It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Any fans of drum corps or marching bands here? Check this out

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 11 2015 @ 09:30 PM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

Wow. I was lucky enough to see Fleetwood Mac LIVE, finally, a couple of years ago.

Christine McVee wasn't there - but otherwise, it was a FABULOUS show.

Yeah - so - anyway - the more modern 'marching band' styles with the sideways walking and the more 'camera-friendly' choreography don't really do it for me.

I learned the 18.5 inch step - knees parallel to the ground with EVERY step - and making sure our lines were straight.

"The band is only as good as our weakest member," Mr B used to say.
We would up winning national championships and marching at the Rose Bowl, and playing at the grand opening of the Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts.

WE WERE AWESOME!!!

Good times. very good times.
Music training is such a valuable thing....too bad so many school districts are cutting it.....

posted on Nov, 11 2015 @ 09:39 PM
link   
a reply to: LadyGreenEyes

Add in the drums, and add another layer of difficulty! That these are all working guys, who have to make time for this, makes it all the more impressive.

I tell ya, the drum lines are the BEST!!!

I remember marching in parades, and the drum line would give us our cadence, and it was magical the way it inspired me.

Gives me chills just remembering it!!

posted on Nov, 11 2015 @ 09:42 PM
link   
a reply to: kosmicjack

Ever seen the movie "Brassed Off"?

posted on Nov, 11 2015 @ 09:43 PM
link   
a reply to: BuzzyWigs

Impressive!!!

I got to "march" in an outfit like this once in NO on tenor for a friends funeral.

www.youtube.com...

posted on Nov, 11 2015 @ 09:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: BuzzyWigs
a reply to: intrepid

Bagpipes? Or just 'fifes'?

I absolutely adore the Scottish pipe and drum stuff, too -

Well then...

I happen to have the definitive collection of pipes, I'd be happy to get you a list!

For starters, Gordon Duncan and Fred Morrison are legends.

posted on Nov, 11 2015 @ 10:06 PM
link   

This looks like fun!!

www.youtube.com...

posted on Nov, 11 2015 @ 10:15 PM
link   
I always enjoyed watching drumline "battles". Here is one from the Army and Air Force drumlines.

edit on 11/11/2015 by EternalSolace because: Spelling

posted on Nov, 12 2015 @ 03:01 AM
link   

Most excellent, really love this above all other music and exhibitions. Such talent and dedication. Wish all young folks would put themselves together with their own spin on their musical and marching talents.

Bally.

posted on Nov, 12 2015 @ 03:04 AM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

Thanks Olaru,

Don't get to see Aussie marching bands at sporting venues. Not complaining but I'd pay to see this instead of an out of tune aussie anthem.

Kind regards,

Bally

posted on Nov, 12 2015 @ 03:06 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

AM,

You're so lucky to have talented and dedicated marching units like this. Should be more of it.

Cheers,

Bally.

posted on Nov, 12 2015 @ 03:16 AM
link   
a reply to: greencmp

Cheers mate, that wa so natural and inspirational. Great to see them enjoying themselves.

Bally.

posted on Nov, 12 2015 @ 04:46 AM
link   
Hands down the winner of the Internet for all the Whovians !

Doctor Who - Beating The Retreat

posted on Nov, 12 2015 @ 07:49 AM
link   

That was pretty awesome, not going to lie

Thanks for the post, BuzzyWigs

posted on Nov, 12 2015 @ 08:22 AM
link   

That absolutely tickled my fancy.

Thanks for sharing.

posted on Nov, 12 2015 @ 06:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: BuzzyWigs
I tell ya, the drum lines are the BEST!!!

I remember marching in parades, and the drum line would give us our cadence, and it was magical the way it inspired me.

Gives me chills just remembering it!!

I have always loved marching bands. Something very invigorating about them, and the drums are indeed integral!

posted on Nov, 12 2015 @ 06:28 PM
link   

I'm so glad to know there are other "band geeks" on here!!!

We might have been looked down upon 40 years ago - but - hey - there's NOTHING like being part of a marching band.

Precision, cooperation, listening, tuning in, memorization .... all of it.

It's great. So many 'football fans' say "Meh, it's just the half-time show stupid marching band dork thing..."

Oh well. Thanks to you and everyone else who enjoyed the thread!!

posted on Nov, 13 2015 @ 05:14 PM
link   

I wasn't part of one myself - my marching was in JROTC - but my sister was, and I always loved the band! We actually had a couple of people in both, lol! We did participate in games, though, with Color Guard, and we'd monitor (sort of a guard duty) the band equipment while they were on the field. We did some competitions, too, and I loved those! Precision marching is a real skill.

posted on Nov, 13 2015 @ 08:59 PM
link   

Yeah, it was great - being in the competitions.....
our band leader used to say "You're all like a bunch of grannies who can't chew gum and walk at the same time! None of you are "exceptions"!! Do you want a tee-shirt that says "exception"? Now - pay attention to your neighbors in the line - make sure your line is straight! Get your thighs up there parallel to the ground!!!!"

(Yeah, there was none of that 'walking' they do in some bands....nono -)....

anyway - thanks for participating - good times!!

posted on Nov, 14 2015 @ 06:41 AM
link   
That was amazing,I can't wait to show my daughters. My 14 year old is in the Pwroskey high school marching band. They won grand champion status this year. She's a freshman so she's off to a good start. She plays French horn but in the marching band it's the mellophone.

posted on Nov, 14 2015 @ 08:37 PM
link   

ROTFL! Sounds like a fun director! We used to do "drill downs" when marching, from time to time. One error, and you were out. Almost always ended up being the same two of us, and everyone else doing all they could to distract, of course! Ah, I miss that!

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join