It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Florida eighth-grader gets detention for hugging a friend

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 7 2015 @ 08:00 PM
link   

Before this week, 14-year-old Ella Fishbough had never gotten in trouble at school.

The cheerful, curly-haired eighth-grader’s undoing came when she learned that a male friend was having a bad day. As consolation, Ella put her arms around him in a hug.

“It was literally for a second,” the eighth-grader told Click Orlando. But that moment earned her a morning in detention — as well as a blemish on her formerly spotless disciplinary record.

Ella attends Jackson Heights Middle School in Oviedo, Fla., part of the Seminole County School District. The district’s code of conduct prohibits “inappropriate or obscene acts” including “unwelcome or inappropriate touching, or any other physical act that is considered to be offensive, socially unacceptable or not suitable for an educational setting.”
www.washingtonpost.com...

Am sorry for not sounding super patriotic right now, but America is beginning to suck really really bad , no! it's not Iraq or Afghanistan ,Somalia ,Yemen and Saudi Arabia but it ain't the country I remembered either and no! I am not giving into nostalgia of memories of some golden age..but who are these soulless automatons running your lives who trade freedom of expression for fear being offended, who trades common sense for zero tolerance ,who trade simple public displays of affection for fear that it will lead to sex.. Who are those pricks and why do we let them do what they do.

posted on Nov, 7 2015 @ 08:06 PM
link   
My grandson's elementary school has a "hands off, no physical contact" policy.

I think its pretty standard these days.

I'm betting this girl knows her school has this rule.

+8 more 
posted on Nov, 7 2015 @ 08:08 PM
link   
a reply to: Annee
Yeah.
Well, kids are sort of known for breaking rules.

But a comforting hug? No room for a judgement call?

posted on Nov, 7 2015 @ 08:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Spider879

I graduated high school in 2005, and the entire time I was in school we had the same policy in place. The only difference was you could choose a detention or a dollar fine. I don't think it is that out if the ordinary. A hug though isn't that big if a deal, but depends who sees you do it I guess.

posted on Nov, 7 2015 @ 08:11 PM
link   
This is where Liberal insanity has run amok. The Department of Education needs to be scrapped.

link   

originally posted by: Annee

Elementary school, that's how we are living right now, kids may not point a gun finger, hug your buddy toss your friend to the ground and rough housed ,for fear of...it will lead to something

link   

originally posted by: Phage
Yeah.

If you read the article, she had a previous warning with no discipline.

posted on Nov, 7 2015 @ 08:14 PM
link   

Yeah. I read it.

“I did ask the principal, ‘If something had happened in our family, and she needed to console her cousin, or her cousin wanted to console her, would Ella get in trouble?” Fishbough told Click Orlando. “She said, ‘Yes, ma’am. She would get a PDA.'”

posted on Nov, 7 2015 @ 08:15 PM
link   

Yeah.

Zero tolerance = Zero common sense ,gwad forbid some official took a chance it's called cover thine own ass at all cost, that's what's being imparted to the youths .

posted on Nov, 7 2015 @ 08:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: Spider879

Elementary school, that's how we are living right now, kids may not point a gun finger, hug your buddy toss your friend to the ground and rough housed ,for fear of...it will lead to something

Yes.

No touching stops bullying too.

Many keep stating how the schools aren't teaching anymore. I'm finding the opposite. The focus is 100% on learning.

posted on Nov, 7 2015 @ 08:18 PM
link   

If you read the article, she had a previous warning with no discipline.

Oh no, a repeat offender! Maybe the should hire campus police to work her over next time!

posted on Nov, 7 2015 @ 08:19 PM
link   

Yeah. I read it.

“I did ask the principal, ‘If something had happened in our family, and she needed to console her cousin, or her cousin wanted to console her, would Ella get in trouble?” Fishbough told Click Orlando. “She said, ‘Yes, ma’am. She would get a PDA.'”

K. Subject not worth effort of argument.

Statement of fact: my grandson's school has a no physical touch policy.

+7 more 
posted on Nov, 7 2015 @ 08:20 PM
link   
a reply to: Spider879

It's a shame that kindness is punished because adults cannot fathom reality from the rule book.

Oh well, the message here is clear - if you're a student at school and are feeling down and showing it and could use a hug, suffer in your own self pity because no-one can comfort you the way your parents can, not even your friends.

"Dad, I was feeling really down today and Sarah came and gave me a hug and she got in trouble for it - and it's all my fault"

Political correction will be the downfall of humanity.

posted on Nov, 7 2015 @ 08:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: Enochstask
This is where Liberal insanity has run amok. The Department of Education needs to be scrapped.

I wouldn't go blaming Liberals only some religiously run schools that are mainly conservative in political outlook is just as nanny as any nutty liberal can come up with.
edit on 7-11-2015 by Spider879 because: (no reason given)

+8 more 
posted on Nov, 7 2015 @ 08:21 PM
link   

That's too bad.
How does one become a functional human being without physical contact with one's peers?

posted on Nov, 7 2015 @ 08:23 PM
link   
If I were still a student, I'd hold a "Hug Protest", a "Group Hug" to fight this idiocy.

posted on Nov, 7 2015 @ 08:23 PM
link   

That's too bad.
How does one become a functional human being without physical contact with one's peers?

Before school.

After school.

posted on Nov, 7 2015 @ 08:24 PM
link   

Before school
With whom?

After school
With whom?

posted on Nov, 7 2015 @ 08:25 PM
link   

Before school
With whom?

After school
With whom?

School: place of employment.

Do you hug your co-workers?

+8 more 
posted on Nov, 7 2015 @ 08:28 PM
link   

School: place of employment.

No. My child does not work for a living.

Do you hug your co-workers?

I have, yes. I also married one. What's your point?

edit on 11/7/2015 by Phage because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join