiasco. The government froze all transactions to and from Iceland. Suddenly it was discovered that hundreds of union pension schemes and local councils had squirreled away money abroad for "rainy day funds". The same councils that would always cry that they were going to have a funding shortfall.

I know one council has a budget of £50 million for police, yet had a budget of £500 million for "social integration". That wasn't social security or healthcare.

posted on Nov, 12 2015 @ 08:09 AM
link   
In fairness though the vote wasn't on Proportional Representation was it? I believe it was on AV wasn't it? I think a lot didn't vote for AV because they didn't fully understand it. I believe also people didn't really fully understand how flawed the FPTP vote was until 4 million voted for UKIP and ended up with 1 MP. The FPTP method of voting was then truly shown up for how undemocratic it actually is. I think if there was another vote on electorial reform there would be a different conclusion but it doesn't look like Conservatives are going to agree to that any time soon because I think they know they wouldn't stand a chance!

My concern is with the current process I can't envisage a time when we are ever going to get rid of Conservatives. Conservatives knew exactly what they were doing when they put their spin on a Labour and SNP coalition. They frightened the electorate into voting for them. Hardly democratic!a reply to: woodwardjnr

posted on Nov, 12 2015 @ 08:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: stormcell

originally posted by: paraphi

The other unfortunate thing is that whenever you do and try to force them to make cutbacks, they'll be spiteful and just cut the services for children, elderly, disabled first, then claim they are short of cash. Remember the Iceland fiasco. The government froze all transactions to and from Iceland. Suddenly it was discovered that hundreds of union pension schemes and local councils had squirreled away money abroad for "rainy day funds". The same councils that would always cry that they were going to have a funding shortfall.

The reason why so many councils got caught up in the Iceland scandal was that they had no choice at the time as the rules forced councils to get the highest rates for their money and since the Icelandic banks were considered as good as any onshore bank all with AAA ratings etc the money had to go to them or they'd be given a royal rollocking.

Also a lot of the money actually can be already 'spent' as its in the bank awaiting spending as part of perhaps a multi year project but on some projects even the interest income is part of the projects budget.

My mum worked for social services and now pretty much everything is outsourced in the actual delivery of it and its why care homes are closing as they're not worth it especially when they can be spending loads every year just to meet some new standard...every bedroom needs its own private bathroom for example, for a lot of older buildings thats either impossible due to being listed or would cost so much and then reduce the number of beds making it unprofitable so just flog it off to some developer.

posted on Nov, 12 2015 @ 11:11 AM
link   
I think a sitting prime minister should give their political agent as much leeway as possible, and let he/her look after constituent business, even if the prime minister has something to shout about.

posted on Nov, 12 2015 @ 05:18 PM
link   
people are complaning left right and centre about this government,they had the chance to vote them out but didn,t.

my vote didn,t go to them and knew the min they got back in it would go arse up,you only had to look at their track record the past 30 years that they do not care for the low wage british families.

thatcher in the 80s was the start and remember her and her policies having my mum and dad working their fingers to the bone but still being totally skint.

no tory would ever get my vote cause not one of them knows or cares about the working class familys.

new topics

top topics

join