It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

EU orders consumer warning labels on goods produced in Israeli occupied lands

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 11 2015 @ 09:43 AM
link   
Hi

Basically we have a situation where the European commission has adopted the guidelines that all products from Israel occupied lands will have to be labeled so.

I don't really see any difference given that most people don't read labels. All they look at is price and sometimes nutrition or relevant info.

However Israel has called this ridiculous and being discriminated against.

What do you think?

Just tidying up paper work?

Or the Jews being persecuted again?

link

posted on Nov, 11 2015 @ 09:49 AM
link   
a reply to: liteonit6969

This merely confirms the EU is bigoted. No surprise really....

posted on Nov, 11 2015 @ 09:52 AM
link   

No Jews aren't being persecuted again. This is just labeling the products to show they are being made in illegally occupied Palestine. I see this as a good thing because criminals shouldn't be able to profit from their crimes and it will also help the people that support BDS.

posted on Nov, 11 2015 @ 11:18 AM
link   
It is good with information. The same should be done on all products connected to Saudi Arabia so you can choose to not buy products from Wahabbis that support ISIS.

posted on Nov, 11 2015 @ 12:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: liteonit6969
Hi

Basically we have a situation where the European commission has adopted the guidelines that all products from Israel occupied lands will have to be labeled so.

I don't really see any difference given that most people don't read labels. All they look at is price and sometimes nutrition or relevant info.

However Israel has called this ridiculous and being discriminated against.

What do you think?

link

So where is the "WARNING LABEL" ?? just curious

posted on Nov, 11 2015 @ 12:07 PM
link   
a reply to: manuelram16

I'm not sure.

Maybe they will be right across the front to make people feel obligated to buy it. And if they don't they will be anti semetic. If they deny this they will throw them in jail and with a twist of irony be made to use the same Jewish shampoo they refused to buy.

posted on Nov, 11 2015 @ 12:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: liteonit6969
What do you think?
I'm no fan of the EU, but I would support this move if it were to reach stores in the UK.
I wouldn't buy anything if I knew it was produced by Israeli businesses in illegally occupied regions.
I've got nothing against the average Israeli, but living/trading in stolen and illegally held land, well, yes I do have issues with that.

posted on Nov, 11 2015 @ 12:23 PM
link   

Here is a Palestinian's perspective of the issues at hand!

posted on Nov, 11 2015 @ 12:23 PM
link   
a 'WARNING LABEL' is not the same as an 'ORIGIN LABEL'....

posted on Nov, 11 2015 @ 12:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: manuelram16
a 'WARNING LABEL' is not the same as an 'ORIGIN LABEL'....
Exactly, and origin labels are compulsory in the UK already for most foods/wine/olive oil etc if produced outside the EU.
It is that handy origin label which allows me to boycott anything from Argentina.
I would certainly boycott anything produced in illegally held land by Israeli businesses.

posted on Nov, 11 2015 @ 12:35 PM
link   

What do you think?

First of all, Palestine was invented by the Romans following the Jewish revolt.
Calling any of it 'occupied' is basically calling known history, a lie. It belongs to them all.

The Bible predicts that Jews will be persecuted and history shows this to be true, as well.
From that Jewish revolt, when goods from the Temple were hauled to Rome to finance the building of the Coliseum, through Hitler's efforts at extermination, to today... it holds true.

There's a lot of history out there that is worth review but that is today... purposely and completely ignored.

So, to close, let me repeat:
Palestine was invented by the Romans following the Jewish revolt.
Calling any of it 'occupied' is basically calling known history, a lie. It belongs to them all.

edit on 11-11-2015 by redoubt because: correction

posted on Nov, 11 2015 @ 04:52 PM
link   
Bring it on, I like the idea.
A few more I'd boycott too.

posted on Nov, 11 2015 @ 05:36 PM
link   
So all we have here is a misleading post and boycott Israel, moving on...

posted on Nov, 11 2015 @ 10:04 PM
link   

This is clearly discriminatory. If all products already have labels of origin, anything beyond that is bias. Anyone claiming otherwise, simply because they don't like Israel, isn't being honest. Claim you don't care, or that you think it's just, but con't claim it isn't bias.

posted on Nov, 11 2015 @ 10:43 PM
link   
a reply to: LadyGreenEyes

It is NOT "discriminatory" - all it is doing is amending the already existing "labels of origin" rules to make a distinction between products which are made in Israel and those made in the Occupied lands.

The EU regards them as illegally occupied lands, not part of Israel so feels consumers should be able to make the choice as to whether they want to purchase products from there.

It's not like they've out a big red label on stuff saying

"WARNING - MADE BY JEWS!"

