It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Math teacher convicted of assault, for "attacking" ex-girlfriend with waterpistol.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 7 2015 @ 12:05 PM
link   
As the headline states in this article, it's almost unbelievable, but is unfortunately true. I did a search and didn't see posted, and apologize for the sloppy links but I'm on mobile.

Just another shining example of a failed "justice system," however - this wasn't in the U.S.

From the article:
news.yahoo.com...

"Timothy Gledhill, 40, wept in court when he was told a judge would not be overturning the conviction.

Gledhill feared professional ruin after he was found guilty of soaking his furious victim with a child’s toy in a “humiliating” attack during two heated rows.

During the appeal at Canterbury Crown Court, he admitted to the judge and two magistrates that he couldn’t rule out that the water had not accidentally hit Catherine Weir in the attack."

(Again, I apologize for the crudeness)

From what I've deduced from the article, a 40-year old math teacher, in which the context I'm not too sure of, led to the 40-year old, Timothy, soaked his ex-girlfriend with a water-gun, correction - "accidentally hit during the attack."

Wow.

It is actually being considered an "attack," which I just find unbelievable. Unfortunately for many, this cannot be polarized into a partisan blame-game, for me - it truly highlights the absurdity, overreach, and the bloated nature of government and bureaucracy as a whole, not to mention those who overreact irrationally; in this case, one who feels that a waterpistol soaking is an attack worthy of assault.

Also, from the article:

"However he insisted: “I haven’t done anything wrong. She was just trying to get me into trouble. It isn’t illegal to hold a water pistol. It’s just a toy.”

The court had been played a recording of the incident made by Ms Weir in which she was heard shouting: “Stop it, stop it. Stop shooting at me.”

Judge Nigel Van Der Bijl and the magistrates dismissed Gledhill’s appeal saying they could not accept his version of events.

One certainly has to realize that the ex-girlfriend repeatedly told him to stop, but - in my opinion - a water gun is going to pose no serious threat.

I really don't have all too much else to say, this is near insanity in my opinion.

If a waterpistol constitutes attack, and assault, I could only imagine the scrutiny that our American LEO's would undergo with such logical consistency.

Back when I was a kid, which really wasn't that long ago, my friends and I would play outside in our yards - I happened to live right across the street from the local high school - having airsoft gun wars, let alone watergun fights, and we never had any problems.

If I had children of my own, I would not let them play outside with any sort of toy guns.

Crazy, crazy world.
(If already posted feel free to delete)

IMPORTANT: Using Content From Other Websites on ATS
edit on Sat Nov 7 2015 by DontTreadOnMe because: ADDED SOURCE AND EX TAGS

posted on Nov, 7 2015 @ 12:13 PM
link   
Sure...Why not, these days?
Crazy, crazy world...as you say.

posted on Nov, 7 2015 @ 12:17 PM
link   
a reply to: RomeByFire

Sorry, but I am not buying your take on this.

There have been a lot of acid attacks on former partners. It does not take too much imagination to see how a water pistol could be used to humiliate. The police do it to protestors (though at much higher pressures - water canon).

If you mess with me or my space when I do not want you to then you are imposing yourself. I have always felt like this. Your space is your space and mine is mine. Where I live in England is a very wealthy middle class white area. I have different racial features and I am not very big. I have many problems and have to assert myself continually. People have become very bully like in recent years. I think it is high time we are guaranteed the space of our own being without nasty overbearing and physically interfering bigoted sexists and racists invading that to the point of making our lives hell.

That is the other side of the coin you tossed OP!

posted on Nov, 7 2015 @ 12:19 PM
link   
a reply to: IAMTAT

If you tell someone one to stop doing something to you and they don't stop doing something what do you call it?

I think assault sounds overboard, sounds like to me he was harassing her.
But he isn't exactly innocent, she told him to stop doing what he was doing and he refused. So in principle he was wrong.
But all that said it is seems crazy to go to court over this and him come out with an assault charge.

posted on Nov, 7 2015 @ 12:22 PM
link   

She could have drowned!

posted on Nov, 7 2015 @ 12:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: Revolution9

Sorry, but I am not buying your take on this.

There have been a lot of acid attacks on former partners. It does not take too much imagination to see how a water pistol could be used to humiliate. The police do it to protestors (though at much higher pressures - water canon).

If you mess with me or my space when I do not want you to then you are imposing yourself. I have always felt like this. Your space is your space and mine is mine. Where I live in England is a very wealthy middle class white area. I have different racial features and I am not very big. I have many problems and have to assert myself continually. People have become very bully like in recent years. I think it is high time we are guaranteed the space of our own being without nasty overbearing and physically interfering bigoted sexists and racists invading that to the point of making our lives hell.

That is the other side of the coin you tossed OP!

Fair enough, although I feel as if comparing a waterpistol to acid attacks, bigoted sexists, and racists is a bit hyperbolized.

