It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The quality of tv shows these days

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 10 2015 @ 06:38 AM
link   
Here it is,i rarely watch tv,i do like movies and i watch them regularly,it has been a while but i switched it on through morbid curiosity and complete and utter boredom and lo and behold i got to watch this little gem.....for your viewing displeasure (i guess depending on which side of the fence you sit on )....

My son the jihadi ....omfg really...this a British show....

Can anyone give me a reasonable reason as to why this rubbish is airing on prime time tv,other than molding peoples opinions towards a really dangerous place

Now this is not a dig at the brits,i love the English people and have spent many years there including my youth in an English boarding school,not that it was a pleasant memory but i am sure very few boarding schools are...before you ask my parents were more interested in money than children..C'est la vie...

Anyhow i hurt my back today and Valium and beer are keeping me mobile maybe not so coherent...either way....i am completely disgusted that this rubbish is aired as prime time tv and i have no doubt it goes a long way to forming many peoples opinions

I apologise as i will sleep it off and reply if needed tomorrow when i am a little more lucid
edit on 10-11-2015 by hopenotfeariswhatweneed because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 10 2015 @ 07:01 AM
link   
This reminds me of what my grandma used to say about my music, I guess different eras = different taste.

posted on Nov, 10 2015 @ 07:13 AM
link   
a reply to: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

Dude, for someone who claims to never watch tv, I've gotta say, the one time you've decided to watch it you've really hooked up with some complete crap.

What you want to do is hook up with some shows that are entertaining, help to pass the time and are just awesome in general... Because the s# you've posted is just for the simpletons with incredibly low basic intelligence.

What you want to do is get on to 'silicon valley', 'always sunny in Philadelphia' or 'Shameless', for example.

I mean, if your going to watch feeble minded tv shows, ya might as well watch the entertaining ones... seriously dude.

posted on Nov, 10 2015 @ 07:28 AM
link   

I have not seen this show.

I did see another show called Immigration Street, which detailed the life and times of persons living in the most culturally, and ethnically diverse road in Britain, on which there are folks from every walk of life, from "native" Britons, to third and fourth generation Pakistani Britons, to Jamaicans, Iranians, Iraqis, persons from different regions of the African continent, Chinese... The list goes on and on, and there are different religions being practiced, from none at all for some, right the way up to devout Muslims and Hindus and God knows how many others.

From the title of the show, you can assume certain things about its content. However, not all of those assumptions are accurate. For example, if you believe the intention of the film maker was to highlight racial tension, then in fact, you could not be further from the truth. The show actually exhibited just how much unity there was in that street. There were moments when the film crew came under assault from thrown objects and insults, but they were directed at the crew because the locals believed that their street, and the multicultural lifestyle they had adopted was going to be misrepresented in the press, that it might try to paint a picture of tensions being present in the affairs of residents of that road, which were not present at all.

The only thing which had caused any tension on that street, given the unity expressed by the various sub communities there, was the presence of the film crew. Other than that, the film actually presented us with a look at a healthy, vibrant, and interesting community where everyone was living side by side, if not in gushing joy and ecstatic communion, then at least in the sort of peace you would expect from a decent street anywhere else, and a hell of a lot more than you would see in many other places with a less diverse community.

The film makers got run out of town, but that was largely because they used an inflammatory title for their work, which made the residents hyper suspicious of their intentions, and given what we know of the media, I cannot blame the community for misidentifying the true nature of the work that was afoot on the film crews part.

Despite the ugly ending, with the film crew pinned down by stone throwers and having their lives threatened verbally, it showed a community of solidarity and mutual respect. It made me love my country a little more, and that is something which is rare these days.

It's not all bad, right wing, biased filth. Just some of it is.

posted on Nov, 10 2015 @ 07:37 AM
link   
While there are some really dump shows around, especially talking about reality shows types, they have some real mind fragging tactical editors, its like one dude or one system is used on each and every dang tv shows, especially reality ones.. They got breaks for commercial all the time during the show and each time it seems they come back with "what happens next and after that..." showing the next scenes highlights and basically giving us the plot and way we approach it etc.

Also i believe many if not most of these reality shows are fabricated as reality shows, not so real but close to it, perhaps they remake some scenes so often that it imprints to the general motion or something..

posted on Nov, 10 2015 @ 07:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: hopenotfeariswhatweneed
Here it is,i rarely watch tv,i do like movies and i watch them regularly,it has been a while but i switched it on through morbid curiosity and complete and utter boredom and lo and behold i got to watch this little gem.....for your viewing displeasure (i guess depending on which side of the fence you sit on )....

