It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is "The Bible"?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 12 2015 @ 06:51 AM
link   
a reply to: Akragon

The Christian bible is compiled of a collection of the local tribal word of mouth traditional stories as known thousands of years ago in the Middle East. Since the language had change since the early Babylonian era so did the interpreted expression of the stories and of course the written word. When it came to be transcribed into Latin again the meaningful context was altered due to the way the Latin grammar was constructed. With each change understanding the wisdom, if any, is no longer remembered. Thus gives ride to the many sects and dominations of religion as currently.

posted on Nov, 12 2015 @ 06:53 AM
link   

John 14. 13-14

13 And whatsoever ye shall ask in my name, that will I do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son. 14 If ye shall ask any thing in my name, I will do it.

posted on Nov, 12 2015 @ 08:27 AM
link   

so you start a thread about whats in the bible; and yet you cant wait till a
backslapper shows up

posted on Nov, 12 2015 @ 08:27 AM
link   

so you start a thread about whats in the bible; and yet you cant wait till a
backslapper shows up

posted on Nov, 12 2015 @ 08:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: Akragon
a reply to: Lucid Lunacy

would this not be an argument of "do what is right" as opposed to what ones family and friends might believe?

Just this short exchange between the two of you, shows what the problem with all religious texts is. They are all open to interpretation. Which is fine, until you have those groups(or individuals) who have decided they are the only ones who understand it, and if you don't believe their way, bad things are gonna happen to you. In this life, and the next. Just look at the history of the 3 offshoots for evidence of my assertion.

Not everyone believes like you my friend. You aren't a proselytizer, and you don't believe in projecting your beliefs on others. Unfortunately, you are in the extreme minority. Even you are considered hellbound by most Jews, Muslims, and Christians, because you don't believe the way they tell you to.

posted on Nov, 12 2015 @ 08:51 AM
link   
"The Bible" is a book of esoteric parables and allegories that has been promoted as literal truth and/or history by those in power. It is propaganda for those who do not understand it for what it is, it is a guide for those who do. This logic can be applied to any holy book in my opinion, not just the bible. They're all talking about the same thing, only from different cultural viewpoints.

posted on Nov, 12 2015 @ 09:44 AM
link   
The bible is...

A primitive and debased collection of stories about stories, myths and superstitions written down by people that knew no better.

posted on Nov, 12 2015 @ 10:41 AM
link   
The Bible (means "book") is the story of a transcendent God revealing Himself to His creation: humans.

posted on Nov, 12 2015 @ 11:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: Akragon
a reply to: skunkape23

I'll make you a deal...

give me something Jesus said that was nonsense and i'll give you a star...

Among other things, "I am god made flesh" and "there is no way to [paradise, nirvana, self fulfilment, etc] except through me"

Forget the star, I don't need it.
edit on 12-11-2015 by TzarChasm because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 12 2015 @ 11:29 AM
link   

The bible is a work of fiction...

..and a bad one at that

posted on Nov, 12 2015 @ 12:06 PM
link   
Hmm. The Bible. Following faith rather than any specific religion means The Bible hasn't much meaning for me. The New Testament, my opinion, a written account of Jesus Christ, who I believe lived and was a prophet, even if self professed. Obviously, the facts in that written account embellished over time, and now more fiction than fact. And no, not the true "son of God" nor birthed of a virgin.

The Old Testament, however, is one hundred percent made up fantasy fiction. Oh, there may be some distant basis in fact for some accounts, but most of it is completely made up.

All this being said, I do have faith in "God" as it were, but in a more Deist fashion. I don't believe the maker of the universe pays a bit of attention to any of our daily lives, influences nothing, and offers no punishments or rewards, including heaven or hell. And I certainly don't believe that God only likes one specific group of people who fall under on religious tenant, to the detriment to all others.

posted on Nov, 13 2015 @ 09:16 AM
link   
The bible is misunderstood by disbelievers and understood by believers. It deals about history and human nature.

posted on Nov, 13 2015 @ 11:33 AM
link   

At best, the Bible is a series of allegorical stories, designed to help one navigate the human condition and the individual process of self revelation, and to convey the journey of the "spirit of mankind" as a whole. The New Testament is the condensed "Readers' Digest" versions of the same stories.

At worst, it's a dangerous control mechanism used to brainwash and shame the masses into compliance.

posted on Nov, 13 2015 @ 01:54 PM
link   
The "Bible" Is My "Told You So" Calamity...

posted on Nov, 13 2015 @ 03:51 PM
link   
It's a Messiah's handbook. It contains all the answers to all the questions he will ask just like the crystal Jor El gave his son, Superman. It's encoded to his genetic imprint. To everyone else it's just words.

posted on Nov, 14 2015 @ 04:16 AM
link   
The thin paper it is printed on is good for rolling a smoke. In a pinch.

posted on Nov, 14 2015 @ 05:22 AM
link   

Yeah, but smoking is not healthy.
edit on 14-11-2015 by Ladybug201 because: spelling

posted on Nov, 14 2015 @ 07:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: Ladybug201

Yeah, but smoking is not healthy.

Checkmate atheists!

top topics