Water cannons do not equivocate to waterpistols, people do not use waterpistols to exterminate fires. There isn't enough pressure or enough water. That comparison is also hyperbolized.

If someone began shooting me with a waterpistol and I don't like it, I'd tell them to stop. If they didn't, I'd grab it. It's a waterpistol, it's not hot, and it won't cut or shoot you.

Have you ever been tickled and told them to stop, only to have them continue tickling you? If not - I apologize, moments like those are worth living for, people don't normally call the cops and press assault charges for minor instances such as these.

If acid was used, would assault be justified?
Yes.

A water cannon?
Yes.

A bigoted racist/bigoted sexist doing bigoted racist/sexist things?
Yes.

You can feel free to be fearful and humiliated by a waterpistol to the point to claim assault, this standard however should not apply to all - and if it should, there are some serious hiccups in the consistency of the law.

posted on Nov, 7 2015 @ 12:46 PM
link   
You've heard of gun crime?

Poor sod, though he was going to get away with water gun crime.

Not that the judge thinks a crime has been committed, just keeping up appearances.

posted on Nov, 7 2015 @ 12:49 PM
link   

I apologize, moments like those are worth living for, people don't normally call the cops and press assault charges for minor instances such as these.

Depends on how big a scene they make. Screaming and sobbing, falling down, hairs a mess, eye shadow running down her cheeks…. horrible.
edit on 7-11-2015 by intrptr because: spelling

posted on Nov, 7 2015 @ 01:04 PM
link   

Did she tell him to stop?

Yes.

Did he stop?

No.

Absurd as it may be to anybody not involved, that's unwanted contact. He probably should have stopped when she said stop.

Repeatedly.

posted on Nov, 7 2015 @ 01:04 PM
link   

If that's assault, we should demand that police be armed with water pistols instead of firearms. I didn't know water guns were so effective at terrorizing someone.

posted on Nov, 7 2015 @ 01:24 PM
link   

In the context of her being an ex girlfriend and all, my opinion is he should of just moved on with his life.

It was a selfish act on his part meant to get "revenge" of some sort, and now he's facing jail for being petty, hardly worth it.

posted on Nov, 7 2015 @ 01:32 PM
link   
Do you have an article link?

The title, and really, the whole post is quite sensational. What level of "Assault" was it? What penalties does he face from his conviction?

posted on Nov, 7 2015 @ 01:39 PM
link   
As I tell my 15 year old granddaughter.

"You are responsible for your actions. Make good choices. Don't do Stupid."

posted on Nov, 7 2015 @ 01:46 PM
link   
a reply to: eNumbra

Since the OP can't provide a link I will. The first three results were the inquisitor, daily mail, and daily mirror. I'll use a yahoo news link, though.

uk.news.yahoo.com...

His "punishment" is a 400 pound fine and a 12 month conditional discharge.

And yet we want to talk about the victim of the case making a big deal over nothing? This guy is wailing about professional and personal ruin when it's going to be dismissed in 12 months.

The irony is thick.

posted on Nov, 7 2015 @ 01:54 PM
link   
Maybe if the pistol didn't have a full 10ml capacity she wouldn't have been soaked to the point of yelling stop.
No one needs 10ml just to squirt someone. We really should have a ban on these high capacity water pistols.
Well, except for Rosie O'Donnell. She should have whatever she wants.

posted on Nov, 7 2015 @ 01:56 PM
link   
The horror!

posted on Nov, 7 2015 @ 02:53 PM
link   
If someone did this to me, and I told them to stop, I would be the one charged with assault.

posted on Nov, 7 2015 @ 02:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: Shamrock6
a reply to: eNumbra

Since the OP can't provide a link I will. The first three results were the inquisitor, daily mail, and daily mirror. I'll use a yahoo news link, though.

uk.news.yahoo.com...

His "punishment" is a 400 pound fine and a 12 month conditional discharge.

And yet we want to talk about the victim of the case making a big deal over nothing? This guy is wailing about professional and personal ruin when it's going to be dismissed in 12 months.

The irony is thick.

And that's about what I expected.

posted on Nov, 7 2015 @ 03:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: chr0naut

She could have drowned!

Or melted. "What a world, what a world."
edit on 7-11-2015 by VictorVonDoom because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 7 2015 @ 03:24 PM
link   
Oh my gawd, either get a sense of humor or grow a spine woman. My husband has bombarded me with unwanted, irritating water gun & garden hose ambushings. IT WAS NOT, AND IS NOT ASSAULT. In the case of water guns, it''s a thin damn stream of water, far, far from something like waterboarding or forcefully keeping a head under water without air (ACTUAL offenses that could result in serious harm or death) Also, we do not melt, unless the ex in this story is the Wicked Witch. Which I simultaneously doubt, yet believe. Petty is as petty does.

What the hell is next, charging your sibling(s) with assault because "But MOM, s/he wouldn't stop touching me!" Whiny weenies today, I swear to god.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join