It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Star Wars Trailers Made Me Cry

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 11 2015 @ 06:41 AM
link   
Wait until you are leaving the cinema after the credits roll. You'll all be crying for a different reason. Lol.

posted on Nov, 11 2015 @ 07:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: Iamnotadoctor
Wait until you are leaving the cinema after the credits roll. You'll all be crying for a different reason. Lol.

There may be some truth to this statement. I am a Star Wars fan, but I just don't trust Disney and JJ. I feel a disturbance in the force.

posted on Nov, 11 2015 @ 08:30 AM
link   

What gives? Help me out.

i think i got an answer, please don't throw # at me if you don't like it.

andropause, nostalgia, and the stone FACT that abrams really is that #ing good at punching you in the jimmy of your heart.

just let it happen, bud.

posted on Nov, 11 2015 @ 09:40 AM
link   
a reply to: Bybyots

It's just purely and simply nostalgia.

Go with it.

posted on Nov, 11 2015 @ 11:37 AM
link   
a reply to: kosmicjack

Thing is I didn't when the prequels came out I was happy to see them but this one...maybe to do with the original cast seeing the Falcon and hearing chewi cry I dunno.
Attempting to get ordained at the moment and becoming a grey jedi.

posted on Nov, 11 2015 @ 12:55 PM
link   

I think that the ages of people affected by this are the key.

In 1977 I was 9 years old and living in a grey dull rural conservative place. When the Imperial cruiser thundered endlessly overhead and went on forever it was like a light went on in my brain. I remember it distinctly to this day.
My mind was prised open to an entire universe of fantasy and science fiction and it was a kind of rite of passage.

The movie had just finished when I wanted to see it again ...immediately lol!
I always loved cinema but never had a film inspired and excited me so much.

People today cannot comprehend what a complete game changer it was. The special effects were literally jaw dropping for their day and it was a simple eternal story told in a visually exciting format that literally altered how I looked at the universe and I began to comprehend the concept of being part of a galaxy instead of a small community. It pushed me through a doorway filled with possibility.

Since that day the "20th Century Fox" fanfare gives me a little tingle of anticipation before the movie starts (I'll miss that) and the John Williams score awakens the butterflies in my stomach.

For me, a Star Wars movie is a time machine of sorts. The blue writing on the screen catapults me back to a long time ago in a cinema far far away.

Next December, in a darkened theater I'll sit and watch the new movie and even though to everyone else I will look like a middle aged man, there will actually be a nine year old boy with butterflies in his stomach..
edit on 1200000011pm1108 E12 by HumansEh because: The force wasn't with me

posted on Nov, 11 2015 @ 12:56 PM
link   
I tear up like a damn little boy every time I see new trailer...so I get it.

People today cannot comprehend what a complete game changer it was. The special effects were literally jaw dropping for their day and it was a simple eternal story told in a visually exciting format that literally altered how I looked at the universe and I began to comprehend the concept of being part of a galaxy instead of a small community. It pushed me through a doorway filled with possibility.

That pretty much nails it for me too. I was 6 when I saw it for the first time in theaters. It was so unlike anything that had come before, and people today just don't understand that, with what has come out since.

Interesting thing I read today. It was from an article in yesterday's Variety. J.J. Abrams said, " Or seeing the sweetness between Han and Rey or the tension and comedy between Han and Finn.”

This supports my theory (and most others')...that Rey is Han and Leia's daughter. My guess is also that Kylo Ren is Rey's twin brother...Ren and Rey...makes sense, especially with the Star Wars emphasis on twins. In the books before, Han and Leia also had twins, Jacen and Jaina.

It also supports the pretty easy theory that Finn is Lando's kid. (the comedy between the two).
edit on 11-11-2015 by Gazrok because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 12 2015 @ 01:23 AM
link   
a reply to: kosmicjack

It's just purely and simply nostalgia.

Well I dunno. After reading all of the other posts do you still think so?

I think and feel as though I have a very nuanced and penetrating appreciation for nostalgia for an average guy, and I am not sold on nostalgia being the answer to the crying.