My son the jihadi ....omfg really...this a British show....

Can anyone give me a reasonable reason as to why this rubbish is airing on prime time tv,other than molding peoples opinions towards a really dangerous place

Now this is not a dig at the brits,i love the English people and have spent many years there including my youth in an English boarding school,not that it was a pleasant memory but i am sure very few boarding schools are...before you ask my parents were more interested in money than children..C'est la vie...

Anyhow i hurt my back today and Valium and beer are keeping me mobile maybe not so coherent...either way....i am completely disgusted that this rubbish is aired as prime time tv and i have no doubt it goes a long way to forming many peoples opinions

I apologise as i will sleep it off and reply if needed tomorrow when i am a little more lucid

This is a documentary. If you aren't interested in the topic, which appears to be how a normal person joins a terror group and the effect on their family, then you shouldn't watch it.

From Your title I expected examples like 'Dancing With the Stars' , 'Bad Girls Club' or one of the reality housewives shows.
edit on 10-11-2015 by reldra because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 10 2015 @ 07:47 AM
link   
a reply to: reldra

Agree.. I was a b it confused as to what their point was... it was on the tv here tonight and I avoided it.. I certainly wouldnt have endured it knowing how much against the topic I may have been lol..

As far as I was aware it was a doco about western youth who have turned extremist and gone to iraq/syria whatnot.. which is something happening, whether they like to believe it or not...

posted on Nov, 10 2015 @ 07:50 AM
link   
If you want mind numbing, you should look at American TV. 90% of the shows are "reality" Tv / unscripted crap that only a mentally impaired person would find intellectually satisfying.
Seriously, they remind me of the kind of shows feature on the movie Idiocracy. Pretty soon they'll have shows like Ouch , my balls, Which poop is mine?, or Some similar nonsense. The History Channel's "shows" have little or nothing to do with history, the same with Animal Planet (hardly a thing about animals), and the same goes for other stations. Either they're lowering the quality of their programming to match the lowering IQ of the people who watch that garbage or they're trying to dumb people down. I haven't figured out which yet.
edit on 10-11-2015 by Skid Mark because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 10 2015 @ 07:51 AM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

"There were moments when the film crew came under assault from thrown objects and insults, but they were directed at the crew because the locals believed that their street".

Sounds a bit like Palestine and Syria to me!

Since when has a community who throw stones together been progressive and all the nice liberal things you describe? Since the time of Jesus I suppose when they threw stones for supposed "justice". The very fact that this crew were targeted in this fashion reveals just what kind of community this is.

I don't see how you can say they did right to be doing this in a street in Britain. If anything you have just made the OP seem even more credible. I don't want the kind of so called "justice" of throwing stones on any of the streets in the UK. It is a sure sign of barbarism and brutality.

Yes, something is very wrong because people are acting like this as communities and this trash TV is inciting it and spreading it big time.

edit on 10-11-2015 by Revolution9 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 10 2015 @ 08:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: Revolution9

"There were moments when the film crew came under assault from thrown objects and insults, but they were directed at the crew because the locals believed that their street".

Sounds a bit like Palestine and Syria to me!

Since when has a community who throw stones together been progressive and all the nice liberal things you describe? Since the time of Jesus I suppose when they threw stones for supposed "justice". The very fact that this crew were targeted in this fashion reveals just what kind of community this is.

I don't see how you can say they did right to be doing this in a street in Britain. If anything you have just made the OP seem even more credible. I don't want the kind of so called "justice" of throwing stones on any of the streets in the UK. It is a sure sign of barbarism and brutality.

Yes, something is very wrong because people are acting like this as communities and this trash TV is inciting it and spreading it big time.

Maybe they were throwing rose petals and kittens? a tolerant multicultural society would never be violent against something they perceive as saying something against them.

Or maybe it was just a tiny minority that did it, and the majority sit back aghast at the idea... and turn a blind eye..

who can tell.. won't be too long before stone throwing is a way of life and then you'd be having stones thrown at you for your post !

posted on Nov, 10 2015 @ 08:15 AM
link   
a reply to: Revolution9

Bloody nonsense.

If you came with a camera crew down to some of the tower blocks in the town centre near my place, and started casting aspersions on the community there, you wouldn't get insults and street grit thrown at you, but the gangs that run the tower blocks WOULD beat you half to death and urinate all over you. Those individuals are criminals.

