It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Has anyone published an e-book exclusively with Amazon?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 11 2015 @ 06:16 PM
link   
I've been freelancing for quite some time, but I would like to publish a short non fiction title. I don't want to publish it widely, so via my research, Amazon seems to be my best bet for generating a small amount of revenue with the least amount of self-marketing.

Has anyone here published exclusively with Amazon? What was your experience?

Thanks in advance.
edit on 11-11-2015 by Atsbhct because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 11 2015 @ 06:26 PM
link   
Its super easy, and you can order really small quantities. The pictures arent real high quality. I transferred my work to createspace and it basically walks you through it and helps you create a book cover. Its really easy, and very inexpensive. you can either keep it private or you can make it available for sale. Its free software. When you finish your work you save it as a pdf then upload it to amazon. No charge.

www.createspace.com...
edit on 11-11-2015 by misskat1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 11 2015 @ 06:26 PM
link   
a reply to: Atsbhct

I've been wondering the same thing too.
That is a a good question

posted on Nov, 11 2015 @ 06:29 PM
link   
a reply to: misskat1

Thank you! That's really helpful. I don't think I'll want any hard copies; I'm really just experimenting to see what kind of revenue stream I could expect.

posted on Nov, 11 2015 @ 06:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: grumpydaysleeper

I've been wondering the same thing too.
That is a a good question

We can share this thread!

posted on Nov, 11 2015 @ 06:38 PM
link   

thank you!
I wrote a children's book about 30 years ago. I've been thinking about publishing it on amazon. I wouldn't want to have any hard copies but maybe a dozen at the most for grandchildren.
~~Linda

posted on Nov, 11 2015 @ 06:41 PM
link   
a reply to: grumpydaysleeper

That's so cool, what a nice gift.

posted on Nov, 11 2015 @ 06:47 PM
link   

I have a few books through Amazon and I would never release an ebook. My friends say they are a good idea but I have seen pirated copies of some of my other friends books floating around the interwebz. It is because of this I never release any electronic copies of my books in any format, ever, not ever. Print only for me.

I am grateful for the stores and sites that distribute our work, very grateful.

I would link but it violates policy, I am easy enough to find.

Good luck, and don't forget the libraries and universities.

posted on Nov, 11 2015 @ 07:40 PM
link   
a reply to: Volund

Thanks for the input. I was thinking e-book because a)the material is short , and b) it's a very niche subject. I didn't even think about piracy, but with anything electronic it would be easy enough.

Do write fiction or non fiction? If you don't mind me asking, are you writing for the pleasure of authoring original works, or as a revenue booster?

posted on Nov, 11 2015 @ 08:24 PM
link   
Your material sounds like just the type of thing that works best as a self-published ebook. Something that (no matter how good it is) would be difficult to get published. Short, niche, nonfiction really ticks all those boxes.

However, as a professional writer, I generally advise against self-publishing if you're looking to make a career in writing. Especially early in your career. The reasons are legion. But the basic issue is this: You're just one person. One person cannot effectively write, edit, distribute, promote and market their book.

There are of course exceptions, like the OP, in this instance.

posted on Nov, 11 2015 @ 08:26 PM
link   
Hello OP,

I have had very good experiences with Amazon. I published a book exclusively with them and I actually have some sales. The process is very easy and they are helpful.
Here is a link to my book about Israeli Paratroopers, "An Outsider Would Not Understand it".

www.amazon.ca...

Please contact me if you have any questions.
Cheers

arit

posted on Nov, 11 2015 @ 08:39 PM
link   
My daughter has done two on Amazon recently. She's something of a literary phenomenon. Seven years old and strings words together better than most adults. For real. It was super easy and quick to put them together on Amazon. Highly recommended:

Stories Without Endings: Short Works of a 7-Year-Old Homeschooled Literary Prodigy

Stories Without Endings, Vol. 2

posted on Nov, 11 2015 @ 09:30 PM
link   
a reply to: Moresby

Thanks for the advice. If I were to publish some of the fiction I've written , or the anthologies of ghost stories I've collected, I would go the 'legit' route of finding a publisher, if only so my 'brand' wasn't cheapened. That sounds ridiculous, but it's important for marketing.

The title I'm thinking of publishing is about investing. I'll probably use a pseudonym to publish this title. After all, I think every writer, regardless of talent or real desire, thinks of publishing a book and making it big someday.

posted on Nov, 11 2015 @ 09:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: arit_
Hello OP,

I have had very good experiences with Amazon. I published a book exclusively with them and I actually have some sales. The process is very easy and they are helpful.
Here is a link to my book about Israeli Paratroopers, "An Outsider Would Not Understand it".

www.amazon.ca...

Please contact me if you have any questions.
Cheers

arit

I was going to read your book... but I might not understand...

Kidding, I'll download it later. I'll pm you with any questions I might have!

posted on Nov, 11 2015 @ 09:34 PM
link   
a reply to: BiffWellington

You should start a blog for your daughter if you haven't all ready. It's an easy way to direct traffic towards a book sale. It may go viral and garner her a book deal with a major publisher.

posted on Nov, 11 2015 @ 10:07 PM
link   

Hi,

Thanks for the interest.
If you don't feel like paying for it (also any other fellow atser), please let me know I can mail you a word copy.

CHeers

arit

posted on Nov, 12 2015 @ 08:04 AM
link   

I am publishing via Smashwords
It gives the highest pay out % and it links it to all e-book sites, including Amazon.
I discovered it in a Forbes Magazine Article listing the "companies to watch for in the future"
Here is the Link
Amazon is pretty restricted to one single e-reader format while Smashwords runs about 9 different formats that suite all readers and apps.

posted on Nov, 12 2015 @ 08:07 AM
link   
a reply to: Guenter

Thanks, that's a great find. I like the premise a lot, I can't wait to look deeper into it.

posted on Nov, 12 2015 @ 08:13 AM
link   

Welcome. And foremost the entire set-up is FREE!
Hard-copy published I sell for ~$25 and receive ~$1,30 in royalties.
Smashwords I sell at $5,99 and get close to $4,90 in payments. A bit a difference I guess?

posted on Nov, 13 2015 @ 08:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: Moresby
Your material sounds like just the type of thing that works best as a self-published ebook. Something that (no matter how good it is) would be difficult to get published. Short, niche, nonfiction really ticks all those boxes.

However, as a professional writer, I generally advise against self-publishing if you're looking to make a career in writing. Especially early in your career. The reasons are legion. But the basic issue is this: You're just one person. One person cannot effectively write, edit, distribute, promote and market their book.

There are of course exceptions, like the OP, in this instance.

I self-published and I kinda have to agree with you. Here is what I discovered the hard way;

1) Researching the book....difficult
2) Writing the book....very difficult
3) Editing the book....extremely difficult
4) Promoting the book....Forget about it!

But, even going through a publisher you're still responsible for most of your promotion. Researching and writing the book were the easy parts. After that, it sure would have been nice to have deep, deep pockets to hire the best editors and pay for a powerful marketing campaign.

new topics

top topics

join