It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

EU orders consumer warning labels on goods produced in Israeli occupied lands

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 12 2015 @ 11:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: LadyGreenEyes

originally posted by: stumason
a reply to: LadyGreenEyes

It is NOT "discriminatory" - all it is doing is amending the already existing "labels of origin" rules to make a distinction between products which are made in Israel and those made in the Occupied lands.

The EU regards them as illegally occupied lands, not part of Israel so feels consumers should be able to make the choice as to whether they want to purchase products from there.

It's not like they've out a big red label on stuff saying

"WARNING - MADE BY JEWS!"

Here, read some balanced reporting on it:

What is the Commission's suggested wording?
For products from West Bank or the Golan Heights that originate from settlements, the expression "Israeli settlement" or equivalent needs to be added, in brackets, for example. So, "product from the Golan Heights (Israeli settlement)" or "product from West Bank (Israeli settlement)" could be used.

Products from the West Bank not originating from settlements could be labelled "product from Palestine" or "product from West Bank (Palestinian product)".

Since 2009, the UK has implemented voluntary guidelines for labelling, which distinguishes West Bank produce made in Israeli settlements from Palestinian West Bank produce. Similar guidelines have been put in place by Denmark and Belgium.

An EU source told the BBC that the labels would have to include the word "settlement", as under EU consumer law it would be misleading to simply mark them as products from Israel or from the Palestinian territories.

The source said this was not a new obligation or a political decision, but designed to clarify member states' obligations to ensure consumers are fully informed.

The EU, the source added, does not view the occupied territories as legally part of Israel, so products from there cannot be labelled as from Israel or benefit from preferential trade agreements.

Since 2004, produce from settlements have not benefited from trade preferences, and EU law already requires the places of origin of fruits, vegetables and honey to be labelled.

BBC

Wrong! It's claiming that a nation has no right to its land, and labeling products based on the claims of terrorists with no rights to the land at all, to discriminate against the legal nation. The people who would boycott such products would already likely boycott all products from Israel. What this action does is make a stand in claiming that Israel has no right to its land. That is very discriminatory.

First of all Israel has no right to this land it has been explained numerous times that annexing land by force is against international law not to mention other nations recognize that Israel's occupation is illegal. So pointing out that Israel has no right to the land is not discriminatory it's fact. The only people who think Israel has a right to this land are the people that believe in fairy tales.

posted on Nov, 13 2015 @ 05:32 PM
link   

a reply to: LadyGreenEyes

Israel has no rights to that land - since 1947, they have progressively expanded the state of Israel and squeezed the Palestinians into ever smaller area's:

When you can show Palestine on a map, let me know.

And it's just lovely you've labelled everyone as a terrorist. Nice, grown up attitude there.

Lie much? I never called everyone a terrorist. What nonsense!

I think, also, you've got confused. products from Israel proper are marked as such, only products made within the occupied territory are to be labelled differently. It's not about claiming Israel has no rights to it's land, but rather it has no rights to others land and people deserve to know where their products come from.

It's all from Israel. You might not like that, but that's how it is.

posted on Nov, 13 2015 @ 05:43 PM
link   

Do you disagree with the European Union and the United Nations then when they assert that Israel is illegally occupying territory?
May I ask your source to support your argument regarding this element of international politics?

*Edit*
And to clarify, I'm not interested in your opinion, or silly questions in response, I'm asking for your source which convinces you that what the EU and UN assert regarding illegal occupation is not factually correct.
edit on 13.11.2015 by grainofsand because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 13 2015 @ 05:47 PM
link   
It's good news. Another step in the right direction for the Palestinians.

However you might disagree with me...my response to you would be when has telling the truth ever been harmful? Truth is always the best bet. If products are made in Israeli settlements then label them as such. Only those that care will notice.

posted on Nov, 13 2015 @ 05:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: buster2010
First of all Israel has no right to this land it has been explained numerous times that annexing land by force is against international law not to mention other nations recognize that Israel's occupation is illegal. So pointing out that Israel has no right to the land is not discriminatory it's fact. The only people who think Israel has a right to this land are the people that believe in fairy tales.

Not everyone agrees with that opinion. The UN only granted Palestine status in 2012, and that as a non-member observer state. Out of 196 countries, only 134 recognize Palestine. Only eight of the G-20 nations recognize it, and only one of the G-8 nations does so. So, your opinion is far from the only one, and far from proven correct. Since there is no "Palestine" on any map, even old ones, you can't claim the territory was taken from a country that didn't exist.

posted on Nov, 13 2015 @ 06:01 PM
link   

you can't claim the territory was taken from a country that didn't exist.
You can't claim the land wasn't stolen either...unless you know something other parties don't of course...perhaps you should be in international politics as you appear to assert so much?
Maybe nations of the world should be the beneficiaries of your knowledge and there will be peace in the Middle East?

*Edit*

Out of 196 countries, only 134 recognize Palestine.
WTF? That's 68% of countries in the world who recognise Palestine!
Do you deny the majority of the world now oh learned one? Lol
edit on 13.11.2015 by grainofsand because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 13 2015 @ 06:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: grainofsand

Do you disagree with the European Union and the United Nations then when they assert that Israel is illegally occupying territory?
May I ask your source to support your argument regarding this element of international politics?

*Edit*
And to clarify, I'm not interested in your opinion, or silly questions in response, I'm asking for your source which convinces you that what the EU and UN assert regarding illegal occupation is not factually correct.

I disagree with the entire concept of the EU, so I don't agree with their opinions, either. As for the UN, they serious issues as well, with violators of their own rules in high positions, so they are a corrupt body. The United States does not recognize Palestine as a nation, either.

As I stated, this isn't as clear cut as many want it to be. Much of the opinion stated is from an anti-Israel view, and based, most likely, on bigotry.

posted on Nov, 13 2015 @ 06:48 PM
link   

You can't claim the land wasn't stolen either...unless you know something other parties don't of course...perhaps you should be in international politics as you appear to assert so much?
Maybe nations of the world should be the beneficiaries of your knowledge and there will be peace in the Middle East?

*Edit*

Sure I can. The land was theirs before, and they took it back, after a long time.

Maybe you can take your sarcasm and attitude and.....never mind.

Your bias is clear, and I am not arguing with someone who is so biased.

posted on Nov, 14 2015 @ 07:48 AM
link   

*Edit*

Sure I can. The land was theirs before, and they took it back, after a long time.

Maybe you can take your sarcasm and attitude and.....never mind.

Your bias is clear, and I am not arguing with someone who is so biased.
Hahaha biased?! That's rich coming from you!
You don't agree with the concept of the EU so you don't agree with it lol
You don't agree with the UN, and you disagree with 70% of all member nations of it which recognise Palestine as a state, lol again.

...then you bleat bias and run away from the debate?!
Your argument is painfully weak, and it is good that others can see it here.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join