It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Veterans...from one hippie in the sixties...thank you.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 11 2015 @ 11:58 AM
link   
I marched in the streets of Ann Arbor Mi and Chicago Il to stop the Vietnam war and bring our troops home.

You wore uniforms and we wore tie dyed and fringe vests. My friends were being sent to Vietnam, and coming home in boxes, one after the other. Others were called "baby-killers" forcing some to change clothes at airport to keep from being spit on.

Your service continues to give us the freedom and ability to do what we did and do in protest and support. We continue to reflect.

Thank you, thank you all, from whichever war or theatre you served, even at home in the Guard, and all the others branches of service.

Mysterioustranger

posted on Nov, 11 2015 @ 12:09 PM
link   
a reply to: mysterioustranger

Veterans day should be about educating people to end wars rather than honoring those who went out and killed because their dictatorship told them to. Many have "served" and many have been "drafted" over the course of time. Those who faced JAILTIME for refusing to become a cog in the gears of war, standing up for the love within their hearts, I commend them. Those who realized after being sent overseas that the wars are wrong, I commend them.

To those who serve because they have adopted the hate that their dictatorship has submerged them in, I pray for you. To those who think killing can be justified, I pray for you. To those blindly "supporting the troops", I pray for you.

posted on Nov, 11 2015 @ 12:22 PM
link   

First you tell us you were a cowering hippy who dodged service then gives us a Tom Hanks style patriotic speech about how great those you protested against are for getting themselves brought back in cardboard boxes for a totally pointless war that destroyed so many lives. Ask the Vietnamese about your good ol' Uncle Sam's Napalm. Mmmm, I love the smell of Napalm in the morning!

Did you participate in MK Ultra by any chance because this thread is trying to find its way to its own evacuation shoot?

I don't comprehend this at all. It is like some goofed up utterance from an acid casualty like Reverend Jim in Taxi!

This ain't Hollywood Mister. This is real life, motives and flesh and blood.

"Not until 1995 did Vietnam release its official estimate of war dead: as many as 2 million civilians on both sides and some 1.1 million North Vietnamese and Viet Cong fighters. The U.S. military has estimated that between 200,000 and 250,000 South Vietnamese soldiers died in the war."

Hmmm now, I wonder how many U.S boys died? Erm it was 211,454.

Ohhh dear what a lot of little peeps got slaughtered that time. Yea, lets celebrate how great the U.S Military machine is. Torturing the world since 1775.

posted on Nov, 11 2015 @ 12:38 PM
link   
a reply to: Revolution9

I PROTESTED the war, and continue to this day to protest all war...

Thanks

posted on Nov, 11 2015 @ 12:41 PM
link   

If you protested the war why are you giving thanks for the brainwashing of your brothers and sisters into killing our other brothers and sisters? Why are you giving them a pat on the back for "serving" (submitting) to the dictatorship? .. As if murdering people on the other side of the world is why we are "free" (when we are not truly free).
edit on 11-11-2015 by chadderson because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 11 2015 @ 12:48 PM
link   

My salute to vets everywhere. You guys are brothers (and sisters) who are the best that can exist!

Now then, mysterioustranger, if I may ask...
Did you, by chance, make it to the Second Atlanta International Pop Festival in early July of 1970?

Just curious... your original stirred some old, old memories, is all

posted on Nov, 11 2015 @ 12:49 PM
link   
a reply to: Revolution9

My current credentials below say otherwise, and I was FAR from being a "cowering hippie" ...and was the total opposite of your mis-reading my thread.

We were against war, kids dying, napalm used to kill innocents...but I can respect your negativity...as well... I suggest you re-read my op.

Also, I was ready to go, bags packed, draft number up during the Nam "war".

MS
1st Responder/EMT-ERT
Advanced Disaster Life Support

Bio-Defense Network
FEMA/Homeland Security
Region 2 South,
Wayne County Mi

posted on Nov, 11 2015 @ 12:52 PM
link   
a reply to: redoubt

No...but was at Kent State when the National Guard KILLED 4 of us...for simply PROTESTING.

This thread should not be about me at all.

Thanks to all of you who served and continue too.

posted on Nov, 11 2015 @ 12:59 PM
link   

This thread should not be about me at all.

It's not, nor was my reply intended as such.

There were vets at that gathering and ironically, they were treated quite well.
Always looking for brothers who remember, is all.

have a nice day.

posted on Nov, 11 2015 @ 01:00 PM
link   
Why must you avoid providing me with a response? Would you please provide the logic behind not supporting wars, yet supporting troops who have served and continue to serve?

True support is helping civilians/reservists/deployed/veterans understand that war is not the answer and should not be supported.

"Your service continues to give us the freedom and ability to do what we did and do in protest and support."

to

"I PROTESTED the war, and continue to this day to protest all war"

to

"Thanks to all of you who served and continue too."

Quite contradictory.

posted on Nov, 11 2015 @ 01:05 PM
link   
a reply to: chadderson

I share every single point you made here...so, obviously you missed something.

And, this is not about me.

posted on Nov, 11 2015 @ 01:07 PM
link   

True support is helping civilians/reservists/deployed/veterans understand that war is not the answer and should not be supported.

If I may...

War is a curse upon mankind. It always has been and likely always will be.
There are wars that are useless and then there are wars that are unavoidable.

Those who take the line should not be judged on the issue of war itself, but of those who stand ready to assure that the right to gripe about them later, remains intact.

Cheers

posted on Nov, 11 2015 @ 01:09 PM
link   

Understood. Thanks...youve gotten my points.

posted on Nov, 11 2015 @ 01:11 PM
link   

It is your post, it details you and your life experiences. This is about you as much as it is about the topic of war. Back your feelings and beliefs up.

posted on Nov, 11 2015 @ 01:13 PM
link   

I will not provide comment about me, except this last one.

All war is wrong, no matter where, and all service people should be applauded even if they are/were stateside.

The rights of all people are/were/will be defended by servicemen and women.

posted on Nov, 11 2015 @ 01:17 PM
link   

In the duality we live, yes war is a part of creation. However my complaint lies in the fact that some come out and publicly applaud troops for serving and continuing to serve. Why are they applauded instead of cared for by the dictatorship that dispensed them in a disposable fashion? Why are they supported in their actions instead of being told they have been had, and we are sorry for them?

While creation may be dualistic it is not impossible to live on an earth where there are no wars. The universe is a big place, the negativity does not need to be culminated on our planet.

posted on Nov, 11 2015 @ 01:18 PM
link   

Well thank you for replying to me, however I still struggle to grasp your logic. You truly believe the servicemen that died are the reason we have "rights"? I do not.

posted on Nov, 11 2015 @ 01:23 PM
link   

While creation may be dualistic it is not impossible to live on an earth where there are no wars. The universe is a big place, the negativity does not need to be culminated on our planet.

Really has nothing to do creation or with the planet itself.

It's all part of the human condition - a natural immaturity of our species.
I hope someday we outgrow it but... I know I won't be around then and I doubt quite seriously if anyone alive today will see it happen.

Here in this day in which we live, our only options are hope for the best while expecting the worst.

posted on Nov, 11 2015 @ 01:25 PM
link   

You truly believe the servicemen that died are the reason we have "rights"? I do not.

I'll pass this along to the vets of the War of Independence, when I pass from this existence to the next

posted on Nov, 11 2015 @ 01:39 PM
link   

When I was brought into this world I had no choice where I was going to be born, what color my skin is, or who my parents were... at least I do not remember.

I was born here and the rights came to me the second I became conscious in this world. The rights are not granted to us by government my friend, although the majority of its inhabitants accept that idea.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join