The experience of spontaneously crying over the trailers has for me none of the characteristic elements of nostalgia, except for crying, which is certainly not always an element of an nostalgic experience, or thought, or whatever.

posted on Nov, 12 2015 @ 01:35 AM
link   
a reply to: ATODASO

Okay first of all:

...please don't throw # at me if you don't like it.

You are a sasquatch. "Throw # at" is just what we do with sasquatches. Don't make me post a SlimJim commercial.

...andropause,

Christ. Okay, so if I was somehow carefully pumped up to 25-year-old levels of test are you saying I wouldn't cry?

...punching you in the jimmy of your heart.

Heart Jimmy. # Yeah!

edit on 12-11-2015 by Bybyots because: . : .

posted on Nov, 12 2015 @ 02:05 AM
link   
a reply to: Baddogma

It ain't the movie... it's the stopwatch counting down to decrepitude and death...

Well put and punctuated. Nevertheless, you need the fish-slap, not me (and I say that in the most loving and supportive manner).

posted on Nov, 12 2015 @ 06:38 AM
link   

Okay, so if I was somehow carefully pumped up to 25-year-old levels of test are you saying I wouldn't cry?

i'm saying i doubt your t'd up 25 yr old self would have. i don't know what effect hrt would have on you now.

i appear to be the only dude under 40 posting here, and that trailer sure as # didn't wring me out me the way it has you guys. in a way, i wish it had. if you can honestly tell me you didn't start crying more in general post-40, and that the way you reacted to the star wars trailer might be due (in part) to age-related emotional changes, i'll lope back off into the woods and mind my own business.

posted on Nov, 12 2015 @ 01:30 PM
link   
a reply to: ATODASO

if you can honestly tell me you didn't start crying more in general post-40, and that the way you reacted to the star wars trailer might be due (in part) to age-related emotional changes, i'll lope back off into the woods and mind my own business.

You're right: I can't. You've got a really good point there. Aside from the trailers and the crying, to further address your point, I am sort of fascinated by how things change hormonally for men and women as they age; it's like two hormone-ships that are headed in opposite directions in slow motion. There's a relatively brief period when they meet, in passing, somewhere out at sea.

It's weird.

P.S. Okay, I got it: This weekend I'll do an experiment. I'll start pumping myself full of maca and epimedium sagittatum and I'll try and face down those trailers on Sat. Can you schedule that in amongst being busy with being a giant elusive hominid?

P.S.S. Oh wait. I'm no endocrinologist, but I am pretty sure that based on my limited understanding of it all that what I am suggesting likely will not work as not only do our hormones change as we age, but the same ones act on us differently once we reach some critical point at around 50 years of age.

So what will likely happen is that I will cry even harder and then binge-watch Firefly.

May as well spare myself the prostatic swelling associated with the epimedium, I guess.

posted on Nov, 13 2015 @ 07:42 AM
link   

I'll start pumping myself full of maca and epimedium sagittatum...

i had to look those up, and i gotta tell ya, that sounds like a terrible plan.

you're right, hormones are weird and don't do the things you expect them to. dose a post-menopausal woman with t-cream, and her verbal memory improves. since it's a male hormone, you'd expect it to have a masculinizing effect on the brain and improve spatial awareness or some #, but no. it just makes her brain better at what it's already built to be good at, verbal processing. not only that, but the effect of the absence or presence of any given hormone on the brain is cumulative. dosing a 40+ dude with a one-time shot of t is not going to reverse years worth of changes in his emotional processing.

May as well spare myself the prostatic swelling associated with the epimedium, I guess.

anyways, looking forward to seeing the film in 3-d.

edit on 13-11-2015 by ATODASO because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 9 2016 @ 11:46 PM
link   
Finally saw the movie.

I'm glad I waited for the DVD, because as-expexted I wept like a baby. During scenes with no music.

I remember thinking 2/3s of the way through that I'd like to put a headlock on Abrams while watching the film and blubbering all over him.