I am not saying that would be right, but what the community I highlighted in my previous post did, was simply protective of their community. They would have done much worse, if they were in any way malicious, rather than righteously aggravated.

posted on Nov, 10 2015 @ 08:34 AM
link   

If you came with a camera crew down to some of the tower blocks in the town centre near my place, and started casting aspersions on the community there, you wouldn't get insults and street grit thrown at you, but the gangs that run the tower blocks WOULD beat you half to death and urinate all over you.

That's a drop the mic and walk away sentence dude...you summed it up perfectly.

What else could anyone say back to that, which isn't just mindless babble?
edit on 10-11-2015 by Subaeruginosa because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 10 2015 @ 09:44 AM
link   

I also can't believe this is a real show. What are they thinking!?

^ Pretty much sums it up, no? Television is pure trash
edit on 10-11-2015 by FamCore because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 10 2015 @ 12:28 PM
link   

The quality of tv shows these days

If you are displeased with the quality of TV shows....make your own. Be the change you seek.

You can start here.....

www.celtx.com...

Shoot a pilot, take it to a pitch fest like this one....surely they have one in Europe.

Below is my favorite.

fadeinonline.com...

Anyone can now make a feature move, TV show or webseries. Technology has changed everything...except...

You need a story, a concept and a script to get anyone interested in your idea. Good content can always find an audience.
Do you have what it takes?

Join us...and quit bitchin!

eta....If perchance you do hit it big with a pilot or treatment...you can make obscene amounts of money.
edit on 10-11-2015 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 10 2015 @ 02:52 PM
link   
Yup I hate 99% of television programming. The wife insist on us having it so she pays for it all. The only time you will catch me watching tv is for game shows. I am partial to the price is right I've always watched it at my grandmas.

I can't stand the shows she watches such as Criminal Minds which to me is a sick deprived show and anything on TLC(THE LEARNING CHANNLE HOW IN THE HOLY # DID IT GET THAT NANE?!!!?!!)which airs crap like that boo boo child nonsense and I'm too stupid to know I was pregnant. Don't get me started on reality t.v. my life is plenty interesting and I couldn't care less what uncle Si has to say or why little Johnny needs a tour through prison.

For me entertainment comes in the form of podcasts,reading, and I subscribe to an Anime service which is dirt cheap for some pretty good shows.

edit on 10-11-2015 by Athetos because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 10 2015 @ 02:55 PM
link   
Hard pass I'd rather completely abstain. Have you made obscene amounts of money doing that? Just curious.

a reply to: olaru12

posted on Nov, 10 2015 @ 07:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: Athetos
Hard pass I'd rather completely abstain. Have you made obscene amounts of money doing that? Just curious.

a reply to: olaru12

Actually I have done pretty well as a producer/director on other peoples films/TV pilots as well as being a staff writer for an indy production company. My own small production company is actually in debt, but the process of making films is very exciting, challenging and has rewards other than money...wink, wink

Most of the money I have made in the film industry is a result of being a union SAG/AFTRA actor.

www.sagaftra.org...

Not even close to being known but staying busy as a day player/background extra on the myriad of productions that are shot here in the Land of Enchanment.....aka...Tamalewood.

edit on 10-11-2015 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 10 2015 @ 08:21 PM
link   

I started to watch this show last night and fell asleep , absolutely riveting , not .

posted on Nov, 10 2015 @ 09:33 PM
link   
Thank you all for your replies

@Subaeruginosa...yep i picked a doozy...Thank you for giving me choices of shows but i will decline,i am not about to start spending alot of time in front of the box i find it to be an incredible waste of time, i was just shocked that actually gets air time....

posted on Nov, 10 2015 @ 09:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: Skid Mark
If you want mind numbing, you should look at American TV. 90% of the shows are "reality" Tv / unscripted crap that only a mentally impaired person would find intellectually satisfying.
Seriously, they remind me of the kind of shows feature on the movie Idiocracy. Pretty soon they'll have shows like Ouch , my balls, Which poop is mine?, or Some similar nonsense. The History Channel's "shows" have little or nothing to do with history, the same with Animal Planet (hardly a thing about animals), and the same goes for other stations. Either they're lowering the quality of their programming to match the lowering IQ of the people who watch that garbage or they're trying to dumb people down. I haven't figured out which yet.

Your post made me laugh...i totally agree....and i would go with matching the lowered IQ's if i were to hazard a guess...

Loved that movie hellraiser when it came out...it scared me i was only a young fella

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join