It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Confessions of a church-going atheist

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 9 2015 @ 12:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: DISRAELI
Are the people who give stars technically "in" a thread?
I would naturally apply the phrase to those adding a post, in which case we're only talking about one person.

While they didnt post, they have weighed in with their support of that members position.

Rather outnumbered by users making more positive comments.

Also irrelevant, I didn't say all or most christians in the thread, just some.......

posted on Nov, 9 2015 @ 01:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Prezbo369
All this doesn't alter the fact that

originally posted by: Tenebris
a reply to: DISRAELI
Yes, and I'm thankful that everyone else is understanding.

edit on 9-11-2015 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 9 2015 @ 01:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: Benevolent Heretic

originally posted by: Kangaruex4Ewe
Nobody sees nasty, hateful acting Christians and asks how they can get a piece of that for themselves.

Absolutely! Who would want to be part of a group whose members think, act or speak in an exclusionary way toward you?

I still remember (I was probably 8-9) when a group of about 6 hippies came into our church and sat on the floor in front of the first pew. The church was overly crowded and there was literally standing room only, and not much of that. I watched in astonishment as the deacons led them back outside... I will always remember the embarrassment and confusion I felt at that action by my church. Bad news...

Man it would have been great if you had gotten up and left with them. Then when someone asked you what you were doing, just say, "Well I was under the impression this was a house of God. Clearly if God's wayward flock aren't welcome in the church then it isn't a real house of God."

posted on Nov, 9 2015 @ 05:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: Prezbo369

originally posted by: DISRAELI
a reply to: Tenebris
Be fair,I think you got that reaction from ONE person in this thread.
Did you not read any of the other replies?

That ONE persons replies received many stars in support of their intolerance.

Prezbo, I would think there are as many if not more intolerant atheists out there than Christians
I can also understand the intolerance
Would an atheist organisation happily employ a Christian and expect no complaints by their organizations members?
I don't believe that you and your atheist kin are any more altruistic than anyone else

I can certainly understand the reason the OT doesn't want to tell people he works for he is not a Christian, why he hides the information, why he is lying.
Because he thinks it's wrong, he is being deceitful

I wonder prezbo, if you had the opportunity of employing someone in an atheist organisation, would you even consider employing a religious person?
Would you employ a religious person in a secular roll?

I probably won't believe your answer so don't waste your time replying

Have a nice day

posted on Nov, 9 2015 @ 05:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

originally posted by: Benevolent Heretic

originally posted by: Kangaruex4Ewe
Nobody sees nasty, hateful acting Christians and asks how they can get a piece of that for themselves.

Absolutely! Who would want to be part of a group whose members think, act or speak in an exclusionary way toward you?

I still remember (I was probably 8-9) when a group of about 6 hippies came into our church and sat on the floor in front of the first pew. The church was overly crowded and there was literally standing room only, and not much of that. I watched in astonishment as the deacons led them back outside... I will always remember the embarrassment and confusion I felt at that action by my church. Bad news...

Man it would have been great if you had gotten up and left with them. Then when someone asked you what you were doing, just say, "Well I was under the impression this was a house of God. Clearly if God's wayward flock aren't welcome in the church then it isn't a real house of God."

It's unfortunate more Christians can't and don't act in the manner you described, it's an sorry indictment on Christians.
I know of a very similar story relating to a group of bikes.

posted on Nov, 10 2015 @ 04:07 AM
link   
a reply to: Raggedyman

What's an 'atheist organisation'? There is no such thing. How could there be, that makes no sense.
Do you mean 'non-Christian'?
You can't ask folk what their religion is if you're employing someone, it's rude. Also it can't be used to discriminate against a potential employee and so you don't have to answer if anyone's daft enough to ask you.

posted on Nov, 10 2015 @ 05:20 AM
link   
a reply to: beansidhe
There's always the British Humanist Association, which comes close.
I used to be a member in my atheist days. I must have done; I remember receiving the magazines.

posted on Nov, 10 2015 @ 05:38 AM
link   

That's true, good point. Would they employ a Christian? I suspect they might, though. I went to a Humanist funeral once, it was absolutely lovely, a real celebration of the man's life - it was very personal to him.

posted on Nov, 10 2015 @ 06:09 AM
link   
a reply to: beansidhe
I suspect the British Humanist Association would be as relaxed about it as the English church mentioned in the OP.
As far as I can tell, the aggressiveness on both sides is tending to come from the Americans.

posted on Nov, 10 2015 @ 06:56 AM
link   

Seems to be. The C of E isn't known for its 'fire and brimstone' approach.
Mind you, the wee Free's up here could give the Evangelicals a run for their money. My great-grandfather threw the new (then) Church of Scotland minister out of the church for making a mockery of a service by singing (hymns).

edit on 10-11-2015 by beansidhe because: possessive!

posted on Nov, 10 2015 @ 07:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: Raggedyman
Prezbo, I would think there are as many if not more intolerant atheists out there than Christians

Maybe, however my point was that there are a lot of intolerant Christians in this thread.