That's how I'd show my respect.

edit on 9-4-2016 by Bybyots because: . : .

posted on Apr, 10 2016 @ 06:05 AM
link   

Through your tears did you not wonder how a female, self taught, force user overpowered a Male, trained force user who exhibits force abilities hitherto unseen??

Or how Maz's castle stood throughout the Empire but cant last 10 minutes when one First Order fugitive arrives.

Or why, Luke Skywalker is apparently on an eco holiday when there is an enemy, over a long period of time, doing EXACTLY the same thing as he'd just successfully risked his life to stop..
On top of that he just allowed his best friend, brother in law and saviour of the Galaxy get killed by a lightsaber by someone a self taught girl could beat who represents said enemy!

Why not throw yourself off that cliff Luke as you are the worst jedi ever.

Whatever happens from now on, Luke, we dont need you as the one time we need someone with experience of a light saber and big Lasers in round objects you are on holiday!!!

I see you Disney- and I say no.

posted on Apr, 10 2016 @ 07:15 AM
link   

Ha that's interesting. I was a big fan as a child, of the first 3 movies.

This was the first trailer I watched of the new movie. The part around 1:05 when the music really sets in almost affected me on a spiritual level, like that feeling of pure marvel only a kid can get.

It's done so well that it almost feels evil.

posted on Apr, 10 2016 @ 04:09 PM
link   
a reply to: Jukiodone

Through your tears did you not wonder how a female, self taught, force user overpowered a Male, trained force user who exhibits force abilities hitherto unseen??

Not really. In all honesty, it seemed obvious as things were developing that she was somehow becoming a conduit for The Force.

I really felt like Abrams did a good job of letting the movie get out of the way of the story and its established symbolism in a Bergman-esque way when he would just allow the movie's images to convey the story, like at the end with Luke, or when Rey closes her eyes and Abrams lets it go on impossibly long; that's good stuff, that I wanted to see.

Or how Maz's castle stood throughout the Empire but cant last 10 minutes when one First Order fugitive arrives.

Ah, again, not so much. I found it utterly believable that once they had the coordinates that the characters were able to get around so quickly; seems Abrams leveraged what was already there in a more powerful way: they had "light speed" and Falcon is already known to be a stupidly fast ship.

So, no, once the First Order had the coordinates they just went in and wasted Maz's place.

edit on 10-4-2016 by Bybyots because:

Or why, Luke Skywalker is apparently on an eco holiday when there is an enemy, over a long period of time, doing EXACTLY the same thing as he'd just successfully risked his life to stop..

Nope. He's dangerously powerful and insane. Imagine the human mind trying to accommodate everything he's been through. Pretty sure that's what Abrams is going with, and I'm down with that. Also, I know that Abram's is drawing from the Dark Horse comics and Luke isn't a purely "light-side" Jedi; He's grey.

Okay, so here's where I'm coming from: I feel vindicated and healed by Abram's effort. I can now let go of the trauma caused by Lucas touching me in a bad place. Best of all, somehow Abrams has caused me to realize that it's really just for kids, it's for me, too, but I see Lucas' point now.

All of your questions are really good ones, don't get me wrong, it's just that so much of what I wanted to see shown in the way that I wanted to see it was in A's movie. It rocked. I'm about to watch it a third time in less than 24 hours.

...did you not wonder how a female, self taught, force user overpowered a Male,

I wanted to revisit this one. Again, no: Rey was already an established badass shown kicking the crap out of two trained hit-men in the marketplace. Then she charges Finn, not knowing who he is; like a madwoman.

Maybe if it was a wrestling match, but it was all light sabres, then Rey gets the Force download/upgrade; my money's on Rey. I'm not at all surprised that she handed Ren his ass.

*shrug*

edit on 10-4-2016 by Bybyots because:

posted on Apr, 10 2016 @ 04:31 PM
link   
a reply to: DutchMasterChief

I was a big fan as a child, of the first 3 movies.

It's done so well that it almost feels evil.

You should see it. When it's time be sure to do so.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join