Here, read some balanced reporting on it:

What is the Commission's suggested wording?
For products from West Bank or the Golan Heights that originate from settlements, the expression "Israeli settlement" or equivalent needs to be added, in brackets, for example. So, "product from the Golan Heights (Israeli settlement)" or "product from West Bank (Israeli settlement)" could be used.

Products from the West Bank not originating from settlements could be labelled "product from Palestine" or "product from West Bank (Palestinian product)".

Since 2009, the UK has implemented voluntary guidelines for labelling, which distinguishes West Bank produce made in Israeli settlements from Palestinian West Bank produce. Similar guidelines have been put in place by Denmark and Belgium.

An EU source told the BBC that the labels would have to include the word "settlement", as under EU consumer law it would be misleading to simply mark them as products from Israel or from the Palestinian territories.

The source said this was not a new obligation or a political decision, but designed to clarify member states' obligations to ensure consumers are fully informed.

The EU, the source added, does not view the occupied territories as legally part of Israel, so products from there cannot be labelled as from Israel or benefit from preferential trade agreements.

Since 2004, produce from settlements have not benefited from trade preferences, and EU law already requires the places of origin of fruits, vegetables and honey to be labelled.

BBC

posted on Nov, 11 2015 @ 10:52 PM
link   
As consumers we have the right to know where
the products are made, whether it is in China, Japan or israel.
You don't hear China whining about having to list the place
of origin on their label. Fair is fair, enough with the 'special' treatment.
If they have nothing to hide then they should comply
just as China does.
Most ethical companies advertise to their advantage
as FairTrade, NonGMO, UnionMade, obviously israeli products
can not and fail to do that. Not my problem.

posted on Nov, 12 2015 @ 03:33 AM
link   

I remember weeks ago, I came across a potato bag labelled as 'Cyprus Potatoes' / 'Pommes de terres de Chypre'. This was featured on the main label, on the small (mandatory) indications, the real country of origin was : Israel.
Why didn't they label the whole bag as Israel potatoes ? Does Cyprus sounds better than Israel for the average EU consumer ?

The potatoes were sold in Belgium by the Colruyt/SPAR group.

posted on Nov, 12 2015 @ 06:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: stumason

It is NOT "discriminatory" - all it is doing is amending the already existing "labels of origin" rules to make a distinction between products which are made in Israel and those made in the Occupied lands.

The EU regards them as illegally occupied lands, not part of Israel so feels consumers should be able to make the choice as to whether they want to purchase products from there.

It's not like they've out a big red label on stuff saying

"WARNING - MADE BY JEWS!"

Here, read some balanced reporting on it:

What is the Commission's suggested wording?
For products from West Bank or the Golan Heights that originate from settlements, the expression "Israeli settlement" or equivalent needs to be added, in brackets, for example. So, "product from the Golan Heights (Israeli settlement)" or "product from West Bank (Israeli settlement)" could be used.

Products from the West Bank not originating from settlements could be labelled "product from Palestine" or "product from West Bank (Palestinian product)".

Since 2009, the UK has implemented voluntary guidelines for labelling, which distinguishes West Bank produce made in Israeli settlements from Palestinian West Bank produce. Similar guidelines have been put in place by Denmark and Belgium.

An EU source told the BBC that the labels would have to include the word "settlement", as under EU consumer law it would be misleading to simply mark them as products from Israel or from the Palestinian territories.

The source said this was not a new obligation or a political decision, but designed to clarify member states' obligations to ensure consumers are fully informed.

The EU, the source added, does not view the occupied territories as legally part of Israel, so products from there cannot be labelled as from Israel or benefit from preferential trade agreements.

Since 2004, produce from settlements have not benefited from trade preferences, and EU law already requires the places of origin of fruits, vegetables and honey to be labelled.

BBC

Wrong! It's claiming that a nation has no right to its land, and labeling products based on the claims of terrorists with no rights to the land at all, to discriminate against the legal nation. The people who would boycott such products would already likely boycott all products from Israel. What this action does is make a stand in claiming that Israel has no right to its land. That is very discriminatory.

posted on Nov, 12 2015 @ 10:35 PM
link   

Israel has no rights to that land - since 1947, they have progressively expanded the state of Israel and squeezed the Palestinians into ever smaller area's:

And it's just lovely you've labelled everyone as a terrorist. Nice, grown up attitude there.

I think, also, you've got confused. products from Israel proper are marked as such, only products made within the occupied territory are to be labelled differently. It's not about claiming Israel has no rights to it's land, but rather it has no rights to others land and people deserve to know where their products come from.

posted on Nov, 12 2015 @ 11:17 PM
link   
Cypress are a.species of potatoes.

a reply to: theultimatebelgianjoke

top topics

<<   2 >>

join