Of course you can....

Would an atheist organisation happily employ a Christian and expect no complaints by their organizations members?
I don't believe that you and your atheist kin are any more altruistic than anyone else

Sure they would, an employee is an employee at the end of the day and as long as their beliefs don't get in the way of doing their job there would be no problem. You seem to think atheists are anti-theist by default.

can certainly understand the reason the OT doesn't want to tell people he works for he is not a Christian, why he hides the information, why he is lying.

Is your understanding based on how you would treat such a person in your church? if he can play the organ and do his job, what difference does it make to anyone?

I wonder prezbo, if you had the opportunity of employing someone in an atheist organisation, would you even consider employing a religious person?

If the person can do their job, then of course I would.......however I sense this wouldn't be the case for yourself.

Have a nice day

Shocking.....truly...fingers in ears eh?

posted on Nov, 10 2015 @ 08:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: NthOther

I think the arrogant contempt for their beliefs is obvious.

Do you think you'd be getting organ lessons (and a job) for free if you told them you're an atheist?

If not, then you're misleading your benefactors.

That is a form of lying.

Dude... WTF are you on??
This person is playing organ... that's it, the church probably do not give crap if he believes or not, just that he plays good music.

Grow up.

posted on Nov, 10 2015 @ 08:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: Prezbo369

Maybe, however my point was that there are a lot of intolerant Christians in this thread.

Of course you can....

Sure they would, an employee is an employee at the end of the day and as long as their beliefs don't get in the way of doing their job there would be no problem. You seem to think atheists are anti-theist by default.

can certainly understand the reason the OT doesn't want to tell people he works for he is not a Christian, why he hides the information, why he is lying.

Is your understanding based on how you would treat such a person in your church? if he can play the organ and do his job, what difference does it make to anyone?

If the person can do their job, then of course I would.......however I sense this wouldn't be the case for yourself.

Have a nice day

Shocking.....truly...fingers in ears eh?

You embarass yourself

I made my feelings very clear on the first page.
You are projecting your stereotypical antichristian hate onto me
Please act like an adult.

If you can't understand another persons view then you have a simple and closed mind

I disagree with Christians who wouldn't allow him to learn the organ, I am not so arrogant as to say I can't understand why

Your hate and intolerance for Christianity is well documented on this forum, I am sad for you

Fighting for nothing

Just one more thing my dear friend
I will take this idea to my church as an outreach

Free music lessons in the church for anybody in the community, Muslim, Buddhist or even atheist, yes free

Cool idea, the gospel in music
edit on 10-11-2015 by Raggedyman because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 10 2015 @ 08:39 AM
link   

You embarass yourself

I made my feelings very clear on the first page.
You are projecting your stereotypical antichristian hate onto me
Please act like an adult.

.....you only just said you understood the intolerance of the Christians in this thread.....lol wth

If you can't understand another persons view then you have a simple and closed mind

Come come, there's no need to throw out an ad hom is there? I cant understand racist views, does that make me closed minded?....

Your hate and intolerance for Christianity is well documented on this forum, I am sad for you

On the contrary, I find Christianity, Christians and the entire plethora of religions to be fascinating.

Just one more thing my dear friend

Seems passive aggressive...

I will take this idea to my church as an outreach

Free music lessons in the church for anybody in the community, Muslim, Buddhist or even atheist, yes free

Cool idea, the gospel in music

I do hope this comes to fruition, but please do not consider anyone that doesn't declare their beliefs to you to be a liar, OK?
edit on 10-11-2015 by Prezbo369 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 10 2015 @ 04:57 PM
link   
I understand why IS are killing people, doesn't mean I agree, stretch that mind, learn to understand, it will make you less like them in dealing with others

Ad hominem? Sorry didn't realise you of all people were so fragile, I will walk more gently around you

I would consider the music lessons an outreach to non Christians, that would be the whole point, thought that was very clear,
I consider everyone to be a liar, they can declare as they wish, it's not my concern, I can even understand why they may do it.

I will leave you the final word, you can have your victory

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join